Author Topic: Help!  (Read 3553 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Help!
« on: December 04, 2005, 12:51:44 AM »
I really like this plant. Again, given by a friend, no name (for the plant, that is!)

At first I though it was an Astilbe, but it deosnt grow as tall as my other varieties.

Any ideas?

http://www.softwarevoortuiniers.com/pics/RIMG0006.JPG

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
Hello Ideasguy.

Your plant is indeed an Astilbe - it's Astilbe chinensis var. pumila.  This a lovely dwarf variety which in my garden tends to flower much later than the others, around September and October.  The flowers form lovely rusty brown seedheads which persist well into winter, keeping their form and colour.  Lovely for flower arranging! You can see a picture of the seed heads on my website at http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/diarydec05.html

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:09:39 PM »
Absolutely correct again Chrissie, and thanks for the ID and the link to the appropriate page on your web site.
It seems orchestrated that its on your most recent page at this date (Dec 05) but it really is purely co-incidental!

I never thought of their advantages in flower arrangements, so thanks for that tip!

I really like that plant. It forms a thick root system as it spreads and can hold its own against weeds. Plants like that are invaluable! Its also a very reliable flower producer. With me its slow to spread, but getting better and making a better impact every year.

Ive a small division in a pot, so will plant in a new location in spring, proudly (thanks to you) with a LABEL!

Another point to make. When a certain species does well in a garden, and in the garden owners opinion its considered to be garden worthy, I think its a good idea to study the Genus and find out what other species and cultivars are available.
Ive been pleasantly surprised in such exercises. The wish list grows!

In my case its Campanula. I love all plants in that Genus
This past week Ive homed in on Veronicas. Lovely plants.
In both these Genera, theres a range of colours, and species from small and dainty to plants suitable for mid and back of border.

I'll now have a review of Astilbe!

Thanks again for solving this mystery.