Author Topic: Classification of Genera  (Read 5136 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Classification of Genera
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:54:47 AM »
Heres a link to a pdf file provided by the RHS on Classification of Genera.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSPlantFinder/documents/ClassificationofGenera.pdf     

You can set up Classifications in Ideas Genie, Ideas Genie Pro and Bonsai Genie
Then you can group your plants by Classification.
In the IG family software, I have referred to Classifications as Divisions. You'll find some genera listed as belonging to classification, some as Divisions (e.g. Narcissus), and sometines they are referred to as Categories  ::)

Heres how to set up a Genus with Divisions

Step 1
Under files, Start GA019 - Genera with Divisions/Categories
Add a Genus to the list

Step 2
Still in GA019, set up the Division/Category/Classification (whatever you choose to think of it as) with the names of the Divisions (Classifications)
You can configure Divisions, Sub Divisions and sub-sub-divisions if necessary

Step 3
Now start GA004
Select the Genus
Note that when a Genus has Divisions entered in GA019, a new button appears (wwDivisions)
This button is hidden for Genera which are not listed in GA019
Click the wwDivisions button
ww= work with (you knew that didn't you  )
In screen GA004S03, use the options to add your plant to the appropriate division.

Step 4
Now to see it displayed correctly:
In GA037, make sure the Plants with Trade Names setting is set to Full (other option is Short)
Select the Genus.
Find your plant in the list
Heres an example for a Rose, discussed in another topic on the forum. If its entered correctly, it will show like this in the Plants list:
Rosa Summer Wine (='Korizont') PBR <Cl> (Pink) [Shrub]
In this example, the Division is <Cl> = Climber

Any questions, please post with reference to the steps above.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:58:03 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Trevor Ellis

Re: Classification of Genera
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
Classification of plants is often somewhat confusing and the terms used take a bit of remembering to get things in the right order. I always find that trying to understand things piecemeal without a grasp of the 'big picture' to be frustrating. A good friend, and sensitive gardener, will only refer to plants with their common names or ones that he's made up simply so that he can remember them, isn't remotely interested in "those Latin names". Apparently his father, a farm worker all his life with a good knowledge of wildlife referred to all birds as 'budgies'! Those of us who are interested in classification and yet don't have a full knowledge or understanding might be interested in the following link in addition to the one posted by George       http://theseedsite.co.uk/class.html . I found it whilst looking for ways to improve my own very limited understanding of the subject. The site is at the National Museums Northern Ireland and not only gives the terminology but also a very clear explanation/definition of each term and how to recognize it by it's word ending e.g. Families always end in -aceae, subfamilies in - oideae etc. With for example the flowering plants (Angiosperms), it provides characteristics of the family and the physical features of the family. A really excellent site.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »
Confusing indeed Trevor.
You've actually pointed out another meaning for Classification.
In your example its Classification of Plants.
Its good that you've posted that here to allow this discussion, and perhaps a little clarification of the ambiguous terms.

In my original posting here, Program GA019 is to allow the user to set up Classifications of Genera (i.e. the groups or divisions of individual Genera)
Bows out, hoping everyone now understands :-\

Budgies indeed ::)
Try that one on Laurie and Malcolm ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »
That's a great link Trevor, thank you for posting it.

It's ideal for people (like me) who get confused about all the different names and the specific order they take.  ::)

Well worth bookmarking that site.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
another gfood site is wikipedia [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebe_(genus)][/url] i can normally find what i am looking for