Author Topic: Thumbnails  (Read 2841 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Thumbnails
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:45:33 AM »
Programming can be really satisfying, and I had fun developing this new "thumbnails" feature.

As you well know, everything is "visual" nowadays, and thumbnails are common place in good software. I've been planning this for a long time, and finally got a chance to get to work on it.
It meant a revision of every program where you can link photos, so an extensive update.

Ive posted 3 of them to let you download, try and report if there are any "issues".
Heres a direct link (IG Pro only at this stage). Go to:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igprox/

and download GA030 to begin with.
OOPS! It says Version 3 on that web page. Its not, its Version 6. Will Fix later. The Issue date is correct (5th Sept 06).
Install and Start GA030.
Make sure it shows as version 6 in the title bar of the initial screen GA030S01
Find a folder with photos.
Look for the thumbnails button.
Click it, and let me know your Yea or Nay if its working.

If GA030 works, go ahead and download GA004 and GA032
Ive done a lot of work to GA032 (the Reviews program) and have really enjoyed testing it. I'll post a separate thread on that program later.

Comments please, members.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »
George, I've tried out the thumbnails. After installing the new application I had to do some search work to find the thumbnail function. I thought it would appear on the openingsscreen. There I found nothing. Then after a few new downloads (we are a patient species), a penny dropped and I opened the GA030S01 screen: there it was in all its glory: the thumbnail button. I choose a folder and opened the picturecollections. It worked prima.
Picasa2 (photoprogram I'm working with) has also such a thumbnail function, but this one is better: bigger pictures, better to oversee. A  pluspoint for IG Pro, I would say. And a hightended functionality. Keep up the good work, George!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Thumbnails
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 09:55:41 AM »
Thats great André, and thanks for the encouraging comments.

I've designed the program to display 20 thumbnails at a time. If there's more than 20 photos in the folder, you use the arrow right and arrow left buttons to go to the next/previous 20 photos.
Theres an advantage if its a big folder. Means you dont have to wait until the whole folder is loaded up into thumbnails (as in Picassa).
Disadvantage is you dont have immediate visibility of the entire folder.

As you know, theres a pop-up on screen GA030S01, GA004S16 etc which allows you to toggle between List unused photos only (the default) and List ALL photos.
That filter is respected when you click on the Thumbnails button.

Thus, when you click Thumbnails button in the default setting, you only see thumbnails for photos which you havent linked, so there's less need for paging on to the next 20 thumbnails.

Comment from members would be much appreciated (its YOUR forum, please help make it a success)
Just post your reply to the last message in the thread.