Author Topic: Red Arrows Crash Pilot Memorial  (Read 3943 times)

NightHawk

Red Arrows Crash Pilot Memorial
« on: May 27, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
On two of our walks over the past 2 days we've come across memorials to a Red Arrows pilot who tragically died in August 2011.

Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging died when his Hawk aeroplane crashed after displaying at the Bournemouth Air Festival on 20 August 2011.

Photo 1 is the scene of the actual crash site in a little Dorset village called Throop on the River Stour.  The large tree to the left has tributes from members of the public in the form of ribbons tied around its branches.  The beautiful scenery belies this tragedy.

Photo 1 - crash site

Today we were in Bournemouth, walking along the clifftop, when we came across an official memorial to Flt. Lt. Egging (see photos below):

Photo 2 - the full memorial.

Photo 3 is a closeup of the design with the red, white and blue smoke trails the Red Arrows use in their displays, represented by glass beads set into metal.

Photo 3 - closeup of design

In front of the memorial is a plaque set in stone.

Photo 4 - the plaque in a stone setting

Photo 5 - a closeup of the message on the plaque

We had seen this incident reported on the news on the day it had occurred, but this is the first time we have been to the crash site and the memorial erected in his honour.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:55:48 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Red Arrows Crash Pilot Memorial
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:03:25 AM »
Yes, I remember the accident Laurie. As I recall they were due to perform at a display in N. Ireland, but it was cancelled due to this tragedy.
That memorial is very clever. At first glance I thought I was looking up at an aerial display! Very realistic.
How creative those primary school pupils are to have come up with that original idea.