Author Topic: Pentax and Nikon Cameras  (Read 4551 times)

NightHawk

Pentax and Nikon Cameras
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
The first 35mm manual film camera I started to use was an Asahi Pentax S1a.

I used an exposure meter to take light levels as the camera did not have any meters built in.  It was very hands-on then and it taught me a lot.  The lenses were interchangeable, so you could go from your 'Portrait' lens to a long tele-photo lens by just unscrewing one then screwing in the other one.  Flash attachments were also separate pieces of equipment, so by the time you have all your bits with you for a photo shoot, you're laden down like a pack-horse.

I purchased this equipment whilst working in my first job as a photographic assistant/salesman in the Photographic Department of the Co-operative store in Stockton.

As a way of gaining experience in the use of cameras the Manager would give me assignments around Stockton.  Photographing architecture and street scenes using black-and-white film, then developing them myself.

I used colour film for my own personal use, but had these developed in a photo lab (it was too expensive to do your own film processing in those days.)

I later purchased another Pentax, this time it was the MX model.  It was still a manual 35mm camera but it did have a built-in exposure meter.  The light readings were taken from the read-out through the viewfinder.  The shutter speed was set with a dial, given speeds from 'Bulb' (fully open) up to 1,000th of a second.  The aperture (or f-stop) was set from between f2.8 to f16.

By careful manipulation of the shutter speed and aperture, you could control your depth of field.  This was the area that was in focus from just in front of the subject being taken to the area behind the subject.  The larger the aperture setting, e.g. f2.8 (this giving the largest opening and allowing the maximum amount of light in), the less depth of field you got.  Ideal for taking portrait shots of people or animals as this enabled the main subject to remain sharp and stand out more clearly, by putting the background out of focus.
With a setting of f16 (the smallest opening and letting the least amount of light in), pretty much all of your scene from near to far would be in focus.  This setting was useful for taking landscapes.

I still have those two cameras right up to this day, in mint condition.  Those were the days.  ::)

This now brings us to the digital era.

I now only shoot with my digital camera which is a Nikon Coolpix 8700, 8 megapixel, with built-in flash.
It is classed as a semi-professional camera with a fixed lens.  The professional models with interchangeable lenses are much more expensive.  Maybe one day I'll 'upgrade', but for now mine does the jobs I want.

(Edited with updated equipment info - see Nikon D60 - My New Little Baby.)

The settings for shutter speed, aperture, etc., are now all menu driven.  It took a bit of getting used to at first, having been weaned on manual cameras for such a long time.  It takes perseverence and taking lots of photos to get used to all the different settings, and discovering what works best for you in certain conditions.  Once you've done this, you then don't have to think too much about getting the camera into the correct mode when it's most needed, and risk missing that all important moment.

With your photos being digital, you don't have to worry about wasting rolls of film any more and the expense of getting them developed.  You can now take as many pictures as you want, and choose the best one/s for printing yourself, so saving a lot of money.

Your photos can also be shared amongst your friends and relatives much more easily.  With most households now having at least one computer, you can take a picture and have it on the Internet within minutes to show people.

This gardening forum is a perfect example of the two mediums coming together for the greater good.

You already have your computer (otherwise you would'nt be here  ;D ) and armed with your trusty digital camera you can take photos of your prized plants and gardens, and share them with other Forum members.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  It's so much easier to show a photo of a favourite plant, than trying to explain what it looks like.

It would be nice to hear from other members about what equipment they use, and what experiences they've had getting to know it.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:16:12 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Pentax and Nikon Cameras
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:42:32 PM »
My first camera was a Zorki 4k, bought in the early 70's.
It was a rangefinder (you look through a little window, not the lens.)
In my day job (I was a Mechanical Engineer in those days) I worked with a guy who was a camera fanatic, and I bought that model per his recommendations.

I bought the same kind of kit as you did, Laurie. I had a Flash, which you attached to the  top of the camera as required, and a hand held Light meter.
It was very good kit in its day, and I took lots of very good photos of my "kids". I experimented with black and white, and used colour for those special occasions. We were able to develop our B&W film, but colour was beyond our studio capabilities.

All the settings you mentioned were available ISO speeds, F settings - great fun.
My wife used to complain that by the time I had set up, the "moment" had long passed  ;D

Like you, the camera, flash and light meter are still functional! At least, I expect they are - I havent used them in a while!
Mind you, my first garden photos were taken with that kit. The first 2 Digital cameras I used (borrowed from my day job) were very poor quality initially, but boy, they soon evolved!

Footnote:
Found a link, with a photo of my Zorki 4K
I see the guy found them fun to use!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:47:08 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
We have witnessed some rather amusing antics from photography fanatics over the years.

Our funniest moment was on one of our holidays to Disneyworld, Florida back in the 1990s.

There was a large group of male and female Japanese tourists, and we knew from previous experience that they will photograph almost anything with great vigour.

Anyway, on this particular occasion they were all armed to the teeth with their camera gear taking pictures of .......... the public conveniences.  Kathy and I thought at first they's spotted something else so we were having a good look about.  But no, sure enough the toilets were their target.  ::)  We both looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Don't get me wrong, I have the greatest respect for the Japanese people and I'm not mocking them in any way, but it was just so funny to see how far they would go to get another 'memorable' shot of their visit.  It was a classic moment.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:31:11 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »
This is my current digital camera (see below).

The lens, although fixed, can extend to various zoom levels, right down to macro level just inches from the subject.

My favourite settings, especially for photographing flowers, is the portrait mode at close distance to capture as much detail as possible of the whole plant, and/or close-up mode to get detail of a single bloom.  If your camera supports this feature then I would highly recommend it.  The more detail that can be shown, then the more dramatic your photograph will be.

It's best to experiment with your digital camera to see what the capabilities are.  You could be surprised.  Even the cheaper models of cameras nowadays can achieve outstanding results.

For those of you who have been following my postings of flowers on the Forum will know what I mean (large close-ups being my trademark).

With the aid of my imaging software - Photoshop Elements 6 - I can get really good quality close-up images by reducing the file size to still maintain good quality images, and still allowing for them to load quickly into web pages and on the Forum pages.

Laurie.