Author Topic: Weird lighting again!  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Palustris

Weird lighting again!
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
Tomorrow I am going to a show. As posted before the lighting is very odd in the hall. I am going to take both cameras and take shots with the White blance altered n the old camera, and then take the same shot with the other camera, but save the picture in both RAW and Jpeg format. I might them get a decent picture. However, one small probelm. I have a program which allows me to work on Raw images, but as far as I can see I cannot then save the altered images as JPEGs. Has anyone any info on free (empahsis on the free) programs which will change Raw to Jpeg?

Offline Palustris

Re: Weird lighting again!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »
Silly me. In Silkypics one Develops the Raw image into a Jpg one, not save it. And it saves it into the last folder open rather than the current one.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »
Well, as they say, some times its just good to talk about a problem with friends. Glad we were able to help  :)

Enjoy your day out tomorrow Eric. I'm sure you are really looking forward to that!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
Well I hope you are not expecting any pictures because as far as I can see every shot taken with either camera is out of focus. Dont understand why, but they are!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
What a disappointment! I can imagine how annoyed you must be as you probably could have seen far more if you didnt have to stop and take photos all the time.

Apart from that, did you have a good day out?

I had the same problem (out of focus, or so it seemed), but it was quite easy to find the reason.
My grandson had to get the camera to play with last time out. He wrapped his hand round the camera and a little finger smudge was left right in the centre of the lens!
The photos of that precious Rhodo in bloom were a failure!

Incidentally, folk. Do you clean your lenses? What with?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:59:08 PM »

Sorry to hear about the focus problem.
How could it happen with both cameras? where you on auto focus with both, if so the lack of light may have been the problem. not allowing the auto focus to work properly.

Cleaning lenses George

Well I tend to use my slr lenses "Naked" ie without any filters. A decent filter that doesn't detract from the quality of the lens, can cost up to 60 to 80 pounds.
When I need to clean a lens, I first blow off any dust with a Rocket blower, then gently blow onto the lens and then wipe the lens glass with a Microfibre cloth gently. A small amount of dust etc on a lens is unlikely to show in a picture, a finger mark will. keep a lens cap on when not taking pictures.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:30:01 AM »
Incidentally, folk. Do you clean your lenses? What with?
Here's a very useful link describing this process - especially useful for the less comfortable/experienced camera users.  ;)

How to Clean Camera Lenses

Admirably describes the process Malcolm and I adhere to.  ;D

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:57:58 AM »
Both lens are clean (done as described and cap kept on anyway)
Talked to the professional photographers and both said that there was little point taking pictures in the Hall as no matter what they did they could not get a true colour representation. The lighting is so varied throughout. Near the windows you get some natural light, in the middle it is the odd orange filtered and at the end some of the orange covers have been changed for translucent and  it is in shadow. See what I mean. They are allowed to remove plants to the natural outside light.
I think the problem with one camera was that the Autoficus was turned off somehow and the other I do not know. Hopefully the majority of the plants are likely to be in Blackpool next Saturday so I will try again then, if we manage to go.