Author Topic: Manual focus or Autofocus on Digital SLR Cameras?  (Read 3813 times)

NightHawk

Manual focus or Autofocus on Digital SLR Cameras?
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »
This subject was raised by Malcolm in another section of the Forum (http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1413.msg9895/topicseen.html#msg9895), so I've answered it here so as to not confuse the original posting.

.... I prefer not to use autofocus on my cameras, much prefer to have manual control, especially at small depth of field which close ups are. and also use the viewfinder instead of the lcd display to see whats in the picture. One of the old brigade me  ;D
Malcolm
I am also of the 'old school' Malcolm (at least as far as photography goes anyway  :D) so I can understand your methods, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

I would also like to give some encouragement to other digital SLR camera users, in case they are a bit confused about the 'manual' approach.

ALL of the flower photos I have submitted on the Forum have been used with either my Nikon Coolpix 8700 or Nikon D60 Digital SLR set to Autofocus.  This has served me well whether it is a close-up shot or a more general landscape shot.

There may be occasions where the subject matter being photographed has many objects at various distances from the camera, thereby confusing the autofocus feature of the camera and giving you an out-of-focus shot of the particular plant you were trying to focus on.  This is where having the knowledge to override your autofocus and set it to manual focus is worth knowing about.
I know how to set my camera to manual if the need arises, so it is important to familiarise yourself with your own camera - so you don't mess up that all-important shot.  Especially if you're far away from home and can't get back easily to 'do it again.'

Comments from our other members regarding how they use their Digital SLR's are welcomed here ;)

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Manual focus or Autofocus on Digital SLR Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »
Comments from our other members regarding how they use their Digital SLR's are welcomed here ;)
Laurie.
Here is my two penneth: I use auto-focus and manual focusing on my Canon 450D.  I use auto-focus most of the time because I find it works admirably. What I do though is have the focusing set on the centre spot so I can choose exactly what I am focusing on, half depress the button then recompose the picture. Like Malcolm I use manual focus for macro shots where the depth of field is shallow but this MUST be using a tripod because the slightest movement puts the focus out. I also use manual focus with my church interiors when I have my camera on a tripod. For things like stained glass windows, for example, you can manual focus precisely on the details.