Author Topic: Garden funnies  (Read 37291 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Garden funnies
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »
Glad you are OK Toby. You were very wise to have stocked up with food.
Sorry to hear about all that chaos. Dreadful.

Until things get back to normal, dont even think about going hiking  ;D

RE:
PATH: In most gardens, the shortest distance between two eyesores. ? H.B. & R.McK.   
Yes, as the dog runs.
Not necessarily as the poor old gardener walks!

Offline bossgard

« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2009, 04:04:09 AM »
DAFFY DEFINTION #113

GIN: 1. Remarkable agricultural aid developed in the 19th century by Yankee tinkerers. 2. Remarkable agricultural aid developed in the 18th century by British distillers. ? J.B. & R.McK.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2009, 04:05:29 AM »
DAFFY DEFINTION #114

BEACH PLUM: 1. Bothersome seashore fruit that may be converted with considerable effort into a bland jelly. 2. Attractive scantily clad young lady on the beach who may be observed at a fairly close range while pretending to pick 1. ? H.B. & R.McK.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2009, 04:08:13 AM »
DAFFY DEFINITION:  #115

POISON IVY: If, like most people, you are allergic to this plant, the slightest touch is far worse than itching powder. You?ll just have to learn to live with it ? it?s one of nature?s little ?gags.? Others include lightning, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, cobwebs, poodles, and the mumps. ? H.B. & R.McK.

(This definition is certainly correct when it includes ?floods? in its definition of ?one of nature?s little ?gags?.? They are still mopping up after the recent episode of floods in this area of the planet. Such tragedy! I don?t if you know it, but all waters in the US are under the control of the US Army Corps of Engineers. No private companies are involved in making decisions about the usage and control of water. One of our first presidents made that decision. Certainly a very wise one.)   

- Toby

Offline bossgard

« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2009, 05:09:17 AM »
DAFFY DEFINITION #116

GARDEN: One of a vast number of free outdoor restaurants operated by charity-minded amateurs in an effort to provide healthful, balanced meals for insects, birds, and animals. ? H.B. & R.McK.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
DAFFY DEFINITION #117

PINCHING: Pruning method developed in Italian gardens. ? H.B. & R.McK.

(27 degrees F. at Seattle-International Airport this morning, expected high 40 degrees ? BRRRRR.)

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Wrap up and take care Toby! Its fairly cold here as well, so dont feel victimised  ;D
Temp was 1 degree C at 9am

Offline bossgard

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
DAFFY DEFINITION #118

TREE PAINT: Tarry compound daubed on exposed tree wounds to prevent viruses and bacteria from penetrating the cambium layer, and usually smeared on hands, gloves, and clothes as well, possibly as a modern holdover from an ancient Druidic ritual in which the spirit of the tree, infuriated by having one of its favorite limbs hacked off to provide a little sunlight for the terrace, is propitiated and mollified by seeing the perpetrator of the deed covered in black goo. ? H.B. & R.McK.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2009, 04:57:32 PM »
DAFFY DEFINITION #119

PEST: Any creature that eats green vegetables without being compelled to. ? H.B. & R.McK.

(Northwest Flower & Garden Show, Feb 18-22, 2009, Convention Center, 7th and Pike, Seattle, WA ? US, garden show.com. Will try to put on our schedule.)

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
I'll be back! Well, its my dream  :D
Every time I think back on how Doug organised our Ideas Genie booth at the Northwest F&G show in 2003 I'm re-energised again. That man is incredible.
What a great week that was. I was overcome with the friendliness of the people in that region, and it was a pleasure to talk to so many people who stopped by our booth.
Its like a driving inner force - I'll be back! (and to do Chelsea of course!!)

I hope you get to the show, Toby. Be sure to give us a report!

Offline bossgard

« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »
DAFFY DEFINTION #121

NUTSHELL: Handy container for abbreviated forms of botanical misinformation. ? H.B. & R.McK.

(When I saw the advertisement in the newspaper re; Garden Show, I told myself that I had to remind George. Have you heard anything from Doug?)

- Toby

(Add on since writing above; in this morning?s Seattle Times Newspaper front page:
Where would all the flowers go?
Northwest Flower and Garden Show May Make Its Last Run This Year
Founding owner wants to pursue other interests, but a buyer is elusive in troubled economy
54,000 Attendance, 300 Exhibitors, $1.8 Million Revenue
Show outdraws all similar events except Philadelphia?s (PA-US) flower show, which began in 1829.)

Offline bossgard

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
DAFFY DEFINITION #122

LEGGY: A plant is said to be ?leggy? when it has a long, bare stem, and little foliage. Other undesirable characteristics include ?pushy,? ?coarse,? ?rootless,? ?seedy,? and ?dead.? ? H.B. & R.McK.   

Offline bossgard

« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »
DAFFY DEFINITION #120

TERRARIUM: The home gardener who enjoys playing ?God? can create a complete miniature closed environment in a covered jar, and old aquarium, or any other glass container. A balance of compatible plants and small animals, such as frogs or lizards, is essential. Once the little ?world? is prospering, weird and contradictory ?commandments? can be written on the backs of old dominoes or Scrabble tiles and dropped in through the top, while an old saucepan is beaten loudly with a spoon and the lights are turned on and off rapidly. Disappointment with the way things are going ?down there? can be expressed by shaking the terrarium violently, as if preparing a whiskey sour; by ?expelling? the inhabitants by turning it upside down; or by emptying a bucket or two of water into it along with vague plans for an ?ark.? And for an ?end of the world? effect, it may be thrown from a second-story window or simply put in the garbage. ? H.B. & R.McK.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
Is the thread to add this? I took this at my son's house in Canada. Unfortunately the aubergine came from the market, he did not grow it.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
Brilliant!

NightHawk

« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2009, 11:12:14 AM »
Is the thread to add this?