Author Topic: A puzzle  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
A puzzle
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »
We have two holly trees either side of out front gate cut like lollipops. This year they have both been covered in berries. The berries on the northern one have vanished and the berries on the southern one are virtually untouched. Why?  ???
There has been a flock of fieldfares around recently.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A puzzle
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »
A puzzle indeed Eric. My blackbirds used to leave the orange berries on one of my Pyranthas to Christmas day. It happened two years in succession. I hadn't noticed them taking the berries up to that date. The bush grew against the "front" end of an old railway wagon which I used for a shed. It was at least 45 years in that spot. I planted the Pyracantha about 15 years ago. It was a lovely plant. The wagon has now been demolished (another story!)

Back to your holly trees - perhaps the lollipops have different flavours  ;D ::).

Birds are strange creatures. They prefer to eat in flocks. Ive noticed sometimes when I have thrown seed in two spots that they would tussle over one feast (sometimes there are bullies in the pack), not noticing that there was a second available.
Perhaps they were grouped on one bush, and were disturbed before finishing the first course?

Is there a logical explanation? Perhaps some of our other members will comment.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
The Mistle thrush is the UK’s largest thrush and in early autumn birds gather in large flocks to feed together.  But as soon as holly berries appear, they will split off on their own or into pairs and get defensive.  Each bird or pair will find itself a holly tree or bush teeming with berries and will set up a territory.

The berries on that tree won’t be eaten, but will be guarded with such care that no other birds can take them either.  Mistle thrushes are so good at protecting their trees, just in case, that by spring many will still have their full crop of berries untouched, long after any unprotected holly has had its fruit stripped.

So, if you see a holly tree that’s still full of berries at Christmas, you’ll probably find there’s a Mistle thrush nearby keeping out a watchful eye for thieves.

This is a possibility for your holly trees Eric.

Birds see many more colours than humans can.  They have additional colour cones in their retina that are sensitive to ultraviolet range so they see colours that are invisible to humans.  That's why red berries are usually the first to be eaten, being the brightest and more attractive, as opposed to the drabber orange ones which are the last to go.  Another explanation for your Blackbirds leaving your orange berries to last George.

When your trees are full of berries and therefore more food to choose from, our wonderful birds can afford to be 'picky' - just like humans really  :D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:51:58 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »
Thank you Laurie for that very informative reply. That is very interesting. Whether it because we have just entered a cold snap (-7 degrees C yesterday and this morning) but I have just checked and the second tree is now stripped. There was a flock of mistle thrushes sitting in our large apple tree yesterday we noticed but it may not have been them. I noticed a pair of blackbirds on the tree eating away yesterday morning.

Eric

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
Very good and informative posting from you once again Laurie :)
I did wonder about those Orange berries.

We have flocks of Starlings which arrive and strip one of our Rowan (Sorbus) trees. Its at least 40 years old and has small red berries, and my late father was ever so curious to know why they took ours before others in the locality. I now have three varieties of Sorbus (I grew the other two varieties from seed), and than old one continues to be stripped first, and quite early, as soon as they are ripe.
I have three specimens of one of the other variety. They have larger red berries. They are left to mature! In fact they fall off the tree in bunches.
Too big? Not as tasty? Wrong colour? My dad never did get an answer to that one.

My third variety (also grown from seed) appears identical to Sorbus Joseph Rock.
Quote from site below:
Sorbus Joseph Rock is a bright yellow berried rowan tree very suitable for the small garden.
It also has terrific autumn colour when the foliage turns a vivid scarlet.
http://www.johnstoa.co.uk/sorbusjosephrock.htm
http://www.rbge.org.uk/the-gardens/edinburgh/seasons-highlights
Indeed it is. Berries are yellow/cream - I recommend that one - its a lovely dainty little tree, a beauty in autumn. However, not favoured by our birds.

Looks like you'll need to put CCTV up next year to solve your puzzle Eric! Mr Gadget may have one (???)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:51:15 PM by ideasguy »