Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Jenna

Rhubarb
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
I just purchased 5 plug plants of rhubarb(victoria) on ebay.  I think I was a little click happy really, as I had gone on for crowns and saw an action ended and didn't read it properly.  There is no advice about what to do with them, so I was wondering if they should go in the ground now.  Also, will I be able to pick stalks off these this spring, or do I still need a crown for this year?  Any advice appreciated :)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
depending on how big they are depend on if they can go in the ground this year, i would be tempted to put into pots and plant in ground come the spring, should produce stalks from next year, think its to late to get any rhubarb stalks of new crowns this year, link to my seeds of same rhubarb on my website http://gardenplantsbypost.com/oscom/product_info.php/cPath/21_25/products_id/146
Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
Yes, theres good advice on Phil's website, Jenna.

They should produce stalks next year, but the size of the stalks may depend on the size of the crown.
Ive read that large crowns should be divided into lumps about the size of your fist, so that seems to be a good size for producing something for next year.
Ive kept one in a pot overwinter for a friends garden, but you have to tend to its needs. It produced small skinny stems in the pot.
Personally, I would plant the crowns you have purchased now, as I believe they will be happier and will develop better over early spring when in the ground.
If you are concerned, then how about planting the 3 biggest ones and put 2 in pots ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:47:26 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Jenna

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
Thank you for the advice :)  I was worried that they would be vulnerable to the frost in pots, as I don't have a greenhouse.  I think I will split them :)  I really would love to have some to eat next summer!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »
Yes, not a bad idea to hedge your bets! How big are the crowns Jenna?

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »
Thank you for the advice :)  I was worried that they would be vulnerable to the frost in pots, as I don't have a greenhouse.  I think I will split them :)  I really would love to have some to eat next summer!

If you can get some straw cover the pots in it, the straw will protect the pots from frost, in the winter though the plant wont be growing so you should in theory be able to keep the pots inside somewhere dark and frost free, what you reckon george ?, plant a couple out and cover with straw all bases covered then

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
Sounds good to me Phil.

Offline Jenna

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
Thanks again.  They have not arrived yet, so I am not sure about the size.  They are coming this week.  As are my blackberry canes, or they better had or I am cancelling them, they were due ages ago!  I am thinking of putting them in pots and burying them though as you scared me George about them going mad and taking over!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
I wouldnt plant them in pots, Jenna. They grow deep roots, and wouldn't like being confined to a pot.
Plant them in the ground as soon as you get them. If you keep them under control they will be OK.

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
Probably a bit late now for a reply Jenna but I've not been on the forum for a while and whilst catching up I noticed that no-one had mentioned forcing rhubarb. I always used to cover one plant with one of those black plastic compost bins early in the year. This gives very tender and juicy stems earlier than if they are left in the open and of course this is how the large producers grow it albeit on a much larger scale in darkened sheds. It's not wise to cover the same plant every year since it's said that the plant will weaken. I always alternated and only left the covers on for the first few pickings.
I agree with the other guys that growing in pots is not a good idea. As for frost, I've heard/read that some gardeners always dig up the root and leave it on the soil surface exposed to frost over winter and then re-plant in early spring. Never done this myself though. Rhubarb likes to be fed a lot and if you can get any, manure, especially goat since it's well balanced will make the world of difference.

Hope that you get a good crop,

Trevor