Author Topic: Overworked?  (Read 2408 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Overworked?
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
James and I were walking down my driveway today and he spotted a bee on the ground. I watched, thinking it would take off.
We gave it a gentle nudge, but no sign of life. Ive never seen anything like that before. With this "heatwave" (- yes and its APRIL) could those busy little creatures be overworked and dying from exhaustion?

NightHawk

Re: Overworked?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
With this "heatwave" (- yes and its APRIL) could those busy little creatures be overworked and dying from exhaustion?
It would most likely have been a queen bee collecting pollen to set up her colony.

The queen bumble bee survives winter by hibernating and some may emerge as early as February if the weather is warm.
More usually she emerges between April and June looking for suitable nesting sites, which are built from pollen and wax for her to lay her eggs.

The eggs hatch after 4-6 days and the larvae begin to feed and grow.  After 10-20 days the larvae make their own silk cocoons and pupate.
After approximately 14 days they hatch into worker bees.
Worker bees, which are smaller than the queen bee, may be seen collecting pollen and nectar for the queen who stays in the nest and builds brood chambers.

So the bee you saw George had most likely been overloaded with pollen and was having a rest.  Hopefully she would have recovered soon afterwards and continued onto her nest site.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »
Afraid the news is not good, Laurie. I read your message, went and looked where we sat her yesterday, and she hasn't moved.
Deceased, I'm afraid :(

Interesting information you have posted, thanks. It was a large bumble bee. Does that mean it was a Queen bee?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:27:49 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
Such a shame about that George but it does happen often.

There are about 25 different species of bumblebee in Britain, with a variety in sizes between the queens.  You would need to be able to compare a queen against a worker of the same species to determine this.

I still think it is most likely to have been a queen, purely going on the time of year this has occurred - but I may be wrong.  If a colony has already been established due to the warmer start to the season, then it could be a worker.

Laurie.