Author Topic: Brugmansias.  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Brugmansias.
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »

Monica

I just wondered if you grow Brugmansia in your garden. Or is it too hot for them.
They certainly create a lot of interest to visitors in our garden, we have even had people falling down a step onto the lawn because they have been astonished on entering the 'exotic' back garden. (We had to do a modification to the patio to prevent them repeating that). :)

It would be nice to see a list of plants you grow Monica, have you any plans to catalogue your plants with Georges software. 8)

Malcolm
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:26:38 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline TXGulfCoast

• Planting Until I'm Planted
Re: Brugmansias.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:10:51 AM »
Yes, indeed, we do grow Brugs and even Daturas usually go on a few years.  One fellow struggles to keep a B. sanguinea going, but the B. versicolor cultivars do fine in ground, until a hard freeze  >:(.  The common ones here are a pink and probably Charles Grimaldi which has jagged leaf edges.  No one knows the actual cutivar names since they're been passed around for so long.  I do  white and a peachier color as well.  They bloom in flushes whenever it's warm.

I have a small garden so there's only room for one in ground and that's the Charles Grimaldi-ish one.  As you know they?re very heavy feeders and I?m rather lacksidaisical about fertilizing, so I don?t get the huge flushes that others might. 

I've tried 3 times to post an image and struck out all 3 times.  It would have been what mine looked like at 8 months old (from a .5 meter pruning); if I can ever find instructions on how to do it, I'll post the photo.

I just received IG Pro, and discovered my CD drive was CD-funct.  Then I needed to change a number of security settings to get it rolling.  George and I had a lively email exchange today.  But it?s now loaded, even though anyone can now hack into my computer, and I do plan to start cataloging after I?ve religiously gone through the tutorials (that last is in case George reads this).  My garden will never match your accomplishments, but all that work does keep me off the streets, and there might be a few interesting plants to share with others.

Monica

Offline TXGulfCoast

• Planting Until I'm Planted
Re: Brugmansias.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:45:11 AM »
I've finally figured out the photo posting.

This is Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' at about 8 months after planting from a cutting.  The pix was taken on December 12th, 2007 during a "normal winter".

After a good run, this is the poor fellow now.  You can see the size of the trunk it reached after 3 years.

I'd love more brugmansias.  There's a white called 'Cyrpess Gardens' that gardeners are saying is very fragrant with monthly prolific flowering on a compact plant.

Since it's still so chilly, nothing is popping back as it should.  Just now beginning to see a bit of green on some of the tropicals I thought were goners... there's hope yet.

Monica