Author Topic: Culture grade question  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Culture grade question
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
Hi George,
I was just looking at the list of a few favourite plants that I'd sent you for the Master Database (really interesting to see how other members use this and great potential by the way) and clicked on Polystichum setiferum 'Herrenhausen' in my own list to see what photograph I'd sent of it or if indeed I had sent one (the end of the line wasn't visible in the window since it's such a long name). The check revealed that indeed I hadn't sent one. As I did this I noticed that the info in the bottom right hand box wasn't the info that I have in my own database and thought that it seemed a little misleading/confusing.

For 'Aspect requirement' it gave 'Full shade' and in sunlight requirement it gave 'Sun'. I thought that this information might be somewhat confusing to anyone not already familiar with the plant's requirements. It won't like full sun but is suitable for full shade. However it's best in semi shade. Aspect isn't important so long as, preferably, it's in semi shade (i.e. dappled light or not more than half the day in full sun). I wonder if the term 'aspect' in 'culture grades' is interpreted differently by people. I hadn't thought about it before having considered 'aspect' to be either north, south, east, west or one of the intermediaries. But then people refer also to a 'sunny aspect' etc etc. To confuse matters further, a plant/garden area can obviously have a southern aspect and be in dappled light etc. etc. Would it be worth doing something e.g. Aspect (N/S/E/orW) in culture grades (GA100S30CG) to avoid any doubt/confusion regarding it's meaning? Or am I being too precise? Maybe my Virgo rising is getting the better of me!

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Trevor