Author Topic: Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, Church of St Giles.  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, Church of St Giles.
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
We went with friends to Stoke Poges on Sunday where Thomas Gray wrote his famous "Elegy written in a Country Churchyard" The path to the church was lined with beautiful standard roses with beautiful scents. Here are a couple whose names, unfortunately I don't know and Anthea enjoying the perfume.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, Church of St Giles.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »
Very good indeed Eric.
Like the photos! Captured to perfection.  As we've already discussed, white is difficult, but you've managed it superbly.

Its nice to see Anthea enjoying the scent.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »
We went with friends to Stoke Poges on Sunday where Thomas Gray wrote his famous "Elegy written in a Country Churchyard"
Eric H
Here's a link to that very same Poem for anyone who's interested.

Great photos again Eric.  ;D

It's nice to see your 'better half' enjoying the heady perfume of the roses.  :)  (Who's the gentleman with her?  He looks strangely familiar, but I know it's not you Eric.  :D)

Laurie.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:40:14 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
Like the photos!
Thanks George. I was lucky that there was a bank of trees I could use to give a dark background.

Here's a link to that very same Poem for anyone who's interested.
Thanks Laurie. I found a similar site and copied and pasted it to my shot of the graveyard on Flickr. The poem is much longer than I remembered, I think we must have just learned the first few stanzas at school  :)

It's nice to see your 'better half' enjoying the heady perfume of the roses.  :)  (Who's the gentleman with her?  He looks strangely familiar, but I know it's not you Eric.  :D)
That is a Flickr friend from Oxford called Martin Beek. He,  his wife, Anthea and I sometimes go on what we call church crawls photographing and recording. (A bit too young to be me  :(  about 30 years my junior but we get on famously. He fits somewhere in between the age group of our eldest and youngest sons.).

Eric H