Author Topic: Sycamore Problem  (Read 9681 times)

NightHawk

Sycamore Problem
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:03:14 AM »
We had a sycamore type tree in our front garden about 4 to 5 years ago, that had grown to a height of about 10 feet.

It was in between another shrub (name unknown) and some holly bushes.

The unknown shrub used to have flowers on it until this sycamore started to get bigger.

I cut the sycamore down to ground level, but the other shrub no longer flowers and it is very 'twiggy.'  We assume that the sycamore had stolen the nutrients from it which caused it to become weak.  The holly bushes are unaffected.

The sycamore has started to grow again, and has now reached a height of about 6 feet, so apparently cutting it down wasn't particularly effective.

Does anyone know how to deal with them to stop future growth?  Would digging up its root sytem be an answer?

Any suggestions welcome please.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Sycamore Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
Would digging up its root sytem be an answer?

Any suggestions welcome please.

Laurie.

worth a try

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
Thanks Phil.

That option was going to be my last resort though.  I don't want to risk damaging the root systems of the surrounding shrubbery if at all possible.

I'm hoping maybe someone knows if there's anything that you can paint onto the cut-down trunk to stop new growth.

Failing that, I'll have to try digging it up.  :-\

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:04:43 PM »
There is a method. Our friend used to to get rid of a very invasive and vigorous Hazel. I cut it down to ground level for him with the chain saw. Then, he drilled holes in the remaining stump and poured something in and sealed the holes. It has not regrown. I think it was old engine oil, but not sure. However, there is a weedkiller sold as Stump killer and I think the advice on there is to do much the same thing.

Edited to add.
http://www.aie.org.uk/trunkline/aie_tr_stump.html
SBK is the stuff, nasty but it does work.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:08:41 PM by Palustris »

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »
Thanks for that Eric.

I followed your link and as you say, SBK is nasty stuff.

However, being careful in its application it does seem the better option than trying to dig up its root system.

I'll check around to see if I can get it locally or failing that, via the Internet.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »
There is a method. Our friend used to to get rid of a very invasive and vigorous Hazel. I cut it down to ground level for him with the chain saw. Then, he drilled holes in the remaining stump and poured something in and sealed the holes. It has not regrown. I think it was old engine oil, but not sure. However, there is a weedkiller sold as Stump killer and I think the advice on there is to do much the same thing.

Edited to add.
http://www.aie.org.uk/trunkline/aie_tr_stump.html
SBK is the stuff, nasty but it does work.

have also used this method method myself, useing used engine oil and creosote before they took all the good chemicals out of it  ::), i thought sbk was unavailable in uk now, as i could not buy any before we moved about 4 years ago i maybe wrong on that,

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:16:53 AM »
Well, it sems to still be on the market. I am sure we saw it in our local Farm store when we bought the concentrated Roundup we use.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »
Well, it sems to still be on the market. I am sure we saw it in our local Farm store when we bought the concentrated Roundup we use.

maybe you can still buy it, good stuff though kills anything

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 09:56:05 AM »
Although I haven't had chance to look locally for SBK, I've found at least two web sites that offer it:

Capital Gardens and G & H Direct.

At least I've got options now.

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »
Garden Centre this morning. £6. 99 a bottle

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
Thanks Eric.

That price seems to be about standard in shops and Internet.

We'll have a look in one of our local garden centres next time we visit.

At least I know we can get it on the Internet if they don't stock it.  ;D

Thanks again for suggesting that SBK Eric, it sounds ideal.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:23:07 PM »
All you need now is a big drill bit and a funnel, sit back and what it die  ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
I've got all those Phil - armed and ready.  ;D

According to the instructions for use of SBK though, it needs to be done in the Autumn.

Guess I'll have to be patient.  ::)

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
I would do it now and in the mean time, paint the leaves of the suckers with Roundup, this will help kill off the whole plant, eventually. Slow job though. We have a similar problem with growths from the wild plums and Damsons in the hedgerow and strangely enough from a variegated Balsam poplar.

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »
Okay Eric, good tip.

Thank you.

Laurie.

Offline Scott

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 07:25:04 AM »
Hi Laurie,
This is an old topic so I don't know how it runed out but Sycamores here are very prolific.  I planted one (a while back) but it's much taller than trees that had a three decade head start- it's about 60' tall.  Do you have access to Roundup?  Such herbicides (used at correct/directed levels) can be placed direct on the open cut w/o damage to nearby desireable plantings (if done carefully).

Otherwise, you'll want to hack away at the trunk and vigorous root system of the Sycamore (unless a different animal in your part of the world).

Good luck,
Scott

NightHawk

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
Not our problem any more Scott.  We moved to Hampshire in December 2010  :D

Roundup is/was available in the northeast area though, but I never got to try it.

I sawed the sycamore to ground level, but didn't put any other form of treatment on the stump.  It had started to grow again before we moved.

We don't have that problem here, thankfully.  I don't mind looking at sycamores in the wild, just not in my garden.

There is a mixture of shrubs in our new garden, but no trees.  There are several oak trees around us, which I think is gorgeous, as we like oak trees.

A lot of oak leaves get blown into our garden, but I've recently acquired a new gardening tool to deal with them - a leaf blower/sucker-upper/shredder  ;D

We've also got ourselves a nice composting bin, so the collected leaves won't get wasted.

I'll be starting a new topic soon for our Hampshire garden, so you can follow the progress with our other members  ;)

Laurie.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:01:42 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Scott

No more Sycamore Problem
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
(Sat)
Hello,
Anything can be a week- depends on the place, person, etc. Proper placement is one of the biggest errors and eventual problem in gardens (maintenance, health of plant(s), etc.).

Check into oaks/leaves before using in compost. Some (all?) oaks have an oil that can make it tough for other vegetation to grow.

Good luck!
Scott

NightHawk

Re: No more Sycamore Problem
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
Check into oaks/leaves before using in compost. Some (all?) oaks have an oil that can make it tough for other vegetation to grow.
Very interesting.  Some research in order then Scott.

Laurie.