Author Topic: Sylvia's introduction  (Read 2306 times)

Offline gardenfan

Sylvia's introduction
« on: February 11, 2006, 06:41:18 PM »
Hello to all
I'm very new to ideas genie software. I had been looking for suitable software to set up a database for the garden but had only been able to find designing products before - not much use when you have an established garden even if it is constantly evolving.
I garden, with my husband Tony, on the outskirts of Norwich. Tony does the hard landscaping, hedge trimming, lawn etc and I do the planting. He also exercises his photographic interest on the plants and birds in the garden.
The garden has really developed since our retirement almost 10 years ago. The soil is very light with almost pure sand not too far below the surface over a bedrock of chalk. (Norwich has a history of flint extraction and there were lime kilns less than a mile away at one time. Before the immediate area was developed in the 1930's, most of the land around was heathland or nurseries.
We have several mature trees in the garden and planting is a mix of shrubs, conifers, perennials etc. I try to use plants that are happy with the conditions here. I love roses and, despite the unpromising soil, I have found some of the older roses (albas, rogosas, climbers) survive reasonably well. I also like clematis, the smaller flowered ones such as alpinas, viticellas and herbaceous varieties perform reasonably.
I look forward to taking part in discussions when time permits (like all gardeners, there's never enough).