Plants > Guess the name of this plant

Puzzle No 2

<< < (2/4) > >>

greenfinger:
At the back door: or you live in a micro-climate or your zone of hardiness is 9. We in Belgium (Zone 8 average) wouldn't probably be able to let them survive without help.

ideasguy:
Perhaps its a warm wall? ;)
 Norman told me to move them to the greenhouse. However, at that stage (a few weeks ago) they had already survived some very heavy frosts, so there they remain.
In any case, what happens to them next winter? They will be like 4-5 ft snowmen at the hardest part of winter with no warm wall to snuggle up to. Ive wondered about that.

The Gardener:
You won't need to worry about them after they've flowered George - they are generally biennial.  They will flower this summer, then set seed and die  :'( I grew some from seed several years ago.  They were very easy to germinate, and made good growth the first year.  However, in spite of being in the greenhouse and protected by fleece over winter, none of them survived. Mind you, that was in the days when we had winters!  If I grew them now, I think they would probably survive.  I first saw them in a public park somewhere down south, maybe Torquay or Bournemouth (can't remember which) several years ago and was knocked out by their sheer size - must have been about 8 feet tall, maybe taller!!  I just had to get some seed to try.  Pity it didn't work out.  I wouldn't have the room for them now, unfortunately.

ideasguy:
Well, thats a relief  ;D
A bit like my consolation to a colleague. He brought in the label of a bottlebush plant he had bought, and planted it in his 18in wide border along his driveway. It said it grew to about 10ft and quite wide.
I told him not to worry about not getting his car up the drive anymore... as the plant was pretty tender and would probably die.

Well, when those veg. aliens of mine die, I hope I'm not around when they keel over.
What height were the ones you attempted to overwinter in the greenhouse? Mine are last years seedlings and about 8- 10ins tall.

The Gardener:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on February 21, 2006, 11:07:28 PM ---What height were the ones you attempted to overwinter in the greenhouse? Mine are last years seedlings and about 8- 10ins tall.

--- End quote ---

Mine were about the same height as yours, George, and looked really healthy (for a while!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version