Plants > Guess the name of this plant

Puzzle No 2

<< < (4/4)

The Gardener:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on February 23, 2006, 10:09:40 PM ---Do you mulch for winter?

--- End quote ---

Not generally.  The trouble is, in the past I've tried mulching with a thick layer of Oak leaves (we have a large Oak tree on the boundary which drops loads of leaves in autumn) but it stays in place for about two days then the birds scatter it all over the place!  I've raked it back into place, but the same thing happens.  Ditto with a mulch of compost.....

ideasguy:
In some parts of the garden the leaves are allowed to rest where they fall.
I glance out at the birds through French windows in the room where I work at the computer and the birds give those leaves a turning over nearly every day. The up side is, it attracts blackbirds and thrushes, the ground feeders, and its nice to see them. I enjoy their antics.

I throw my lawn cuttings in a different compost heap each year. The blackbirds turn it over for me, but onto my grass paths. I have to rake the stuff back onto the pile regulalry.

So all in all, I suspect the text book recommendations are a little impractical in this case. All those busy little worms and grubs are easy pickings. Still, as Andre would say, c'est la vie.

The blackbirds also like my yellow Pyracantha berries. They seem to go for them around Christmas time.
One of my neighbours has a fantastic Pyracantha specimen at the front of her house, laden with red berries, every year. She keeps it covered with a netting. It must be really frustrating and teasing for those hungly little birds on a cold winters morning.

greenfinger:
Has anybody experience with Echium russicum? They seem to be a lot hardier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version