Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 2474 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Happy New Year
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
I've just received an email from Col (AussieCol on this forum) where its 2008 already. As I write, theres one hour left in 2007 (Ireland).  In US and Canada, theres anything from 6 to 9 hours left.

On RTE (an Irish TV channel) , theres a program recalling what was High and what was Low about 2007.
For me, I will be be more than happy if Microsoft dont bring out another operating system to rival Vista :)

For you, I hope next years Highs are higher, and theres abundantly more of them.

Happy New Year everyone!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:15:14 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »
Best wishes for 2008 from Belgium (it still exists!!).
By the way: George, did you dance the new year in?

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
Happy New Year AndrĂ©, and I hope the changes youve been planning are realised  ;)

No, no dancing the new year in  :(
I had a few "celebrations" in the afternoon with my colleagues, then we spent the evening quietly at home and watched the special programs on the TV. The fireworks display in London was on BBC1. It really was spectacular! Think how many plants we could have bought for the money spent on that event  :)

After midnight, we usually get a "Happy New Year" call from "the kids" who fly the flag "out on the town". Judging by the background noise, they were having a great time  :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:24:39 AM by ideasguy »

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 08:17:01 PM »
Happy New Year from here too :)

Offline bossgard

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:48:25 PM »
"Happy Gardening in 2008" from this side of the water. The King Alfred Daffodils and the Grape Hyacinths are showing their heads outside of my back-door. Has Spring sprung! They have been there as long as I can remember, my mother must have planted them years ago! George, did you get your White Christmas? We did have some snow flakes here, but not enough to cover anything white. Again, Happy New Year to all around the world!

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
Happy New Gardening Year Billy and Toby!

No White Christmas, Toby, but the forecast gives Siberian weather from tomorrow, so we might see a fall of snow very soon. It was very mild yesterday (New Years Day) and I spent a few hours in the garden. Today is bitterly cold as that front approaches. We went for a family lunch in a local restaurant, then for a walk around Hillsborough Park with the dogs.

As for Spring - I called Keith yesterday (see the Springbank Garden web pages on the http://www.ideasforgardens.net web site) to thank him for sending me a new CD, packed with quality photos, all with plant names. (Ive been having fun with those,adding them to the Master Database!)
He told me that his Camellia 'Debbie' has a single flower, and another Camellia is in full bloom!
My grape hyacinths are also poking well out of the ground, and theres a few daffs emerging as well. It wont be long now!
No snowdrops yet - and they are usually first to flower, then the Crocus.
What other spring flowers do you grow?

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »
We have some snowdrops already in flower George, and some daffodils actually showing yellow in the unopen heads
Crocuses have been largely eaten by the field mice . ..... a whole host of new bulbs gone for fodder :)
Ah well ...  such is life :)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
You are ahead of my garden there Billy. I live right on top of Barban Hill. My bulbs are always at least 1 to 2 weeks behind those in gardens half way down the hill in either direction.

I ran out of time planting bulbs, and I put about 20 Hyacinth and Daffodil 'Winston Churchill' bulbs in a large seed tray, which I inserted into a black polythene bag, and put them under the staging in the greenhouse.  I finally got them planted over the New Year. I tried not to disturb the roots they had made in the tray and scooped them up with a good handful of compost attached to each. I put a handful of bone meal at the bottom of the planting hole, planted the bulbs and buried them. I turned round to pull a few weeds, and when I turned round again, my doggie had started to excavate already - obviously attracted by the bone meal! At least he didnt EAT them, as in your case with the field mice and the crocuses!

We have a few inches of snow here as I write - the first this winter.