Garden Buildings, Garden Tools and Equipment > greenhouses

Garden Tools Recommended by our members

(1/3) > >>

ideasguy:
I received a very nice email from Trevor today, and thought I'd open this up for discussion.

--- Quote ---by Trevor:
In my experience in any sphere, that anything less than a professional tool or method means that the job is going to be harder, less efficient and won't get the same results. The old saying "a poor workman blames his tools" doesn't hold ground if he's working with poor tools
--- End quote ---

My best Garden Tool?
An edger.
Mine is an american product by Homelite

Heres an alternative:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100052063

Must do some more research.

On to the thread subject.
Any Garden Tools you'd like to recommend?

NightHawk:
I have to say that I don't go anywhere in our garden without my secateurs and knife.

Strapped to my waist belt in a special pouch to hold them I feel like an Old Wild West gunslinger.  :)

My secateurs of choice are from the Felco range, Model 2 to be precise.  My research shows these to be very good quality and very popular with all skill levels of gardeners.

I originally purchased the Felco 7 model, which has a swivel handle to lessen wrist strain.  Personally, I could not get to grips with them - pun intended, as the swivelling handle did on many occasions cause the secateurs to slip out of your hand, opening the blades to their fullest extent.  Dropping them was a frequent result.  I recently sold them on eBay for a reasonable price.

I don't know if anyone else has experience of this particular model.  For those who have not yet tried this model, be wary and try to test them before you purchase them.  I didn't do this.  I just purchased them online - big mistake.  I think this is a gardening tool you have to try out first.

My knife is a good quality locking blade model, with a 2-and-a-half inch long straight blade.  Ideal for jobs like taking cuttings.

Laurie.

roiphil:
my ride on lawn mower when i get a go (the boy is always on it cutting the grass  ;))

ideasguy:
Ive been resisting the pressure for years to buy a ride-on. My argument is that I have too many intircate areas, that I'd need to use a smaller mower after doing the main areas with a a rideon.
My mower had a drive, then engine went and the replacement engine had no drive, so its now a push mower.
Since I stopped playing indoor soccer a couple of years ago I need something to keep me fit! It a heavy-ish beast.

Another big plus, it has a roller, and that type of mower leaves lovely stripes, setting the garden off.
Friday night from spring to autumn is my designated time for the grass cutting chore. I lke to wake up Sat morning to a pristine lawn nicely edged.

NightHawk:
I wonder if you can buy a scaled-down remote-controlled model of the ride-on mower.
One you can operate from inside your house, or whilst sitting in a garden chair enjoying the sun, and sipping on your pina colada.  :D
(There could be a marketing potential there.  ;) )

Our gardens are not large enough for a full size ride-on mower, and grass cutting is not a task I particularly relish doing.  Just making do with our electric cylinder mower instead.

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version