Author Topic: Lesson 1 - The 2021 Ideas Genie Lessons project  (Read 2089 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Lesson 1 - The 2021 Ideas Genie Lessons project
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
Off we go on the 2021 Ideas Genie Pro 6 lessons project

First we must recap on the basics, so lets look at the Getting Started web page in the Ideas Genie user guide:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/Ideas-Genie-User-Guide-6/gettingstarted.html

This covers:
Section 1 is how to keep the User Guide open when you click on screenshots etc.

Section 2 describes how to maximise screens:
a)  If you have ONE monitor
and
b) If you have dual monitors.
Unfortunately, when you click the Maximise button with dual monitors, the system makes the screen "as big as a wall" as one Australian user reported.
We have a download to recover from this, so dont worry.

Section 3 gets down to using the system.
Ive included a few place holder plants in the distribution files. If you don't want them in your personal database, then please don't delete them until you have added a few plants of your own.
When you click on a plant in the initial screen (GA604S01) a toolbar (screen GA100S70) appears and overlays the initial screen.
The tool bar has a list of options which allow you to perform operations based on the selected plant e.g. if you need to edit the plant profile to change the colour, height or even the plant name... and much more.

Section: Personalise Gardener Name and Garden Areas
Explains how to change the Gardener name (default is My Garden) to your own name or the name of your garden.
Then how to define the sections and areas of your garden.
Note that you can shuffle the sections and garden areas into your preferred order

Section: Add a Plant to a Garden Area...
In this section, click on the Gardens tab to begin, then select a garden area and think of a plant you wish to add to that garden area.
You will see a screenshot describing how to Add a plant (to your own personal database).
After adding a plant a dialog box appears asking if you wish to add the new plant to the selected garden area.

Section: Adding a Specimen record for a Plant
This section defines a specimen as a living plant which you have bought or acquired and how to link a specimen to one of the plants you have added to your database..

Section: About Toolbar GA100S69
There are two toolbars associated with the initial screen (BS604S01).
When you click on the name of a plant you will see an option to Click to add a specimen.
Follow the instructions in the Getting Started User Guide screen

Section: Our sample Plant and Specimen record.
This section explains how to look at (and if necessary Edit) the sample Plant profile and how to look at (and if necessary edit or delete) the profile of the Specimen record provided.

Section: Closing Programs
Please read this section to avoid the risk of data corruption (particularly if you turn the computer off with Ideas Genie still open)
We are able to help recover from incidents of data corruption, but its best to avoid such events.

Section: Exposing Help
Ive spend MANY hours writing the Help available in Ideas Genie and making it as easily accessible as possible.
Please read...

Section: Resizing and repositioning a screen
This section is identical for Ideas Genie Pro 6 Flower Genie 4 and Bank Genie Pro 6.
I'm appalled by how many users (including Bank Genie users) who haven't learned these basic skills.

Section: Choosing a font and font size
This explains how to personalise your installation.

FINALLY: Please login and add your comments.
e.g. Does any section require clarification?
When you visit, please login and please dont log out. It lets me and other users see its not an empty house  :D

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:29:09 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

Re: Lesson 1 - The 2021 Ideas Genie Lessons project
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »
Done. Looks ok so far.

Offline Roba

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 02:41:52 PM »
Done. All works well. :D

Offline Djem

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 12:41:49 AM »
Done, excellent Job!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 10:12:04 AM »
Thank you Eric, Robert and Julie for the thumbs up ;)

If anyone has questions or has suggestions for clarification on any of the steps, please add your comments here.

Offline NigelF

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »
I just did a refresher on the Getting Started Guide.  Very good.  Just one suggestion ......  On #3 > Screenshot it says that GA100S70 comes up if you click on a plant.  For me, I had to first select the plant (ie. click to select) then click again to again to get GA100S70.  Some might see this as a double click?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 10:09:22 AM »
Hi Nigel

Thank you (and others who have made contact) for taking part in this project.

I think you have been playing with the Options tab (the 3rd of the 6 tabs shown in this screenshot)
http://www.ideasgenie.com/Ideas-Genie-User-Guide-6/GA604S01-4.gif

I haven't covered that yet.
The options allow the user to control whether or not the toolbar GA100S70 appears IMMEDIATELY when you click on the name of a plant.
Click on the Options tab.
Under Specimens, there are two checkboxes - Show Specimens and Click twice to show.
The default is Show Specimens checked and Click twice to show unchecked.

The behavior with those settings are described in the Getting Started guide.

Does that help?

Offline NigelF

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 03:39:48 PM »
Yes, that was it.  Thanks.