Author Topic: Self introduction  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Gordon

Self introduction
« on: December 11, 2006, 07:11:22 AM »
This was an early piece of correspondance I had with George, who suggested I might as well use it as an introduction. Not being one to waste unnecessarily I thought it a great idea...and time saver to boot!

And thank you George, for the very prompt reply.
Surrey was a great place for growing except that we were dealing with only a thin layer of top soil over solid chalk. I learned to work around it, although it obviously limited what could and could not be grown without taking really unusual steps.
Here on Mercer Island(Washington USA) we have basically a clay and glacial till mix...which isn't too bad except that there are quite a few stones to be dealt with. In an allotment (Pea Patch here) that my wife and I took on last May, I found a large rock with basically a triangular shape at it's top. Try as I might, I cannot get under or round it...every time I dig down it just gets wider and wider. I stopped digging and resigned myself to the fact that it is the peak of an underground mountain! We are going to name it officially next year.
Almost everything I have ever planted here has thrived, but the things which seem to do very well for me...perhaps because I really like them are Clematis...I have a Montana Rubens I put up a pine about 38 years ago. It has gone all the way to the top and started back down again. Every Spring as the sun is setting, the whole west side of the tree lights up pure pink. Lovely. Also Magnolia, Viburnum, Daphne, Liliums, Hostas, Epimediums, Primulae, Birch and on. Three years ago I bought a Musa Bajoo at the Flower & Garden Show and it has really jumped out of the ground, raising a sucker in it's first year. This year the sucker really took off, becoming about three feet higher than it's Mum and the original "tree" produced a flower stem and fruit. What was also produced were eight further suckers, which reached about 24"high. Unfortunately we experienced severe cold weather for a couple of days last week and they were all cut back severely. It will be interesting to see what makes it back. But I have to say that the clump looks most impressive and tropical in the summer and once the leaves have completely unfurled and have been exposed to the sun for a couple of days, they are mostly immune to wind unless it is excessive. I think the risk is worth it.
I did have a Gunnera Manicata doing well for four years...a plant I had always wanted to grow since I was a kid, when I saw my first one ever.  It didn't receive enough water to really reach it's full potential...one I saw in Devon arched up to about ten feet high, being watered by spray from a nearby waterfall...ideal conditions I would say. Unfortunately, mine just didn't return to the fold this Spring.
I do like the challenge of trying to grow plants that won't necessarily do well here and at present I am nurturing along seven Sandalwood trees very carefully. I am not quite sure what I will do when they start reaching for the sky! I also have a batch of Cytisus Battandierie growing from seed I gathered when back home in September. One thing I have never been able even to germinate is Lapageria. Anybody out there had any success?
The article I mentioned regarding your software, wasn't really an article so much as a response to a question asked by a reader. The questioner wanted to know of any software available to develop a layout of ones yard and annotate the plants placed throughout it?
The reply was to list three items one of which was "Ideas Genie", with the following recommendation:- "Ideas Genie Gardening Software was developed by a keen gardener (Can you tell it's British just by that description?)  It allows you to build your own database of plant names and data, garden locations and photos. It's billed as flexible and powerful. There are several versions; see the web site for prices and ordering from England." I didn't like the sound of the other two, but British software struck a cord and I liked the description...it sounded so much like a program I had wanted to get started developing some years ago...unfortunately my ambitions there were greater than my expertise...story of my life, but you have to try!
I am just about to download flowergenie to see how I get on, so I will talk again later.
Bye for now George.
Gordon
I am looking forward to getting into the forum in the coming days and weeks...'always enjoy a natter.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Self introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:29:47 AM »
Dear Gordon, this can count as self introduction! Nice allotment story with the mysterious stone. I've learned it is called a Pea Patch over there? How big is it? What's the hardiness zone where you garden? A Musa Bajoo is an unknown tree here in Belgium.
Nice to have you with us.
André
Flanders

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum Gordon. I'm delighted you've mastered the technicalities!

That was a terrific opening "speech" I have to say. I'm immediately impressed by your sense of adventure in growing things which probably would not be recommended for your zone.

RE: Musa
Ive done a bit of research over lunch time. Found this useful discussion, related to PNW :
http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest/forum/13829.html

RE: Lapageria
Heres a few links for other members to see what you are attempting to grow from seed:
http://www.nccpg.com/gloucestershire/plantweek26.html
with some instructions for growing from seed here
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/2542/1

Heres the link to that article in the Seattle Times:
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=gardeneaston29&date=20061129
Thanks for letting me know about that, Gordon. What a pleasant surprise!

Back with more comments later!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:46:29 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:22:14 AM »
Hello Andre,
Wow...a reply from Belgium...it's been a long time since I was there.
Musa Badjoo is from Japan I believe and can cope with a fair amoung of cold weather once it is established. Even if it is cut to the ground by hard frost it will generally come back. I am rather looking forward to seeing how the "grove" of palms returns next spring. Having the original tree was so impressive...I had a nearby neighbour stop by in amazement. She is from South Africa and couldn't believe that there was a banana plam growing in the garden next door. Unfortunately the fruit is quite small and inedible...around 6 -10 cms long. It is quite amazing to watch the fruiting spur develope growing longer and longer, turning over and starting to extend downward as the first "hand" of flowers develop, open and form small fruit, Then the next row and on and on. This year, when the first year's sucker really got going, it grew taller by about four feet than it's mother plant and the leaves were magnificent, up to about 7 feet long by about 2 feet wide. It was so impressive. If this year's suckers develop next Spring the way last years did, the mass of leaves will be something to see. I will have to photograph them and stick the picture on the site.
Yes you are right...it is called a Pea Patch here and those in our location are reckoned to be 10 feet x 40 feet for which we are charged an annual fee of $40. My wife and I have two, one measuring 15 feet x 45 feet and the second 10 feet x 35 feet. I am not sure who surveyed the plots, but I think they must have used a rubber tape! However I am not complaining. It provided us with a huge amount of fresh vegetables this last Summer which we are still eating, including tomatoes as early as July 2nd...the earliest I have ever had them.
Our hardiness zone here is supposed to be Zone 7 or Zone 8 depending whose map you refer to. Being an Island, the surrounding lake tends to keep the temperatures a little warmer I suppose. It is a great site really with a pair of Bald Eagles nesting only about 100 yards away and our Bean and Sage flowers continually visited by Humming birds all summer.
An unusual facet of living here is that the State flower & bird are the same as Surrey, England, where I am from. The Rhododendron & Goldfinch. Anything I was able to grow at home can be grown here and all my gardening books are good too, so I feel doubly blessed.
It's good to be on the Forum...as you can see, I do like to chat! Thank you for giving me the opportunity Andre.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:02:29 AM »
When you say..."I did a little research over lunch", you weren't kidding. I have just spent a very pleasant 30 minutes trawling through all your links and posting messages. I am really looking forward to more Forum chats...I thrive on that!
Many thanks.
Gordon