General Category > Questions and Answers

What to do with ripe tomatoes?

<< < (3/3)

ideasguy:
Thanks for your tuppence ha'porth Richard.
I think its well worthy of a thrupennybit  ;D  ;D

We've given loads to the family and friends (and they are still going strong!)
Your recipe will be used here :) Spaghetti Bolognese is a favourite by young James ;)

Palustris:
Here are some done today (and no nasty additions either!)

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: Pensioner on October 06, 2013, 07:27:25 AM ---I'm a little late to throw in tuppence ha'porth, but we have had a good crop of tomatoes as well.  We have cooked them up, skins and all with onion, garlic and basil (also from the garden) and frozen the resulting mash in the plastic containers you get from Indian take-aways.  Once frozen into a block you can remove the tomato from the container and bag several blocks together, which take up less space.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that, sounds great - but psssst -  don't mention garlic to the other Eric [Palustris]  :) He already thinks I am degenerate, I love it  ;D

Eric H

ideasguy:
Begorrah, we must be degenerate as well :o ;D
Only joking Palustris. We all have our likes and dislikes.

trishs:
Hello everyone! Sorry I've just not had time to check in for ages, it's been such a busy summer!

We too have had/ are still having, a bumper tomato crop this year.  I bought the variety Lupitas which I discovered the previous year and found to be brilliant.  I was also sent a free packet of Green Zebra by the seed company but this year's plants were a mixed bunch!  Having looked at the other heritage varieties that the company sells I think there must have been some mixing of the seed since we appear to have two other of their Heritage varieties, which we are delighted with, and no Green Zebra this time.  Anyway, I'm picking every other day and have containers full to eat in order of 'age'.  Fortunately Lupitas seems to keep quite nicely.  I'm keeping the plants going until the cold weather starts (later this week if the forecast is correct).  I've trimmed off all the surplus leaves and empty stalks and I'm hoping that a few more of the green fruits will turn colour in the next few days before we HAVE to empty the cold greenhouse to make way for overwintering pots.  The plants in the frost free greenhouse will grow on a few days longer but then they too will have to come out to make way for the dahlias when the time comes.  It is such a busy time.  I get very anxious that I won't get everything done before it gets too cold/wet/windy for me to be able to move around outdoors!  I'm currently midway through planting up this years deliveries of bulbs but I'm still waiting for some to be delivered.

Back to tomato eating though....  We've been eating baked/roasted veg at least twice a week for ages now.  We use homegrown courgettes, peppers and tomatoes cooked with shop-bought onions, with pasta and grated pecorino cheese and a few rashers of the crispy bacon that Sainsburys sell.  We also just tried out a new recipe we came across recently which has tomatoes cooked with various spices, tinned butter beans and sweet potato.  The recipe was enough for four so we've frozen half to see how it goes.  We will be eating it again soon and if all is well I think we'll be making a bigger batch of that to freeze and have as an easy quick stand-by supper dish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version