Author Topic: Heatwave - July 2013  (Read 3906 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Heatwave - July 2013
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
Take care everyone - I can see its VERY hot in the South of England.
Here in N Ireland its like the tropics, and some of you are a few degrees higher.

The plants in the garden are loving it. Ive never seen the garden looking so floriferous!
I'm behind with the weeding though, and better get that addressed before the rains return ;D

NightHawk

Re: Heatwave - July 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
It is indeed very hot here in the south of England George.

Too hot in fact for working outdoors, so the gardening is being put on hold until late evening when it starts to cool down ever so slightly.

As you say, the plants are really loving it and respond exceptionally well, giving a great show and plethora of colour  ;D

If we have to drive anywhere, the aircon in the car is an absolute godsend.  Makes you want to sit in the car with the engine going whilst at home to keep cool  ::)

Anyway, I reinforce your warning George to take precautions in this extreme heat.  We're currently on the Met Office Heat Health Watch Level 3 (4 being the highest).
Here's a link to the Met Office web site with further details.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »
It's certainly curtailing many outdoor jobs.  Gardening consists mainly of watering and feeding recently.  We have masses of work piling up but hoping that the slightly lower temperatures and cloud we've been promised for the weekend will enable some planting out, weeding and pruning to be accomplished.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »
Absolutely no gardening at all in the heat but glorious for our grandson Duncan's wedding at Oriel College, Oxford - champagne in the Quad, and all that  ::)

Ira and Jacob, our Canadian grandsons with Ira's Sarah

It was glorious for our five visitors and we were able to have our meals outside all the time they were here  :D We also had the grandsons to do the watering each night which they appeared to enjoy (hoses not watering cans).

Now the house seems very empty.

Eric H
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:45:18 AM by Eric Hardy »

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:19:59 AM »
It's certainly been wonderful weather for weddings.  Glad it all went off so well and you were able to spend quality time with your family (when they weren't outside with the hosepipe ;) )

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
Lovely wedding, Eric :) Nothing beats a family get together and it must have been all the more enjoyable on such a special occasion. Congratulations to the happy couple!

I'm sure the time flew when your visitors were with you but its nice to sit back and reflect on happy memories.
You were very lucky to have them lend a hand with those important chores.

I'm sure you have lots more photos so please post some more (it would be nice to see the photographer and his wife ;))
It would be fun for us to look for family resemblances.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
I'm sure you have lots more photos so please post some more (it would be nice to see the photographer and his wife ;))

Seconded :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »
Well, thank you George and Trish.

First, you must have the newly weds and here they are

There is an amazing lack of pictures of me, we still haven’t seen the official photos, but here is one taken at the reception taken by Mark, with Anthea and me on the near right

And a group; Duncan's brother, Benedict was best man and he is second from the right, next to his Becky. I was weighed down with my Canon, and I really don’t know why someone didn’t suggest I undid my jacket button like everyone else, it’s showing the strain  ::).

Here are Mark and Adam to compare family likenesses
/

And proud Mum

Our youngest, Tom, was unfortunately in Denmark busily playing his bassoon. I will include a shot of him here, as we are into family likenesses (or not, as the case may be).
George may be interested to learn that this was taken in Belfast when the Ulster Orchestra was having an interval.

Lastly, here is a family group having just finished lunch in the open air, taken by Jacob on my iPhone.

Finally, nothing to do with the wedding, but while we are on family matters, have any of you heard a bassoon quartet? It is an amazing sound. If you are interested go to this YouTube link. Tom formed this quartet, which they called Reed Rage. Here they are playing an encore at a concert they gave in Burgh House, Hampstead Heath. I hope you enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/IBKbuzEkI1I

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:30:09 AM »
A great set of photos Eric of a wonderful family event.  Proud you and Anthea must certainly be  ;D

Nice to compare the family resemblances too, as George requested  ;)

If you're the nominated photographer, it is difficult to get yourself in the shots as well Eric.  It's not always possible to put the camera on a tripod on timer setting and jump in front of it  :D

Anyway, photos and memories to cherish Eric.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »
I'm glad I asked Eric :) These are excellent photos.
Thanks for including the photo of Tom, for completeness.
I will get to hear him perform sometime!
I'm playing that video as I write. Its a treasure!
Tom and his friends are really enjoying that medley (ar-Ranger-ment :)).
Theres another poser for today - name and "Tell" the tunes in that arrangement :)
Ive played it a few times.

RE:
I was weighed down with my Canon...
No need to explain Eric - it takes a gardener a few minutes to haul themselves to attention ;D
Its an entirely different pose to the norm:)

OK, lets start at "the top".
Who is the gentleman in the blue suit?
In the banquet hall, he's at the left side of the table, chatting up a young lady :D (what a splendid reception hall!)
In the next photo, outside, he's fourth from left.
Who is the lady third from left beside Anthea?
Nice to see that happy couple holding hands on the left :)
You are looking just great!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:54:18 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 01:22:20 PM »
Thank you, George. I am glad you like the bassoon quartet. Yes, they certainly seem to enjoy playing the medley.

In answer to your query, the couple next to Anthea and me in the third picture down are Duncan's other grandparents, Frank and Elaine Rubli. They are the parents of Adam's wife Fiona who is standing between Duncan and Adam.

The girl that Frank is chatting to at table shared a flat with Alison, the bride, and had broken her leg (see the crutches). She had been in that classic situation on her bike, waiting at a junction for the lights to change and when they did the lorry beside her turned left and knocked her off. She was lucky it wasn't worse.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »
And good health to the grandparents of the bride and groom :)

That was a frightening experience for Alison's friend :o It could indeed have been much worse and its best not to dwell on that!