Our Gardens > My Garden

Trish & Rog's garden in Yorkshire

(1/10) > >>

trishs:
Here is a plan of our plot of land.

As you can see we have a very long garden which runs up onto a hillside which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).

The 'garden' is kind of in four parts;  there is the normal small space at the front and two small patio areas close by the house and a fairly large area beyond (very recent picture)

which then leads through a gate into the second area which includes a fruit and veg plot as well as flower borders and trees.

The third part is wilder in nature and runs from a small summerhouse, a wildlife pond and partway up the hill to the gate to the SSSI.  two more recent pics)

The SSSI can't really be classed as garden as we only manage it rather than design or plant it, but it does involve a considerable amount of work.

We bought this house nearly thirty years ago (moving within the same village) because of the land/garden.  We have spent most of our money on plants rather than 'garden design', just following the natural shapes and circumstances of the land, which has changed actually quite considerably over the years (I'm sure the garden used to be 'flatter', but it is an old mining village so that probably explains it, plus water flow has changed, partially due to some idiot who ploughed up an adjacent field uneccessarily and mucked up the existing drainage.

There was nothing much of note in the garden, (apart from two mature pear trees, one of which fell down a few years ago),
when we bought the house so everything is what we have planted, apart from a few other native boundary trees.  I just happen to have a pic handy of the tree before it fell down, we have used most of the fallen tree as a 'feature' since as you will notice in subsequent pics.

NightHawk:
You have a lovely setting there Trish.

The photos with the snow make it look like a real winter wonderland scene.

You're also very fortunate to have part of your land as SSSI, which will never be built on.  Still a lot of work as you have said, but challenging and rewarding at the same time  ;)

Eric Hardy:
Welcome to the forum Trish. What an interesting plot you have, and great photos of it in the snow. I can quite imagine that it is a lot of work. I was born and bred in the north of England. A bit further north than you, in Barnard Castle in Teesdale. I left when I married Anthea, a southerner, in 1951 but I kept returning regularly until my mother died in 1995. When I was young my father had a very large garden on a slope which involved much work and ingenuity. In his retirement they moved to a house with a small south facing garden surrounded with stone walls which seemed to defy the severe climate. Good luck with your gardening.

Eric H ( the H is to differentiate me from the other Eric (Palustris)

trishs:
Thanks for the welcome and introduction Eric.  I used those few pics to introduce our garden because they are (mostly) so very recent, and the weeds don't show when the snow covers everything  ;) 

trishs:
I just came across this pic of the same part of the garden as one of the snow pictures, taken last June.  I'm very proud of these trees;  I've know them since they were babies ;)  The conifer between the Prunus serrula and the Picea breweriana was a small, very sickly, reduced price, lost label plant rescued from Blooms many years ago.  I'd really like to know what it is.  I have other photos which might help an expert identify it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version