Author Topic: Alpine Gardens on Mt. Rainier  (Read 13370 times)

Offline bossgard

Re: Alpine Gardens on Mt. Rainier
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:13 PM »

Hiking Up, Look Down (South)

Dead Horse Trail, looking at Far Left is Alta Vista Mound with Pinnacle, Plummer, Wahpenayo, Chutla and Eagle Peaks of the Tatoosh Range. Lookout Mountain is in background at the Right.

An area stripped by wind and snow in front of White Bark Pines and Douglas Firs.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »

WHY MOUNT RAINIER LOOKED SO HAZY WHEN WE TURNED ON THE PARADISE PARK’S WEBCAM TO CHECK THE WEATHER THERE LAST WEEK!

Excerpted from the Seattle Times Newspaper, dated Saturday, July 14, 2012:

When Cliff Mass flew in from New York last week, he couldn’t believe how hazy the Seattle sky looked.

“As I descended down into Sea-Tac (airport), I said ‘What the hell is going on here?’” he said.
The unlikely culprit: Smoke from dozens of wildfires burning in Siberia, which has climbed into the jet stream in recent weeks and found its way on the Pacific Northwest. Mass, a professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Washington, said the smoke – which is not a health risk –also may be the reason behind the recent series of spectacular sunsets.

The smoke’s long journey isn’t as strange as it might seem.

“We always see some level of smoke and pollution” from East Asia, said Dan Jaffe, a professor of atmospheric and environmental chemistry at UW Bothell. It’s especially common in the springtime.

But the smoke that has drifted here in the last two weeks is the worst since 2003, Jaffe said, fed by huge fires burning near Lake Baikal and on the Kamchatka Peninsula on Russia’s east coast. According to RIA Novosti, a Russian state news agency, 67 wildfires were burning in Eastern Russia last week.

- Toby

Offline bossgard

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »

With the following link, scroll down until you come to a posting entitled A BEAR IN THE WOODS by Aaron Lavinsky.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/picturethis/

This picture appeared on the front page of the Seattle Time Newspaper this morning, Tuesday, July 17, 2012.

The accompanying text and information you might need some day. So jot it down or make a copy of it. Make sure to carry it with you at all times. But if you don’t have it with you, do as it suggests and make a lot of LOUD noises, by clapping your hands, yelling, and carrying out your conversation with BEAR in a very LOUD voice.

- Toby

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »
It doesn't bear thinking about  ::) ;D
Eric

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
and that big fella sure is not Yogi  :o

Offline bossgard

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »

Hiking Up, Looking Down (South)

Paradise Park facing Alta Vista (Center), Stevens, Boundary, Unicorn, Pinnacle, Plummer, Wahpenayo and Chutla Peaks. Unicorn and Pinnacle Glaciers in the forefront.

A Wheat Grass Meadow with part of it eroded by previous winter snows. Red Paintbrush and yellow Glacier Lilies dot the area, in the foreground are some Purple Phlox.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »
I'm impressed by your knowledge of the plants up there Toby. Is that territory covered by snow in the winter months?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 12:32:08 AM »

George, the plant identifications were done by HB (my Hiking Buddy), not myself! He told me that he used a publication entitled ‘National Park Guide’, which is a sister publication of the National Geographic Magazine as an aid to do so. He maintains a collection of past issues of the National Geographic Magazines, like I do several of my gardening magazines. In other words, hands off!

Also, using HB as my informational person, he tells me that at the level on the Mountain that the photos I am posting today were taken, there probably remains about 3 feet of snow. These pics were taken at the approximate 6,000 foot level of the mountain, which is over 14,000 feet at the summit.

The following is an excerpt from a newspaper article published about a week ago: ‘Beware that snow remains on higher-elevation trails and meadows in the park, and that Paradise may not be snow free for weeks to come. For this year’s wildflower season, plan a visit in August’.  – Brian J. Cantwell, Seattle Times travel staff.

As I indicated when I began the posting of these Sub-alpine photos, we were very lucky to have such good conditions to get these photos. Indeed, a lucky break for us, these photos we have were taken August 16, 2010.

Hiking Up, Facing Down (South)

Dead Horse Trail with Alta Vista flowing from Left to Mound on Right. Tatoosh Range in background and Gifford Pinchot National Forest behind it.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
Thanks for the additional info Toby. Many thanks to your HB   ;)
Ive always been puzzled by the accounts of gardens and flowers from my contacts in North America and Canada. Its seems to be a very short time between messages that the gardens are covered by snow, then only weeks later, the gardens are in full bloom! You get the extremes over there, and the plants seem to know that there is a short growing season in some regions.
Those alpines you've described don't hang about, do they. That newspaper article tells us that the flowers are under snow in July, and in flower in August. Amazing 8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:17:51 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »

Hiking Up, Look Down (South)

Skyline Trail with Altra Vista on Left. Paradise Park on right and Tatoosh Range in background.

This photo and the one following are almost identical, and were taken within a short lapse in time.

To bring the pictures into perspective from the human aspect, there are some hikers coming up the mountain, look closely, and you will see how small they look, and just how large and awe-inspiring this beautiful landscape appears to the many tourists and hikers that visit the Mountain each year.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »

Hiking Up, Looking Down (South)

Skyline Trail with Alta Vista on Left, Paradise Park on Right. Tatoosh Range in Middle, with Mount Adams on Left and Mount St. Helens on the Near Right of the Background.

A few seconds time lapse of previous photo.

Eric, your might notice that with this picture, the paved trails have disappeared, and are now replaced with 'make do with what you got'. No pampering for the tourists now. The climb gets serious from this point on up the mountain.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »

‘Those alpines you've described don't hang about, do they.’ – George’s quote.

George, I talked to HB about this, so I will try to explain what he told me.

The first thing to remember is that Mount Rainier is an ACTIVE VOLCANO, and can blow anytime!, It is HOT, HOT under that Mountain, as well as under all of the Cascade Range. That means from Vancouver, British Columbia to the State of California. Mt. St. Helens here in the State of Washington, which blew several years ago is part of that active movement of the Earth way down under the surface.

Put a very thick blanket of snow on top of that heat, and you’ve got a naturally made greenhouse, or call it a whitehouse, if you prefer.

A subalpine plant live its own cycle of life. What that individually is, I do not know. I suppose it varies by the Species? Does it reproduce by seed, a root division, or what is its method of maintaining its life cycle? But the plant continues to grow as it is destined to do. Does it have an inactive time, and then begin all over to renew itself? 

HB has told me that he has dug down into the snow, and uncovered growing plants that already have their blossoms attached. So are the actual sun and its resultant heat necessary for its survival? Maybe ErikP, who as I understand from his postings grows alpines, can add some information on this topic for us.

If Mount Rainier blows, what the gentlemen in the know tell us is that all the glaciers of snow on the mountain will be quickly melted, which will have a heavy impact on the natural drainage system (rivers) that carry that water out to (eventually) the Pacific Ocean. I live on a hill above a valley that was formed by one of those rivers while in its natural state. Hopefully I live high enough up in elevation, that my home will not be destroyed, but there will be serious flooding that will go in all directions, North, South, East or West from the Mountain! Supposedly the gentlemen in the know will give us enough warning to try to escape!

From the American Indians, is a recorded instance of a flood occurring in the very late 1890’s, and the valley below me inundated with flood water from hillside to hillside. It is not indicated how or why it actually occurred. Maybe, it was caused by some volcanic activity at that time.

- Toby

Offline bossgard

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

Hiking Up, Looking Up (North)

Skyline Trail with Panorama Point on Right Foreground, The top of Alta Vista on the Left and Mount Rainier.

This and the next photo were taken with a short time lapse between them. Note the hikers still going up the mountain. We stopped our hike in this area, which is at an approximate elevation of 6,650 feet from sea level. There was gusty wind coming up, and we both were not properly dressed and equipped to continue our trek.

'At Mount Rainier, the weather can change rapidly. Hikers who aren't prepared for weather conditions increase their risk of becoming lost or injured. Avoid problems: know and plan for Mount Rainier's changeable weather'. - National Park Service.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
Hiking Up, Looking Up (North)

Same area as previous photo, with hikers moving up the trail.

If we had continued, we would have gone up further, and then hiked over to the right. We could see in the far distance, some of the trail where we would have been. This route also takes those serious hikers who are heading up further to the glaciers and other destinations, including Camp Muir. Camp Muir is a base camp for the more experienced hikers. Those hikers that passed us, as we hiked back down the trail, had large backpacks strapped to their shoulders and backs, with bed rolls and other equipment that they would need as they journeyed further up the Mountain into the snow areas.

'Each year, approximately 10,000 people attempt to climb Mount Rainier. Nearly half reach the 14,410-foot summit. Climbing permits are required for travel above 10,000 feet and/or on glaciers.' - National Park Service

Offline bossgard

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »

Hiking Down, Looking Up (North)

Alta Vista Trail facing north. Left of trail are subalpine trees surrounded by Pink Mountain Heather.

As we made our trek down the mountain, we came upon this beautiful display of mountain flora.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
That's an amazing photo Toby. It looks like you were very fortunate to be up there on such a beautiful day - great visibility to see the the mountains so clearly in the background.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »

Hiking Down, Looking East

In the same bank of flora as the previous photo, a few feet further down are more Pink Mountain Heather and Purple Phlox in front of subalpine trees.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »

Hiking Down, Looking East (Right Side of Trail)

Pink Mountain Heather and Purple Phlox in front of subalpine trees.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
Nice one again Toby.
Hard to believe that all that splendour was "under the snow, waiting to grow" a few weeks before those photos.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2012, 02:57:02 PM »

Hiking Down, Looking in Opposite Direction of previous photo.

Alto Vista Trail, looking at subalpine trees Western Hemlock and Douglas Fir in a field of Wheat Grass and Mountain Lilies (which bloom in May).

Offline bossgard

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »

Hiking Down, Looking Down (South)

The Building you see below (to the Right) in this photo is the Jackson Visitor Center at Paradise Park with the Tátoosh Range in the background.

The parking lot where we parked our automobile is within walking distance of the Jackson Visitor Center. The elevation there is 5,400 feet above sea level.

Mr. Jackson was a State Senator, representing the State of Washington in Washington D.C., the Capital of the United States of America, for many years. He was most active in securing Federal Government Funds for the development of the Mount Rainier National Park.

Because of him and others like him, we are able to enjoy the beauty of The Mountain'. And a beauty it is. We are so fortunate to have Mount Rainier in 'our backyards' to enjoy forever and ever.

This is the FINAL PHOTO of this series pertaining to the Alpine Gardens on Mt. Rainier. HB and I hope this presentation was both entertaining and educational for you. We might have some Alpine Meadow (at lower elevations) pics near Mt. Rainier at a future date.

Other future plan for posting photos to the Forum include some additional photos of Soos Creek Botanical Gardens, and then follow those with lots of photos featuring the Kubota Gardens, which is part of the Seattle, WA Parks System. Kubota Gardens is the first and last of any gardens that I have been to and photographed, that gives you a sense of calmness and peacefulness as soon as you enter. The original Mr. Kubota was definitely a Gardening Genius!

We will give you the Kubota Garden’s Website and some past and present history when we post it’s photos.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »
Well done Toby. That was indeed a very interesting photographic journey for us and a well documented account of the many delights of nature to be enjoyed in the freshness of your mountain hike.

I look forward with great interest to your forthcoming presentations ;)
Did your hiking buddy accompany you on those garden visits?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »

George:

You asked if HB accompanied me on the garden visits. Yes, we are a team, and a Hiking Buddy does just that! And, I’m very lucky to have a GOOD one!

I would never think of taking any hike, whether it is in a garden, a nature path, or the ‘Mountain’ without him.  Accidents can and do happen, and its always nice and comforting to think that I have a friend that has the many talents he has.

During the time he spent in military training, he learned wilderness survival skills, map reading skills, life saving skills, and how to live off the land if one becomes lost, and then be able find his way back home. He also serves as my transportation provider, and my note-taker. The picture captions you have read are his work.

One personal thing I will tell you about HB. He lost his father to cancer when he was 16 years of age. A difficult time to loose a father, when a kid definitely needs someone to ask all those growing-up, important questions to. I understand that his Father was quite a guy, a good guy, a wonderful husband, who adopted three children from HB’s mother’s earlier marriage. He fathered three children with HB’s mother, HB being the youngest. His dad’s death, left the mother with 6 children to raise, and yet she worked full time, put food on the table, and paid the rent. HB had to make it on his own. I understand from him, he was the typical teen-ager; and got himself in trouble with the police and escaped by joining the military. He did serve time in Vietnam. He suffers panic attacks and visions from his experience there! And yes, HB’s mother is still with us, she is 88 years young.

With our relationship, HB has found a father-figure that he can share his thoughts with (and I listen), and I have found a great hiking companion and FRIEND! Yes, he is definitely a part of our team. I wouldn’t have it any other way! Thanks, HB!

- Toby

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
Your HB sure is a wonderful guy, Toby (and so are you!!).
I'm delighted for both of you, to have forged such a solid relationship.
Long may it continue - my best wishes to you both.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

George, to carry out our discussion about the importance of having a Hiking Companion on the trails in the Pacific Northwest one step further, I bring to your attention this short news story, published in the Seattle Times, Tuesday, July 31, 2012:

"Ellensburg

Seattle Hiker dies after fall

A Seattle man has died
while hiking near Cle Elum.

The Kittitas County sheriff’s
office says 54-year-old
Aram “Chris” Abajian apparently
fell down a steep embankment
Saturday in the Mineral Creek area."

Could this unfortunate incident have been prevented, if this gentleman had a hiking companion with him? I would like to think so. More and more we are hearing and reading about these unfortunate events on the trails, and not only with amateur hikers but those with considerable experience.

I still want somebody with me! Thank God for HB!

- Toby