Author Topic: St Saviour's Church, Brockenhurst, New Forest  (Read 6265 times)

NightHawk

St Saviour's Church, Brockenhurst, New Forest
« on: June 23, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »
The following photos are of St Saviour's Church in Brockenhurst, New Forest (especially for you Eric H  ;) ).

We weren't able to get any photos inside, but it is in a beautiful setting and the outside structure is very appealing.

I'm sure Eric H can give his expert opinion here  ;D

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:53:11 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: St Saviour's Church, Brockenhurst, New Forest
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
Thank you Laurie, I am flattered that it was taken specially for me  :)

It looks like a good solid bit of early Edwardian gothic with an east window in the style of the first half of the 14th century (Decorated Period is how it is described). I have a row of reference books beside me in our little office and I am able to reach for them without leaving my chair. I have found out that it was designed by architects Romaine-Walker & Besant (of whom I have never heard) and that the grey stone is from Swanage. It gives the date as 1903 (the notice says 1905) but one is probably when it was designed and the other when it was completed.

Romaine-Walker designed All Saints in Lymington in 1909 and I am told that is also in the Decorated style

I have also found out that Romaine-Walker and Tanner designed Rhinefield Lodge (House?) which is 3 miles from Brockenhurst so perhaps you know it. That was built between 1888-90 "in an Elizabethan style mixed with Flamboyant and Gothic motifs", so my Pevsner tells me, and he goes on to add "The building is composed with panache". The great hall is 67ft x 25 ft with a hammer beam roof. The Builder (17 August 1889) says "the principal cellar has a capacity of 1,000 dozen". It sounds as though it could be an imposing pile.

If you are not careful you may start me off adding to this thread under your all embracing title "Church Architecture"  ;D I have probably around 10,000 shots of churches I have taken up and down the country. It may sound a lot but quite often I take more than 100 in one church with all the details.

Funnily enough I have not taken many in Hampshire. I would love to revisit Christchurch, now I am geared up camera-wise, but that is unlikely, I am afraid. I remember being very impressed with the Priory and I would love to photograph it in detail.

Eric H

PS I have just noticed that the blue notice says that the church was built as a chapel for Rhinefield House so that must be nearby.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:54:02 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
Interesting subject matter folk - thanks for starting this topic Laurie with such a fine example.

If you are not careful you may start me of adding to this thread under your all embracing title "Church Architecture"

Please DO Eric!
May I suggest you add a new "Church Architecture" Section Laurie?
Then, it would be easy to add a topic for each church featured.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:54:15 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
New Board Photography/Church Architecture created and this topic moved here.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
Yes Eric, I do indeed know Rhinefield House.  It's situated just outside the main village of Brockenhurst, and is now a Hotel and Luxury Apartments.

I have provided a link to the History of Rhinefield which you may find interesting.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
Thanks for the link to the history of the house, Laurie, which is interesting. It says that "parts of the original cellars are incorporated into the leisure complex which includes an indoor pool, gym, sauna and spa pool, etc." That's where the 1,000 dozen bottles of wine were kept!  ;D

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
Funnily enough I have not taken many in Hampshire. I would love to revisit Christchurch, now I am geared up camera-wise, but that is unlikely, I am afraid. I remember being very impressed with the Priory and I would love to photograph it in detail.
Well Eric, we visit Christchurch quite often, as it's not too far away from us.  The Priory is a beautiful building with a handy car park right next to it  ;D

I'll put that on my agenda and see what shots I can get for you to post here  ;)