General Category > General Discussion

Running Ideas Genie pro on 2 computers with cloud-synced database and photos

(1/1)

NigelF:
Many thanks to George for helping me set up Ideas Genie Pro 6 (IGP) on my new (Windows 11) laptop, with database and photos stored in the Cloud, so that my 2 computers use the same data which is accessible anywhere in the world.

Even with 500+ linked photos this was very straightforward, so I thought it would be worth letting you know what is involved in case anyone else wants to do it.

I used Google Drive for Cloud storage in preference to Dropbox because it has more storage and fewer limitations.  However, Dropbox would work in the same way.

1.  On Computer 1 (the desktop that I have used for years) use the backup program to move the database to a folder on Google Drive.
2.  Make this the Startup folder.
3.  Download IGP to Computer 2 (my new laptop) and set the startup folder to be the one on Google Drive.
  Note -  I found that Google Drive had to be 'mapped' to the same drive letter (eg K:) on both computers.
          -  At some point (once you are confident it will work!) you will need to purchase an additional IGP licence.
4.  Now both computers access the same database but only Computer 1 can see all the linked photos.
5.  Copy a folder containing linked photos to Google Drive.
6.  Tell IGP on Computer 1 that your linked photos are now in this folder (instructions to do this are in the Help page for program GA630 Link Photos).
7   Do the same on Computer 2.
8.  Repeat steps 5-7 if you have linked photos in several folders.

And that's all there is to it!

Now I can use my desktop to comfortably work on IGP (I like a bigger screen!) but then use my laptop with an identical system anywhere I like.

ideasguy:
Many thanks for posting this Nigel. I've taken the liberty of editing your post and broadcasting it to all members.
Its good to know that this was achieved so easily :D
You do need quite a bit of storage to host a personal collection of Garden and Plant photos so Google Drive was a good choice.
I look forward to receiving a selection of your photos so I can do a set of web pages using the Web Projects program in Ideas Genie to show our members and with your permission I'll post the link in this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version