Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

Potatoes - Blight, disorders and mineral deficiencies.

<< < (2/7) > >>

roiphil:
George bad news on your potatoes, i dont grow potatoes myself but i was researching into a disease on xmas trees and it was recommeded bordeaux mixture looking further into bordeaux mixture i am sure i read it can be used for potatoe blight, (by now my brain is full of what disease it could be what chemicals sorting out american stuff etc etc) could be worth taking a further research look into that stuff it may help you

Phil

ideasguy:
Thanks for that info Phil.
I did a search on bordeaux mixture for potatoes and found this
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=217

In particular, read the section on Chemical control.
I think Eric would be happier if I were to use your bordeaux mixture as its a protectant fungicide containing copper.

The site above had a link to this:-
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=456

Good reliable info from the RHS 8)

roiphil:
glad it helped  ;)

Eric Hardy:
Just tuned in George. Not good news at all  :( Like Laurie. we are not potato growers. The nearest thing we grow are tomatoes where I believe the same rules apply on the rain front. Just had a look at them and (fingers crossed)  they seem OK. i don't know whether preventative spraying is necessary or not. Our packet of dithane says "spray on the first signs of blight".

We had blight in the greenhouse last year but even Monty Don had blight on his greenhouse tomatoes then.

Good luck with your spraying.

ERicH

ideasguy:
So far (touch wood) out tomatoes are fine. In fact we have a bumper crop and have been eating them for a few weeks now.
Ive read that they are "safer" in the greenhouse as the airborne spores have to find a way to get to them. I don't have any growing outdoors.

From the weather forecasts, I can see you folk in south and east of England are having blazing sunshine. We are sitting under those large clouds you see over Ireland. It rained all afternoon and evening yesterday and also this morning.
Its cleared up. Sun is out as I write (over coffee) and I've got some much needed weeding done.
Hey ho, hey ho...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version