Author Topic: Computer help!!!!!!!!!!1  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Palustris

Computer help!!!!!!!!!!1
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »
It threw a hissy fit last night (Why does it always do that when the Boss turns it off?  She is getting paranoid!). It refused to shut down. This morning it came up with the Message 'Windows is resumiing' and after a nail biting 5 minutes it started up ok. Only thing wrong I could see is the Clock was stopped at the time we tried to shut down last night.
So to the help..I have Backed up IGPro as I always have so that is not a problem, but there is a Backup program in Vista. Now I have a 30gb external hard drive and what I want to do is to back up most (not all, there is a lot of not really important stuff on it which can be easily re-done in need be.) of my  C. Drive.
I am bothered that if I begin and there is not enough room on the External for everything, will the whole machine crash? Can I select what goes on to the External?
Has anyone ever done this in Vista.
Hope this is clear
TIA.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Computer help!!!!!!!!!!1
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:22 AM »
I dont think the whole machine will crash, Eric, but the entire backup may fail if you run out of disc space. No big deal, you can start again.

RE:
Can I select what goes on to the External?
Thats the important question.
As of this week, I now have a Vista computer on the next desk. Its for testing, so can have a look later.
What is that backup program? Steps to start it on a Vista machine?
Its best to explore the options in that program and see how to backup selectively.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:18 AM »
All Programs/System tools/Backup and Restore Centre is the location.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
Eric, I don't have a Vista computer but have a suggestion.

To ensure your most precious data is backed up quickly, open Windows Explorer (or whatever Vista are calling it now) to view your attached drives.  Then drag and drop the files you want to backup from your C drive to the external, starting with your most important files.  You'll then be able to keep a check on the remaining disk space as you go along.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:52 AM »
A bit different on the Vista computer here.
All Programs/Accessories/System tools/Backup Status and Configuration

In that utility, it excludes Program Files and System Files, but backups everything else, with no options that I can see.
Your 80gb external drive will almost certainly take that lot, Eric.

Incidentally, with the new restrictions in Vista, I had to set my software up to install in 2 locations
The executables (e.g. GA030, GA032 etc) are programs and are stored under Program Files
The data files are stored under your user profile.
That Vista program doesnt backup the Program Files, so any downloads you do from the Ideas Genie Support web site are not backed up.
That means, in the event of failure, you would have to install IG Pro again from the CD supplied by ideasforgardens,.com
If you use the old original CD, then the user would have to do all the downloads to get up to current level.

If you can do it using the nethod suggested by Laurie, than thats best.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »
You see this is the problem in a nutshell. I have all the Data (pics, Masterdata for IG, Wordfiles etc.) already stored elsewhere. That is not the problem. It is the system stuff I want to be able to save and restore, Windows Vista itself even. We should have made a Recovery Disc when we first got the machine, but they did not tell us this until it was too late to do it. So now if it crashes we are stuck I suppose. Ah well if I disappear you will know why. I certainly will not be able to buy a new system for a while.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:40:28 PM »

That Vista program doesnt backup the Program Files, so any downloads you do from the Ideas Genie Support web site are not backed up.

George does this mean that even though i backup to a memory stick thingy each time i use ig the downloads will not be on the memory stick thing whats it called that i stick in a usb port

Palustris i have vista home premium if you do get stuck i have a system recovery disc you will also need drivers & utilities or server start cd which i have as well, 2 discs there, its a fujitsu siemens recovery dvd which came with my pc also included were issendis office one v7 and microsoft works 8.5, you are more than welcome to borrow aslong as you return them

is your pc not under any warranty where you get phoneline help i bought mine from harvey normans and the help came in very usefull
Phil

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »
Thanks Phil, hopefully it will not come to that. Company we bought from would probably be helpful, they were at the beginning, but the machine is out of warrantee now.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »
just pm if you need them

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:31:31 PM »
RE (Phil)
George does this mean that even though i backup to a memory stick thingy each time i use ig the downloads will not be on the memory stick
Thats the down side of the directive by Microsoft that Programs and Data should be installed in different folders on your disc drive.
Thats why I had to put that extra functionality into the "About xxxxx Genie" programs (GA200, FG200, BS200)
In your case, start GA200, and you'll see:
Item 5: Programs folder (the .exe files= the executables like GA004, GA037 etc)
Item 6: Core data folder
The extra functionality gives the user "visibility" as to where things are located.
Its been invaluable to me when called upon for support, as some members here well know  ;)

When you use the Backup programs within IG (etc) the program backs up the Core data folder, NOT the Programs folder.
Thats not a great worry.
In the event of a catastrophe, you can install from the IG Pro, and get the updates from the website.

Backing the Programs folder up may be a good idea for you and Eric (on dialup) since downloading a list of updates may take a while.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:34:57 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 07:04:39 PM »
shall have to look on the programme updates page and see what versions and save what i need to disc i think i have had to only update 1 or 2 things anyway
Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »
Leave the downloads for a couple of days, Phil. Ive some more to put up there.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 12:19:28 PM »
Leave the downloads for a couple of days, Phil. Ive some more to put up there.

ok