Author Topic: New Board created in Garden Buildings  (Read 2286 times)

NightHawk

New Board created in Garden Buildings
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »
Due to the increasing interest in Alpine gardening I have created a new board that caters for the need for Alpine Houses.

I hope you will find it interesting and make use of it.

Laurie.

NightHawk

Re: New Board created in Garden Buildings
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:23:55 PM »
I would like to ask for the help of Eric (Palustris on the Forum) to get this new Board rolling.

Eric is very keen on Alpine gardening, and it is an area that Kathy and I, and George, have recently become very interested in.

I would very much like to see some photos from Eric of his own Alpine House, and any helpful info as to its construction - kit form or hand-made.

If you're up to the challenge Eric, can you get us going on this one.   ;D

Any helpful advice for temperature controls, glass or plastic window panes, situation in relation to the sun, etc.  Anything you feel is an important area to consider when looking for an Alpine House.

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »
Ok, you've got me! What is an Alpine House? It is not a term that has caught on, this side of the pond that I know of. I'm sure that I will  know after several postings have been made to this Board. I know what an Alpine meadow is, any relation? Sounds intriguing!
- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 06:32:11 AM »
Alpine houses allow alpine plants to be grown in places with significantly different conditions from those they would experience in their native habitats.  In the wild, alpines spend the winter dormant, dry and protected from the desiccating effect of cold winds by a blanket of snow.

Spring in alpine climates arrives rapidly, with melting snow providing moisture for growth.  A short growing season means that plants have to grow quickly, taking advantage of the brief period of moisture and intense light.  Seasonal changes in alpine climates are abrupt.

Horticultural alpines also benefit from the protection of an alpine house.  The rainfall in their natural environment may vary significantly from the conditions in Britain.  The protection from frost afforded by a house further extends the range of plants that can be grown and high temperatures can be avoided by shading, ventilation and other devices.

Britain's weather conditions are considerably different, being defined by fluctuating temperatures and humidity.  In an alpine house, shading, air movement and additional light can all be provided.  Most importantly, where plants are grown in a protected environment, the amount of water they receive can be controlled, giving them the cultural conditions they need to thrive.

I hope that makes things a little clearer Toby.  :)

We don't have an Alpine House yet.  I say YET as our garden space is at a premium at the moment, but Kathy is now hinting at ME constructing a smaller structure in a 'little' unused corner of the rear garden.  ::)  I build her an obelisk then she goes wild with enthusiasm, having great plans for my next woodworking task.  Ho hum.  I suppose that's what comes of watching too many episodes of The New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abrams.  I'm really flattered that she believes I have the skill and confidence to tackle such a project.

We have just recently got into growing Alpine plants, and Eric (Palustris on the Forum) has been a great help and inspiration to us.  Telling us suitable plants for our location, and ones to avoid because of their invasiveness.  Thanks again Eric for all your help, it's much appreciated.  8)

So, if I get my arm twisted by Kathy I may yet be embarking on an Alpine House project.   ::)

As they say, watch this space... (or rather, watch the space in the Garden Buildings section of the Forum.)  ;)

Laurie.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 07:55:49 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
I will post in this as soon as I am a bit more 'with it'.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 07:28:49 PM »
My first impression of the words 'Alpine House' made me think of perhaps a ski lodge residence on the slopes of Mt. Rainier. Like those big posh places that only the rich can afford. In real simple terms for here in the US I would say it's similar to a Greenhouse that might be dedicated to Orchid growing. I don't do it, but my Greenhouse supplier's catalog devotes several pages to equipment for this purpose. Misters, heaters, ventilation, etc. Will eagerly await Eric's postings, and yours, Kathy and Laurie, to learn more. 
- Toby
P.S. My hiking buddy and I are planning a trip to Paradise at Mt. Rainier tomorrow. He promises me plenty of sites for photos: Alpine meadows, Alpine lakes, waterfalls, etc.  If I can sneak out any plant specimens while the Forest Rangers are not looking, I will send them over to you.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »
I suppose it does rather sound like one of those high-class ski lodges.  Nice one Toby.  ;D

Alpine Houses can look a bit like greenhouses, but works in almost the opposite way, strangely enough.  So when the greenhouse is useful for getting heat to your plants, the Alpine House is to keep the extreme heat off them, whilst affording protection from the other elements.

I hope the new Alpine House Board I set up will prove to be popular, and get a lot of postings. Eric (Palustris) has already said he will contribute to the Board as soon as he gets chance to.  We really value his input on the topic of Alpines (and others of course.  ;) )

I hope you enjoy your hiking trip tomorrow Toby, have a good safe time.

Also, just be careful about those plant specimens.  We don't want to have to be chatting with you on the Forum from behind prison bars.  :D

Catch up with you later, when you can tell us all about it.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 11:10:48 PM by Kathy & Laurie »