Author Topic: What does hort. in a plant name mean?  (Read 4043 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
What does hort. in a plant name mean?
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
I'm adding more plants to the Master Database. Ive come across numerous plants which have the word hort. in their name.
Ive found this term described before, most likely on the RHS website, but I cant find that page again.

Here's an example
Clematis × cartmanii hort. 'White Abundance'

Can anyone help?

Offline whis4ey

Re: What does hort. in a plant name mean?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »
OK ...  I have just telephoned RHS to find out what the word means.  Basically it is used to indicate that the description, in this case 'cartmanii', has not been botanically described, but is a description that is commonly used and accepted within horticultural circles.  So there you have it :)
Now ...  do I go to the top of the class? :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:06:41 PM by whis4ey »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »
Young man, step right up to the front of the class!

Teach whispers (kicking himself) - now, why didnt I think of that - I joined the RHS a few weeks ago!!

Good thing is, it will stick in my grey memory cells better after discussing it here.

Nice one, and thanks Billy   ;)

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »
It just goes to show guys, we learn something new all the time.  8)

And yes George, you can teach an old dog new tricks.  :D

Sorry, but you left yourself open to that one.  ;D

Laurie.

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:26:17 AM »
Well, I learn something new everytime I log in.  Well done, Gold star we think.
Busy writing at present so haven't been on forum much.  Camera is still not back from Barcelona where it is being mended and Alistair's camera is not working now, so i can't take a picture of the finished sunken terrace yet.  Hope your all enjoyng the summer

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »
Hi all
Yip, I'd spent a good half hour reading over the Botanical Names articles and couldn't find the answer. Many thanks to Billy  :)
See the links at the bottom of this page:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSPlantFinder/plantfinder.asp
I used the content of those documents in the design of Ideas Genie Pro database, to ensure all plants could be entered, no matter how complex.
At first, some may appear heavy reading, with lots of new terms. Keep revisiting from time to time as your knowledge grows and gradually (at least in my case) things start to register.
Occasionally, that leads to a version upgrade, as I decide to include extra data fields to allow the user to enter more detail.
I try to find a balance between making it user friendly (a very elusive quality), and making it serve its purpose to plant experts.
Incidentally, if a plant is TOO complicated to fit the given fields in IG Pro, click on the Complex Name checkbox.
You can then add ANY plant name in free text.

Good to see Billy has been promoted in the class to carry the prestigious Gold Star (What a great idea Lynda!)
Looking forward to seeing that sunken terrace looks now its finished  8)

Oh!! We have another Gold Star to award. Palustris sent me a private email, with the correct information. Well done guys - I'm impressed  8)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:52:47 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
So nice to see you back again Lynda, what with your heavy schedule and all.  ;)

Both cameras out of commission at the same time - how awful is that.  :o

I'm not sure where our summer has got to though.  Up here in the northeast of UK we're getting combinations of thunderstorms, light to heavy rainfall, cold winds, then a bit of sunshine.  Playing havoc with our gardening.
Having said all that, yesterday was hot and sticky, with hardly a breath of wind.  Today - hot and sunny with just a hint of a breeze to take the edge off.  Good gardening weather today then, but weekend forecast is pretty grim with more rain on the way.  :(

I also learnt something about that hort. name.  I guessed an abbreviation for Horticulture but didn't understand what it actually meant.

We're also RHS members but never thought to contact any of their offices to ask what it meant  Gold star indeed to both Billy (whis4ey) and Eric (Palustris) for getting it right.

Laurie.

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 04:32:30 AM »
I am also a member of the RHS, I find them really useful for research on plants for my book.  Alistsir rang Barcelona and it seems that my camera should be back by the end of next week.  I have been lost without it.  Very hot here now and August is when the Spanish companies close down for holidays because its too hot to work.  Everything slows right down, even more manana than usual.  Thankfully the irrigation is doing its job but it still leaves an hour plus of watering each day. Lemon trees are just starting to fruit and figs are nearly ready. They are great cooked on the BBQ,  cut a cross in the top, pour in honey and a squeeze of fresh orange juice, wrap in foil and place on BBQ for about 8 minutes, serve with creme fraiche. Absolutely delicious. Watched Tatton Park Flower show on TV this evening.  Haven't heard anything about how Monty Don is now after his slight stroke.  Has anybody else.?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »
They are great cooked on the BBQ...

I take it you are referring to Figs, Lynda?

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »
George, the mind boggles at the thought of a lemon tree being cooked on the BBQ :)

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
Oops, yes figs? but if i come with a recipe for lemons I'll let you know :-)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:44 PM »
RE:
the mind boggles at the thought of a lemon tree being cooked on the BBQ

Ha! I feel a bit of a lemon after that    :-[ ;D