Author Topic: Poppy Identification required  (Read 5379 times)

NightHawk

Poppy Identification required
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:07:14 PM »
We've just been going through our digital photo library and came across the following pictures.

They were taken in August 2004 and are of what we believe to be wild poppies.  They flowered a few times in our rear garden prior to this date, which we did not plant, staying in flower for just a few days each time.  They have not appeared again since 2004.

Does anyone have any ideas about what variety they may have been?

Kathy & Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Poppy Identification required
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »
I dont know what variety they are, Kathy and Laurie, but they sure are lovely.

My sister-in-law gave me a bag of poppy seed once, and they have been in my garden ever since - well over 10 years.
My original ones were a very nice pastel pink. I liked them so much, I bought other packets. They were purples and reds, and now I think Ive lost the original strain. Now you've reminded me, I'll get some more seed.

Nowadays, they just pop up (very punny) in the most unusual places - e.g. very close to the edge of a path, or, in very poor soil  etc - places where I'd never plant anything, so I just let them grow where they want. I love them!

The variety I had grew to about 3ft. Do you recall - is that something similar to yours?
The foliage is exactly as yours.

Are you thinking of buying more seed? If you need help, I'll look up a catalog for you and try and point you in the right direction.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:10:39 PM »
The tallest that ours grew to were between 12 - 18 inches, so it probably is not the same one.  We were just curious as to why they hadn't appeared again.  Most likely got dug out accidentally during re-planting of the borders they were in.

Anyway, Kathy has recently bought 4 varieties of poppy seeds (not like the one we tried to identify though).  These look more like the conventional poppy that most people would recognise as being a 'Poppy.'

1)  "Oriental Coral Pink Poppy" - Papaver orientale 'Coral Pink'
2)  "Californian Buttermilk Poppy" - Eschscholzia californica 'Buttermilk'
3)  "Oriental Brilliant Poppy" - Papaver orientale 'Brilliant'
4)  "Ladybird Poppy" - Papaver commutatum 'Ladybird'

These are part of our steadily expanding seed collection for plants to appear in our front garden project.  The planting scheme is taking shape nicely in Kathy's mind at the moment.  She's got some great ideas and I just go along with them as I can't come up with anything better.  :)

We haven't been able to get much progress going in the turf removal over the past few days as we've had constantly -8 degrees Celsius overnight temperatures, which has left the garden rock solid and doesn't thaw out enough during the day to be able to work on.  :(

It's been slightly warmer today however, but we've now got gale force winds to contend with.  >:(  Still, these things are sent to try us.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:39:05 AM »
My poppies were annuals, Kathy & Laurie, and probably your one was too (and I forgot to congratulate you on the quality of thoise photos - excellent!)
As such, they dont come back next year.
However, they self seed nicely - they are never troublesome.

If the soil is turned over, the seed may be buried too deep to germinate. However, seed can survive for a few years (weed seed is "good" for 7 years) so may surprise you some time in the future if the soil is turned so they get near the surface again.

Nice selection you have there, and I see you've gone for the Ladybird!! They are gorgeous!
The orientale's are perennials, so they will come back next year. Ive found then to be very reliable. I have a few, and their flowers open to the size of dinner plates. Mine are orange (and I mean VIVID orange), and believe me, you wont miss them walking past!
Have fun with the greenhouse. I couldnt do without mine. It means you have something to do, hail, rain or shine.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »
Thank you for the compliment regarding the photos.  Those photos are scaled down considerably for web use.  The originals are 22 Megabytes in size, as I took them using the macro close-up feature of my Nikon camera, and the much larger detail is fantastic.

Photography is one of my main hobbies, and I used to do freelance work many years ago for Weddings, Portraits and Landscapes.  But this would be a topic under a more appropriate section of the Forum, so I won't go into more detail here.

Also, thank you for the offer of a seed catalogue.  Kathy has a few good ones at the moment so she's okay for now.  :)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »
RE: Catalogs - I didnt actually mean to send a catalog - merely that I'd do a lookup in my Catalogs and recall what varieties I purchased.

I'm looking forward to more photos Laurie! They really are high quality, even reduced  8)
If we can put names to the plants in our photos, they are invaluable.

As you know, I'm working on Catalogs for two Nurseries at present (hence so quiet) and the success of those projects may depend on how good their photos are.
I'm also working on a second project - converting a plant list (2708) plants) for Sherwood Garden
(see the trailer here http://www.ideasforgardens.net/)
The owners have sent me 2 CD's with photos, and Ive been given permission to use them on the web site, and on the Master.
Each time I complete a Catalog on CD for a client, or a list of plants for a Garden, I roll their plants list into the Master Database (adding only plants which are not there already) Thats how its grown to its current proportions.
Theres thousands of plants on the Master, and I'm hoping members wil contribute to its success by donating photos for plants which dont have photos as yet.
A very big diversion from topic there, but just wanted to remind members how important their photos are.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:12:00 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »
The poppy in the top photo is one of the forms of Papaver somniferum. To see a wide selection look at this catalogue
http://www.poppyheadsltd.co.uk/4654/index.html
The grower is very keen and very knowledgible (ok he is also a friend!)

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »
Thanks very much for that information, it's really useful.  8)

We had a look at the web site.  It's amazing how many varieties of poppy are available.

Well done again for that identification.  :)

Kathy & Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the link Eric. That is a lovely web site - your friend has done a great job.
I read the Guest book, and notice that he gives lectures (talks)
Its nice to have a good source for poppies. They are essential in the garden.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »
He co wrote the book on Fritillaries . His talk is very good and it is done as a digital presentation.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »
Now, theres another plant for Kathy and Laurie, and what a range to choose from. Your friends book would be a good buy, Eric!

These are one of the most striking plants in the Genus that Ive seen:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/329.shtml
I first seen them in my sisters garden, long before I started gardening, and I was compelled to kneel down and "check" them out.
Those checked patterns are SO pretty.
Ive bought some for my own garden,of course, and they have self seeded a little. Ive collected the seed and managed to produce more of these delights.
In spite of their delicate appearance, I've found them to be tough and resilient little plants, fighting their way though "pasture"
You'll find some more info on Fritillaria meleagris (and others in the Genus) in the Master Database. I haven't linked it to a photo yet - will do ASAP.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 11:25:37 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
When I mentioned Palustris's posting to Kathy she said straight away that she knew one of the Fritillary varieties was the Snake's head, and she described the purple/checkered head exactly, before I'd even mentioned George's description of the very same one in the following posting.  Of all the varieties it could have been, and to be thinking of the same one.  Isn't that spooky?  :o 
I said she was good.  ;)

Anyway, followed your link and confirmed it would like full sun or partial shade, so seems ideal for our front garden.

They're now on our shopping list of plants to buy.  8)

It's great that you can then sow their seeds to get more and more plants, for FREE.  :D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:38:22 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 08:47:29 AM »
Just a quick word of warning, almost all of the Frtiillery bulbs sold in packets are DEAD. Buy growing plants if you can, they are more expensive, but as you say, they are easy enough to grow from seed. If they like the space then they do spread quickly.

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »
Thank you for that very important piece of information.  :o

We were going to be looking for suppliers of bulbs to get started, but will now look for plants instead.  It doesn't seem worth the risk of wasting money on a potential packet of 'duds'.

You have saved us a lot of grief there.

Thank you once again.

Kathy & Laurie.

Tom

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:59 PM »
Hello,
         I think what you have is a double form of the biennial poppy Papaver somniferum, it will self sow all over your garden. It is very variable from seed you may not get the same one again.

NightHawk

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 08:06:15 PM »
Hi Tom

Thanks for that info.  It ties in nicely with what Palustris mentioned earlier in this topic.  8)

Sadly though, it never self-seeded itself so we must have jinxed it somehow, or completely devastated its seeds.  :(

It's great to have input like that, so keep up the good work.