Author Topic: Beautiful weather  (Read 4439 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Beautiful weather
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:42 PM »
This past three days have been just beautiful. It was a zany 22 degrees C this morning (zany by Irish standards of course) and much too hot for the garden so we took a drive to the seaside resort of Newcastle Co Down. It can be quite chilly there, even on a good day, but it was just perfect today. This evening, we have had rain, so the garden will be happy with that. Tomorrow and Friday to be nice.
I can put up with this 8).
Hope you are enjoying summer!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Beautiful weather
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »
Here too George, and just what we want today, which is our 60th wedding anniversary  :D

All Saints Church, High Wycombe, 28th July 1951

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
Ditto here too for the good weather.

We HAVE been doing some gardening though, despite the hot weather - the long grass and weeds demanded it  :D

In a nearby garden there's a 25 feet high ash tree, and it's seeded all around us.  We've had to pull up several young branches of the stuff from around our garden yesterday.  It grows far too big and prolifically to be left in the garden, so it has to go.  Other neighbours round about are also doing the same thing.  I've never known a tree like it  :o

Anyway, in between our gardening tasks we have been enjoying our leisure time.  We feel so fortunate to be in the New Forest now, and within 5 minutes car drive we're in the heart of our favourite forest walks.
Our little 'Pixie' puppy also enjoys these walks.  We don't need to be loaded down with backpacks or anything like that, being so close to home we can travel light  ;)

The New Forest ponies are a delight to see as they amble along, and across, the forest roads (didn't see that up north).  When we went out yesterday afternoon there were a lot of new foals grazing merrily with their parents.  You just have to be patient waiting for a safe moment to pass them, giving them a wide berth.  Beautiful.

We're only 10 minutes drive from the south coast, so we've got that option for a change.  Forest and coastal walks on your doorstep, what more could you ask for.  It's the best move we've ever made.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Congratulations on your 60th Eric and Anthea. Thanks for posting the photo of the happy event :)
I can see from that photo that the sun was shining for you on your wedding day.
I hope you had a lovely family reunion for your anniversary, and heres wishing you good health to enjoy many more!

I think we can also congratulate Laurie and Kathy - I'm very pleased to read that you are both so happy in your new location Laurie.
It does indeed seem to be exactly what you have been dreaming of. Enjoy!!

As for the Ash trees - they should come with a warning! Pull up any sign of them ASAP!!!!
I will be posting photos of the work we have had done over the past six months here (house extension, new garage - bedlam!!)
The builders removed a LARGE Ash tree from the hedge adjacent to where the garage is no built. It took a digger most of a day to excavate the roots - they were trying to save my Castlewellan Gold (conifer) hedge. In the end it took a teleporter to lift, and the digger to lift to get it over the hedge and into the adjacent laneway.
The longer they are allowed to grow,the bigger the bill to have them removed. They can also cast extensive shade.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
Thank you George. We are expecting the door bell to ring. Mark, Rosie and three children (well young people) are flying in from Canada and are due here any minute.

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
Indeed Eric, congratulations on your 60th (Diamond) wedding anniversary.

Sorry I left that out in my last posting, I was in a bit of a rush and overlooked not including my best wishes.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the congratulations, Laurie. We have a house full of jet lagged people so I am the first to be up and about. I thought I would have a quick peek at the computer. Another lovely sunny morning. Our little office looks east and the sun is already streaming in and I can't see a cloud anywhere.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
The scene is set for a lovely weekend for you all, Eric. Enjoy it all with your family and friends!
You have a lot of catching up to do and reconnect with all your grandchildren and great-grandchildren!!!

We were up early today as well. Our 18yo grandson stayed over and is off to Boston USA for 2 weeks holiday,to stay with his uncle (his mums side of the family - a lecturer in Harvard Uni). Julian (my son) has just left, driving him to Dublin on the first leg of the adventure. He is flying out all by himself and returning with his grandmother. She travelled over two weeks ago.

The sun is shining- the fine weather continues!!

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »
Have a great weekend Eric.

Weather here today not so good so far.

Still warm, but started off with rain and now overcast with the odd drizzle  :(

Laurie.

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:04:11 AM »
First of all, congratulations Eric and Anthea on your 60th wedding anniversay. I loved the photograph, it reminded me so much of my parents 60th, that they celebrated just 2 years ago, here's a few photo's of their celebration if you're interested: http://johnandkathb.smugmug.com/Parties/Pam-Neville-Bullivants-60th/9778662_NMW6x.

Now to the weather, we've had a tough time here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, it's been really hot and humid in most of the US, here, cool and damp. We finally got a few more normal summer days - highs in the upper 70's, low 80's (F) and no humidity -- so we decided to have a garden party today -- so, of course, it was lovely yesterday and then today, showers and drizzly this morning...

Finally, at 3:50pm, the sun comes out, the garden party started at 4... what a sigh of relief....

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 07:36:03 AM »
Thank you for your congratulations, John, and link to your parents 60th. We had a big do in a village hall and afterwards our descendants and wives/partners returned to our house. I set the camera on a tripod with the 10 second timer for a family group (my son Mark, on the right did the running about  :)) Unfortunately our great grandson Zack ran out of frame and I didn't notice until later, I had wanted 4 generations in the picture  :(. The house is full to overflowing, as you can imagine, and one grandson is even sleeping in the summerhouse. As soon as the young ones stir (they seem to sleep in much later than the older ones  :)) seven of us are off to Wales, near Carmarthen, to continue our family get together at our eldest son, Adam's, old farmhouse, until Thursday (he is on the right, back row). In the middle row, 2nd from right, Sarah, and next to her, Ira, live in Vancouver so not too far away from you. For George's interest, if he reads this, Tom, our youngest, on the left front row plays his bassoon frequently in Belfast with the Ulster Symphony Orchestra.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
What a fantastic photo Eric. I hope you can reconstruct and get Zack in the frame for the 4G before the end of the holiday reunions.
Its already a treasure. You and Anthea are looking proud and relaxed - just great! Benji is in pole position (after the main subjects of course). From your many postings on the forum its very apparent that he is near and dear to you.
Your son Mark is very like you Eric!!

I hope to see Tom on his next concert in Belfast Eric. Please let me know if anything is planned. I was disappointed when I was unable to go to the previous events.

I'll have a look at your parents 60th photos later John. Its nice to take a trip down memory lane :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to the album John. I almost missed the last one, your Mum and Dad cutting the cake :)
Great photos and nice to look back on. The garden is looking really well!! Does your Dad maintain that?

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 05:02:48 AM »
My Mum is the gardener at home, Dad follows instructions! He cuts the lawn and does the heavy pruning.

We'll be out of touch for a while now - off to Cornwall to see my wife's parents, her father is quite sick - I'll probably manage a quick run up to Manchester to help out there -- I heard some mutterings about a living room that needed paint!

Will be back around the 20th of August.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:13:20 PM »
Have a safe journey John. I hope your wifes father is feeling better by the time you arrive. It will cheer him up I'm sure. Its difficult when your families are separated by the Atlantic ocean!

NightHawk

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
Have a safe trip John and we hope all goes well with your family visit.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »
Your son Mark is very like you Eric!!
I hope to see Tom on his next concert in Belfast Eric. Please let me know if anything is planned. I was disappointed when I was unable to go to the previous events.
Mark & Rosie departed this morning after a wonderful family week together in Wales with our eldest son, Adam. You say Mark looks like me. Well when he was about 18 he went to visit my parents in Barnard Castle, Teesdale, where I was born and bred. He walked down the street and was taken aback when a passer by said "hello Eric". I suppose whoever it was remembered me as I was 30 years earlier
I will check with Tom about his Belfast engagements.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:18:18 PM »
RE:
He walked down the street and was taken aback when a passer by said "hello Eric"

Au contraire! Perhaps you haven't changed a bit Eric ;D