Author Topic: Our first snowfall  (Read 5179 times)

NightHawk

Our first snowfall
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
It started yesterday evening at about 8pm, the first snowfall in the northeast for 2010.  :o

It continued overnight and again this morning.

We've had about one inch of snowfall up to now.

This morning we spoke to the estate agent in Hampshire who is handling the purchase of our new home, and they have not had any snow yet.  That's great to hear and wish we were there now.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Our first snowfall
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
Brrrr!
Just saw the news and the snowscenes on TV and shivered! That big band of snow was right down the Northeast of the mainland.
Hope it doesn't blow this way! Nothing here (as yet!) I'm pleased to report but it sure is cold!

Yes, I'm sure you cant wait to move to the south of the country Laurie!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:49:24 PM »

We may not have any snow down here Laurie, but it was minus 3c last night, and only just above freezing all day.

Malcolm

In Tropical Dorset  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:26:53 PM »
Nice one Malcolm - you just wait until we're down there  :P  ;)  :D

Our temperatures have been just below freezing, but not as low as yours, so that's why we got snow and you didn't (yet!)

We're just hoping, and checking the weather forecasts for the south region, that the roads stay clear of snow - at least until we get the move done.  Although we'll still be travelling by train the removal van has a long road journey with all of our furniture, etc.

Fingers crossed.

Laurie.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:39:00 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »
Snowflakes a fallin' as I write, but fortunately its puddles rather than snow layers (yet).

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »
We've had snow flurries all day today.

The the sun comes out for a while, melts the snow, so it's not getting a chance to lay too much.

As I write, large snowflakes have started falling again.  YIKES!!!  :'(

Laurie.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:45 AM »
Temperature dropped to -5°C overnight.  :o

No more snow though.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 08:32:44 AM »
Cooooool!
I can see ice, but I can also see green gardens and quite a lot of blue sky with those  grey clouds on the horizon:D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »
Minus 4c in back garden last night. Which is the 6th minus we have had during this November so far.

In the whole of November last year, there were no minus temperatures here.

Malcolm

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
Minus -3c last night and we have a covering this morning.
A lot of it has melted now but still cold only just above freezing, expecting more over the weekend and into next week. :(
Paul.

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 08:08:50 AM »
Overnight temperature of -10°C   :o  :o

About 4 inches of snowfall yesterday.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
Light covering of snow which remained all day,and a little more overnight. Gently falling snow as I write (now getting heavier) and Ive just thrown out another helping of breadcrumbs, broken biscuits and porridge oats for the birds ::)

-10 Laurie. Gosh :o
Pity our poor little plants
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:48:14 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 09:51:33 AM »
Yes George, these adverse weather conditions affect the birds as well, making it harder for them to find food.

Great that you are helping them along with your feeding  :)

We keep our feeders stocked up throughout the year, with wild bird seed and nuts.

Don't forget to keep your birdbaths ice-free as best you can too.

Plants certainly are suffering.  The heavy snowfall is flattening them.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 12:02:58 PM »
We've just heard on the TV that its the coldest November on record.
Snow has now stopped leaving about 2in covering (remainder of crumbs underneath somewhere).
My wife was out in the car and managed to reach her first venue had to abandon a second part - returned home safely. Guage is showing Minus 5 in car.

Ive put more food out on a dexion sheet which I have for staging in the greenhouse. I can lift it if it snows again.

I see a Thrush and a Blackbird eating the berries of my orange Pyracantha. The blackbird usually leaves that treat until Christmas day.
Another unusual thing. I see lots of Willy-Wagtails in the horde of birds flitting about all around the house.
I put some food on my office windowsill and Ive had a close encounter with Starlings and other little birds.

The birds appear to be searching for spiders (???) under the eaves of the garage and at the back of trellis on the garage wall.
Life goes on!

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
no snow yet  ;D but it is - 4/5 at night according to the weather man and it certaintly feels like it in the morning

Offline Palustris

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
WE had about half an inch of snow on Thursday. Not much I know, but since then the cold has been a little extreme. The CH boiler which is an outside one came on at 5.30 am this morning. This means that the water in it was in danger of freezing. The temperature at which this occurs is about -10 c. -12c recorded in Shrewsbury, not far away and -18 not that far to the West of us in Wales.  Forecast for -12c  tonight and that is in the slightly warmer town centres. Not much chance of doing any gardening tomorrow then!
We are going to brave the untreated lane and go shopping tomorrow afternoon. We have everything we need to last about 6 weeks except for eggs. Snow is forecast here for Tuesday and Wednesday, our usually shopping day.

NightHawk

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
Apart from Scotland that is getting hit the worst in the UK, we are getting it bad too.

With more heavy snow overnight here, laying to a depth of 5 to 6 inches, there's still even more to come for the rest of this week at least.

Our concerns now are for our forthcoming house move next week to Hampshire.  The actual date for the exchange of contracts has still to be confirmed, so we're just hoping the removal company will be able to take to the roads here.  Most of the roads around the northeast, where we are, are passable with care.  The further south you get (at least at the moment) the roads are much clearer.

After all we've been through to get this far we now get nature turning against us.  What next!!!  >:(  :(  :'(

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »
We moved to the Welsh coast in January 1963. Remember that Winter? There was ice floating in the sea in Cardigan Bay and it stayed there until April.

NightHawk

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
That was definitely a bad one Eric.

Kathy was living in Blandford Forum at that time so she knows it only too well.

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »
We did have a sprinkle of snow on Saturday, nothing to worry about, Just very cold and breezy down here, roads are clear and have been salted.
I was in New Milton today on a job, and have another there tomorrow.

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »

Started snowiing here last night at 10-30 pm.

Woke up to 3 to 4 inches on the ground, managed to get to my 3 jobs which were booked this morning.
Rushed back had a sandwich and then we both walked out over the common at the back of us here, and also went to the lakes nearby.

Pictures to follow

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 10:06:06 PM »

So as not to hijack this thead, started a new one here http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1546.0.html

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
snow today a good 1 - 2  ;D inches melting already atleast the temp is above freezing

NightHawk

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
Temperature got down to -12°C during the night.

Has only risen to -9°C at the time of writing.

Has not snowed since yesterday morning but roads and paths are still covered.  Needs to warm up a lot more for a thaw to start though.

Laurie.

NightHawk

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »
Don't want to tempt fate too much here but it hasn't snowed for two days now (as predicted by the weather forecast funnily enough), and the temperature has risen to 0°C today.

We're keeping an eye on the forecast for the next few days and hope that rail services get back to normal for our house move next week.

Fingers crossed.

Laurie.