Author Topic: Prizegiving of Ferndown in Bloom  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Prizegiving of Ferndown in Bloom
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »
We have just got back from the prizegiving for the Ferndown in Bloom.

Lyn's front garden won Best front garden and Best garden overall, we had no idea what the value of prizes would be.
She came away with £200 of Haskins (The local Garden centre) tokens  ;D and an outside display of plants in a large pot.
We were astonished it was such a valuable prize.

The back garden (mine) couldn't be entered as not viewable from a public place. :'(

Earlier today we were advised, the garden will be featured along with another 36 gardens. In a book entitled "Gardens Of Dorset" to be published in early spring 2009. The book will be £25  ::)

Malcolm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:54:51 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Prizegiving of Ferndown in Bloom
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
congratulations that is a well deserved award after i saw your garden on tv you deserve it, sorry about your part of the garden malcolm maybe they should have awards for secreat gardens behind walls  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »
Congratulations Lyn and Malcolm. Thoroughly deserved in my opinion.
Your front garden would take some beating!

RE:
Haskins (The local Garden centre) tokens 
Is that (dare I ask) the Garden Centre at the centre of the posters episode?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:43:51 PM by ideasguy »

Offline grumble

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »
Congratulations Lyn, I'm not surprised that the garden received an award. Well deserved.

Ian

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:58:35 PM »

Thanks to you all.

Is that (dare I ask) the Garden Centre at the centre of the posters episode

Err, Yes George.
They were sponsors, not judges.  ;)

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »
Congratulations Lyn and Malcolm.

A well deserved award.  ;D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:36:58 PM »
RE:
They were sponsors, not judges
:D
Not that that would have made any difference, of course!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
Just seen this, Very many congratulations, Lyn. How nice  to have all your hard work and skill recognised and rewarded. :)

Eric H

Offline 3fren

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 11:42:13 AM »
HI guys,

We dont have news from your part of the world.
Is it too much to ask for some photos ?
We are land scarce and no competition for gardens,
and always salivating for the English gardens  ;D

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »
Hi Jessie, There is a section Ideas Genie Community - Ideas for Gardens/Our Gardens/ My Garden/........  where members put up pictures of their gardens and plants. I don't know whether you have had a look in there?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »
And of course, theres our supreme efforts on this website:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/

No shortage of photos Jessie :D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »

Thank you Eric H and Kathy and Laurie

3fren if you want to see pictures of our garden, check out our garden website www.lynandmalc.co.uk

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
Well it is now 2010, and we have just read in todays local Stour and Avon magazine, that it looks like we will be banned from entering the main category of best front garden, seen from a public place.

This was on the Spring gardening page

Here is a little of the text that was written by the Ferndown in Bloom Commitee (nothing to do with the magazine publishers)

"Last years category winners included the overall winner of the best front garden category Lyn Ovens of Ringwood Road"

The text then gave names of other category winners, such as Best Business or Retail, Best Patio,balcony or terrace etc.

The magazine text continued

"The commitee has decided that winners from last year will be exempt from entering the main categories this season.
  We believe that this will be fairer and encourage more entrants who may be discouraged if they feel that the same people win year in year out"

This is after Lyn and the other category winners, in the New Ferndown in Bloom Competition, started last year, came first, just the once.

We will wait till sometime in April to see the full details as to how the competition is to work.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:11:29 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
Well that's really sad Malcolm.

I have to say that I do not agree with the committee's decision to ban previous winners.

Surely, to allow them to participate would act as an added incentive for others to try harder to beat them.  There's nothing wrong with healthy competition, and this decision takes that away from the event and makes a mockery of it.

As you say Malcolm, we'll wait to hear what unfolds in April, and maybe hope that the committee gets influenced to change this ridiculous decision.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
Ive never heard of anything so ridiculous.
How can you have a Best front Garden competition when some gardens are not allowed to enter?
After 10 years or so any old garden would win, if previous winners are not allowed to enter.
I don't think they have thought this through.

People who don't win should take note of what previous winners have done and learn.
I'm sure you and Lyn would be more than helpful to anyone seeking advice.

If the same garden should happen to win a second time, then so be it. Thats competition.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »

Thank you for your support.

There is a bit more to this.

Three weeks ago the Ferndown in bloom committee had a meeting, to which the public were invited.
Lyn attended, she was the only member of the public there. ;D

The committee asked Lyn if she would like to join the committee.
Well we had heard some time ago that they had been thinking of not allowing a previous winner to enter this year. So the alarm bells started to ring with Lyn, and myself when she told me. That if she joined the committee she probably wouldn't be able to enter the competition anyway.
She was told it wouldn't stop her from entering, she declined anyway. But was invited to the next meeting as a sort of advisor.

Lyn attended the next meeting and put forward several suggestions, including that the prize money should be advertised, which it wasn't last year. Wouldn't you think that if people knew the first prize was £100 in tokens to spend at the garden centre that sponsors the competition, more people would enter ?. (Second and third prizes were allocated also.)

Lyn came away from the meeting with some assurance that this year she would be able to enter, This was obviously turned round in the week or so since that meeting.

The "old" Ferndown in bloom run by a different committee, tried to do a similar thing with us after we had won twice. One Saturday morning while shopping in Ferndown, we met one of the committee, who greeted us with the words "I have good news for you, this year, any garden that opens their  garden to the public will have to go into a separate category in the competition"

Why gardens that open should be singled out, not to be in the main competition is very unfair, we all work hard to achieve a nice garden for the public to visit. The fact that there would only then be three gardens in this new category, seemed stupid, so we pulled out from the competition.

Approximately three years later the competition folded, due to lack of entrants. About another three years later on the "New" Ferndown in bloom

Malcolm
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:01:00 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
All very much in a state of flux.

I think it is admirable that you HAVE an "in bloom" competion for your region.
The one in my home town ended quite a few years ago.

With that in mind, heres my tuppence worth.

Give them your full support, and make them very aware of your views. To make it work, everyone has to pull in the same direction!
I'm sure they will listen to the voice of experienced gardeners and amend the rules to make it a roaring success.

With effort and publicity you (as a group) will undoubtedly encourage locals to take up gardening, create wonderful gardens and strive for the coveted prizes.