Author Topic: May?  (Read 14311 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: May?
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
Did I forget to say? Yes, we've got high winds as well.

RE: dwarf french beans and dwarf climbing french beans (further back in this thread):
I have put them outside to harden off during the day, do I need to put them in the g/house at night?
Something to be learned here.
Did you leave them outside? How are they doing?

RE:
Bishop of Llandaff planted in front of a dark hedge so it just looked a bit dark for me.
I bet they would look great in front a yellow leaf plant like my Euonymous
Yes, thats a good combination, Kathy. Yellow/gold would be a very nice backdrop.
Perhaps our members can suggest other plants with such foliage to give us more options.

NightHawk

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 09:58:43 AM »
RE: dwarf french beans and dwarf climbing french beans (further back in this thread):
Did you leave them outside? How are they doing?
Kathy left them outside in a cold-frame to harden off for a week (they didn't go back into the greenhouse), then she planted them out in a sheltered spot against a wall.
They seem to be doing okay at the moment.

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 10:45:57 AM »
We had hail yesterday. Always seem to get torrential downpours (raining arrows and spears as the French say, stair rods to you and me!) when the Paeonies are open. The strength of the rain destroys the flowers. Certainly the hail did.
At least the soil is warm so everything is growing, including the weeds, but hey, better than drought.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
Yes, I suppose it is better than drought, Eric.
The good thing is, anything you transplant has a good chance of establishing, including that large Camellia I moved recently, well out of season.

I have divisions of my fathers favourite plant in a number of locations in the garden - Paeonia officinalis 'Rubra Plena' and its now in flower 
It has a huge and beautiful flower as you know. When the rain is prolonged it hangs its head with the weight. When its stormy it gets flattened unless it is well staked.
We are having both those conditions!

Its brighter here today. Fingers crossed!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »

It looks like it poured with rain in Belfast at 6.00pm today, did you get it as well ?

A much better day here today, we even sat out for dinner this evening on the patio.

All the tender plants are going ouside now, Brugmansias, colocasias, Hibiscus sinensis, Lemon, Ricinus that were grown from seed, Dahlias in pots, tender salvias in pots includind Hot Lips.

So busy in garden again and suddenly 14 paid jobs came in in 2 days this week.

Malcolm

Offline Palustris

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »
Rained on and off all day, indeed it is drizzling now. Not warm either. Spent the day pricking out Albuca humilis seedlings, no need for them, but it was something to do.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 10:26:25 PM »
Yes Malcolm. Downpour again as I began my walk to the bus. Not as bad as yesterday, mercifully.
But, then it happened wehen I got home. The heavens opened at my usual time to go to the garden, the water was lying 1in deep on the patio. Had to dive into the garage, get wellys on, and spend the evening in the greenhouse.
When it eventually ceased I took a walk around the garden to check for dandylions. Lawns are completely waterlogged, with a lot of surface water and pools here and there. :'(

I have 5 Ricinus from seed as well, Malcolm. They are growing nicely, but not ready for the great outdoors yet. Little do they know what its like out there!
Chiltern had sold out of R. ?New Zealand Purple? (the one you recommended earlier) when I got round to ordering seed, so I settled for R. 'Carmencita Pink'
Ive grown that one before and it did very well.

Its not all gloom. My Salvia Hot Lips survived the winter outdoors  :)
Its a good strong plant. Must try for some cuttings this year. Did you take cuttings and overwinter yours?

Its chilly here as well Eric. Very disheartening.

Roll on summer   :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:30:18 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »
Woke up to Sunshine. Raining now!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »
I basked in sun on my walks this morning. Looking out from my office, still sunny.
Need a couple of days like this to allow the garden to drain!

NightHawk

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »
Had quite a heavy downpour overnight - 5mm of rainfall.

Just getting scattered showers here at the moment.

The strong winds have dropped so at least that's a step in the right direction.

When's the darn good weather going to start.  :(

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 05:32:04 PM »
Downpour again
Just had confirmation, George  :). Tom our youngest has just spent the week playing his bassoon and contra-bassoon with the Ulster Symphony Orchestra. Just received email "Ulster fun but LOTS of rain"

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »
He sure picked a bad week to visit, Eric, but I'm reaally pleased to read he's having fun. What a change it is in this decade!

Thats a talented lad you have there, Eric.
Ive been to see the Ulster Orchestra quite a number of times. Is that the same as the Ulster Symphony Orchestra?
Heres their website:
http://www.ulster-orchestra.org.uk/
Tonight they are in the Waterfront hall. Thats a relatively new building. Fantastic acoustics. Ive been to orchestral concerts and ballets there, but its a few years ago now.
They are in the Ulster Hall tomorrow evening. Thats an old, lovely building, built when architects were architects- you'd love it Eric!
Is he playing those concerts?

P.S.
Guess what?
Today it was dry and warm and we saw the sun again for a few hours. I'm just in from the garden after cutting the lawns   :) :)
Three weeks of growing. I can tell you, the rain sure has made it hop out of the ground! What a relief to get it cut and looking good again.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:43:36 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 06:26:32 AM »
I am glad your weather is picking up George, We really seem to have missed the worst of it. Tom would be tickled to be called a talented "lad"  being almost 47 and a grandfather to boot  :). Yes, it is the Ulster Symphony Orchestra. Earlier on in the week they played a concert in Dublin. Now it has come up, I might as well give him a plug, here is his bio on his website  ::) http://www.tomhardybassoon.com/biography.php

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 10:41:57 PM »
He IS a talented lad! Tonight they are playing Rachmaninov!
As for age - isn't everything relative  :)

Ive just visited his web site and played the Notturno for Bassoon. In fact I'm playing it again as I write.
Very nice indeed!

Its a fascinating web site, and I'll poke around some more.
(Now I'm playing Reflections - hey its very nice!)

Now on to Summer Walk. Now that is a lovely piece of music!

Now on to Winter Lake - dreamy and mellow.

Are they his own compositions?

Thanks for the link Eric! I wish I could have made that concert tonight.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Yes George, says proud dad, they are his own compositions. The Nocturne has been used for the Grade 8 music exams for the bassoon.

Eric H
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:01:18 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:06 PM »
Gosh!
You have every reason to be proud

I have to say, Ive really taken to Summer Walk. Its a lovely tune, but soooo short.
Ive played it a number of times and it just gets nicer each time.
Is it longer on a CD recording?
What are the instruments in that arrangement?

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »
28 degrees here today and very dry now. I have spent a lot of the evening carrying water from our tank where we collect our bathwater and watering the vegetables and three tree peonies we planted recently. They really soaked it up.

Ive really taken to Summer Walk. Its a lovely tune, but soooo short.
Ive played it a number of times and it just gets nicer each time........What are the instruments in that arrangement?

We had Tom and family down today including baby Zac. I told him that I had introduced you to his website, George. You asked about the instruments in that Summer Walk. He said it was 15 piece orchestra all done on his keyboard and synthesiser. He played each part in turn on his keyboard and amalgamated them. That is probably why it is so short  :)

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:33 PM »
That was a nice day in every way, Eric, and perfect for a Summer Walk  :)
A 15 piece orchestra! I'm sure that took a long time to produce. Reminds me of a cloned photo I once saw  ;)

Weather yesterday? Very sunny and warm - at last. Got a lot done in the garden and guess what -  a little bit of sunburn  ;D

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »
may for us sun then rain then sun then rain, need i go on, just got outside the other day found the tools for my job pick axe, shovel, 5 mins into job and it chucked it down,  ::) :( i give up, but on a good note the lad finish school for summer holidays this week, a whole 12 weeks off school, so i may have a bit of help around the place  ;) i might have to bribe him already told him that friday we are helping johnny (who is going out with katie the daughter), to do his concrete stable floor

NightHawk

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »
Weather is so strange everywhere at the moment Phil.

After several days of cloud and wind here, yesterday was just like a beautiful 'summer's day'.  Blue skies, sunshine, and just a slight hint of a breeze to make it more comfortable for gardening.  Had a good gardening day because of it.
In the evening it rained though, but not much.

Today, although cloudy with intervals of sunshine, that darn strong wind is back again.  :(

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
on a good note the lad finish school for summer holidays this week, a whole 12 weeks off school, so i may have a bit of help around the place 
I wish you luck Phil. We have three (now middle aged) sons who we could never get round to helping in the garden but they would spend hours helping in their girlfriends' parents' gardens  ;) ::) >:( . I wonder why  ???

Eric H

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
on a good note the lad finish school for summer holidays this week, a whole 12 weeks off school, so i may have a bit of help around the place 
I wish you luck Phil. We have three (now middle aged) sons who we could never get round to helping in the garden but they would spend hours helping in their girlfriends' parents' gardens  ;) ::) >:( . I wonder why  ???

Eric H
The trick is to live out in the middle of nowhere  ;D, then if he wants a lift to a mates house he helps first then i will take him to his mates, a fair compromise i think  ;)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »
Well. I managed to do without my thermals for one day, back on now though and considering lighting the fire.

Offline peter1925

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »
This past few days weve had high winds, driving rain and the ground covered with fallen leaves.
November? Nope, pinch yourself. Its almost mid-May.
As I write I was just about to go into the garden and was forced inside with a sudden deluge.
Ah well, back to the computer and the development of that new edition of Bank Genie  ::)

At last we have beautiful summer weather. Rhododendrons are blooming like never before, they loved the rain
and now is the time to show off. This year I forgot to seed Godetias earlier but I hope they will sprout anyway,
there is still time.

George keep up the good work

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »
Hello Peter
Its very nice to hear from you.

By way of introduction (or a reminder in some cases) to our members, heres a link to your Our Garden of Dreams website.
http://www.scn.org/earth/garden/

I hope you and Carol are well and enjoying your fantastic garden.
Rhododendrons have gone way up in my ratings this year as well. I had a fantastic show here in dull and wet Ireland. Its good to see some good has come out of all that rain last year, and this awful May!

Godetias! Yes, do you remember you gave me a special packet when I visited your garden way back in 2003?
They grew very well that summer and I had a very nice show. Unfortunately they didn't self seed.
By sheer conincidence, I bought a packet in a B&Q store and have them growing again this year. Hope you get a few volunteers in your garden! I'd be inclined to sprinkle a packet around even if it is a bit late in the season. In your hot summers they will probably catch up!

Your web site is looking real good. I visited a few minutes ago, and will return for a more in depth "catchup" review