Author Topic: Survey- the plight of the native bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta)  (Read 13240 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Occasionally the bluebells in our garden are white. I have just unearthed a photo I took 3 years ago.

Eric H

NightHawk

I've managed to find one final clump of bluebells in our rear garden that Kathy hasn't as yet dug up and thrown away.

Looking at the link George gave for IDing them has left me undecided as to which variety these are.

I have taken two photos showing the hanging down aspect and the inside.

There is no discernable scent.

We're pretty certain it's not the native variety, but can anyone else give an opinion on whether it's Spanish or a Hybrid?

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

I am, sure you are right that this is not the native bluebell. I have looked at the stamens of ours and they are different. The outer ones are attached to the petal for much of the petals length and as you say they are sweetly scented.

The website says "Separating the hybrid bluebell from the Spanish bluebell can be very difficult, even for experts. If you are unsure, have a look around you, if there are native plants nearby it's most probably the hybrid plant." I am not even an expert so after that I don't think I will even hazard a guess.

Eric H

NightHawk

Thanks for that Eric.

At least we can take comfort in the knowledge that even experts have difficulty with the ID, so we don't feel too bad about it.  :D

Plant ID can be an absolute minefield at times.  Ho-hum.  ::)

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
have been driving past this clump of bluebells that is in a hedge row down our lane, thinking must take a picture, now i only had my phone on me so the pic is not best quality and the flowers are starting to go over now, but here we have a clump of bluebells in a southern ireland hedge row

variety unknown, how they got there unknown

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Its nice to see them in hedgerows like that Phil. Thats the memories I have of early days at primary school, walking up the country lane where I lived until I was about 19.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
bluebells do they go to seed, what do you do when you have the seed, sow it straight away or leave it till later on in the year, anyone know, reason being would like a small clump or 2 but i dont want to dig any up from the lane so i thought wait till they go to seed and collect the seed heads

Offline Eric Hardy

They certainly go to seed in our garden, Phil, and spread very easily. I don't know when to collect the seed in the wild but I have found this web site http://www.scotiaseeds.co.uk/BluebellHyacinthoidesnonscripta.htm

Eric H