Author Topic: Disaster (and embarrassment)  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Palustris

Disaster (and embarrassment)
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
Oh dear. I promised to send Eric H. some Arisaema ciliatum etc, so yesterday I went to the Shed and started emptying the pots. I keep a whole series of them in pots as stock plants. There are lots in the garden, but with our disappearing labels I have no idea where they are (or with some even WHAT they are!). Anyway, as I emptied the pots I was horrified to find that in almost every case the corms had rotted. And believe me the smell of rotten Arisamea corms is something you do not want to smell. Aa. ciliatum. flavum.flavum minor, triphyllum, fargesii, torulosum and some unnamed seedlings all gone!. I have kept these corms over winter in dry compost for years without this happening. The only thing I can think of is that either the compost got wet from condensation dripping in to them, or the extreme cold has somehow got to them. My own fault in that I normally store them dried off, in the Summer House which is insulated and frost free.
I did manage to find a fair number of baby corms to send, but I did want to send flowering size ones.
Rude words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Disaster (and embarrassment)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »
As I said in my private note, Please don't feel bad about it as far as I am concerned, Eric. That was a bit of bad luck!  From your own point of view, however, it is really rotten (sorry, pun not intended) for you to lose your flowering size corms and I feel for you  :(
I will look forward to anything that arrives. It is very kind of you to take the trouble.
Thanks
Eric H

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: Disaster (and embarrassment)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »

We lost quite a few of the Gladiolus callianthus Murielae which were overwintering in their pots undercover.
On turning them out for repotting, a good half of them were rotten. And like yours, it was mostly the big ones.
So probably will only get leaves this year.

Malcolm