Author Topic: Ducks in the Garden  (Read 2453 times)

Offline peter1925

Ducks in the Garden
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:33 PM »
Wonderful news. at last after several years hoping that our friendly ducks would make a nest in our backyard, they
decided this year that this is the best place on earth and right now mother duck is sitting on the eggs. It is
right at the edge of the pond hidden in the bushes. We hope for the best and in about 4 weks we should see
a few ducklings in the pond.   ???

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Ducks in the Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:00:55 AM »
That really is good news Peter. Ive never heard of anyone having wild ducks nest in their garden before. That will be really nice to see them hatch and take to your pond. I'm sure you will have the camera readily to hand!

Its great to have you visiting again, Peter, and I hope you and Carol are well. If you have time, please bring us up to date with your Garden of Dreams.

Offline peter1925

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:34:25 AM »
Our mother duck is doing a great job. First few days she and daddy duck came to the door to get their breakfast but this morning nobody came, at night it was freezing and she was probably thinking she should try to keep the eggs worm. The night before we had snow and to keep worm must be difficult. It got even colder now with no clouds in the sky.

We have a great view from the kitchen window. Almost like being in the zoo, except much better. A little rabbit eating grass in the other corner, crows flying and squirrel looking for the hidden treasure. Later in the day it wormed up and daddy duck came for a visit. Mother duck came from the nest looking for a handout. It was wonderful to see mama duck swim over the pond and go back after her lunch...

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:58:50 AM »

Lets hope the weather warms up before the babies hatch Peter. Sounds like you live in a beautifull place.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »
Thats a lovely story how the wild ducks trust humans so much when breeding. They seem to know when they are in a "reserve", dont they!
Still having snow, Peter! Thats hard to deal with in April. What temperature does it rise to during the day? Hopefully that snow disappears quickly! Keep warm, you and Carol  :)

Offline peter1925

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
Sad news, this morning we found broken egg shells about 5 feet from the nest and empty nest.
It is hard to understand how the shells got that far away? What a disappointment for them and us,
after two weeks mama Duck sitting on the eggs in snow and rain a sad ending.

Ducks returned and are now swimming in the pond.

George, there was very little snow but it rained most of the time and temperatures often just above freezing.
There was one day when we were hoping Spring is coming after all.  :-[

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
What a disappointment indeed Peter. Life is tough for birds in the wild, thats for sure.
I wonder what happened to those eggs  :-\ Jackdaws are notorious for stealing the eggs from the nets of smaller birds. 

A quick surf, and heres someone who blames crows:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Animals-705/duck-eggs-6.htm

Any ideas anyone?

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
Magpies will also take other birds' eggs.

Hard to be definitive unless you see it happen.

Laurie.