Author Topic: Google maps and Google Earth  (Read 4995 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Google maps and Google Earth
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »
Have you played with this stuff recently?

This software is truly incredible  ;)

Google maps
The street level aspect, when you nip down the satellite beam to a street tour, is just breathtaking.
I just went to Belfast, and drove up the road to my sons house and was able to look right into his driveway. Its incredible.
Hardly any work done this week in my day job.
Here I am working away, and I get yet another call - Come and see this garden George!
The van with its wide angle camera camera on a pole had obviously picked a good time of year - gardens were in bloom!

Now, the applications.
This is where it gets REALLY exciting.
Ive been taking photos of Lady Dixon Park in Belfast.
Now I have a whole set of Aerial shots at different altitudes.
Perfect for using in FG and IG programs, with the Lassoo feature.
I'll develop that lassoo feature in GA005 (did anybody finish the challenge?) so you can click on a region of the aerial map, and you can link it to a Garden Division and a Garden Area.

Ive just sent one of our members an email with a link to a zoom in on his postcode
Talk about snooping!
When you zoom in, you simply click Link or Send
Clicking Send
You have to enter both yours and the recipient email.
If you don't like saying to Mr Google "Heres a couple of email addresses for you" (I don't) just copy the text Google has put into the message body and send it in one of your own emails
This method gives you more detail to copy (e.g. address)

Easier method:
If you click Send, the URL is sitting ready for you to paste into this forum.

Google Earth
You have to download the Google Earth. (Its free)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:16:07 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Google maps and Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »
I've had Google Earth installed on my PC for a while now George.

As you say, it is fascinating to look around your area from above.

When I first installed it last year, the maps were about 5 years out of date.  I knew that from the layout of our gardens and our neighbours' gardens.

Looking at the same area now, I would say the maps are slightly more up-to-date - approx. last summer.

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »

I will post some applications we have used it for tonight.

Malcolm

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:49:40 AM »
And here is a view I sent to George by email last night  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
Yes Eric, I didn't want to identify the member in case it was "sensitive".
I got your garden wrong first guess. The one I zoomed in on was his next door neighbour on the corner. Not far way!
You've got a big garden to look after there!

I had a look for Dalcross Castle Tom. Located Dalcross region but haven't zoomed in quite into the Dalcross Castle estate yet.

Looking forward to other postings here. (and Malcolms applications later)
e.g. If there a particular garden you have visited and have photos.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »
Arley Hall
One of the most beautiful gardens Ive visited (July 08):
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=arley+hall&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.490735,34.892578&ie=UTF8&ll=53.323312,-2.490817&spn=0.004793,0.008519&t=h&z=17

RHS Wisley
I visited in May 08
Wisley, Woking, Surrey, UK
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wisley&sll=53.323299,-2.493896&sspn=0.009587,0.017037&ie=UTF8&ll=51.313112,-0.473077&spn=0.010032,0.017037&t=h&z=16
After clicking - Initial view is correct. It jumps up a mile or so. You can then Pan down a bit after page stays put.
This sat. picture is a few years out of date. The new Glass house is not even built.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wisley&sll=53.323299,-2.493896&sspn=0.009587,0.017037&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=51.312341,-0.475309&spn=0.004855,0.008519&z=17&iwloc=addr

I visited this one in August 2004 (? check year later)
Coton Manor Gardens
Coton, Northampton, Daventry, NN6
01604 740219
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=coton+manor+northampton&sll=51.416766,-0.447006&sspn=0.310037,0.545197&ie=UTF8&ll=52.338446,-1.011579&spn=0.001187,0.00213&t=h&z=19
Thorougly recommended
Anyone been there?

I visited in May 08
RHS Garden Hyde Hall
Westerns Approach
Rettendon, Chelmsford, CM3 8AT
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hyde+hall+garden&sll=51.787382,0.135956&sspn=0.615034,1.090393&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=51.665608,0.573049&spn=0.019272,0.034075&z=15
Havent quite got the hang of this yet.
When you click the link, the page opens up at the region I intended, than moves up.
Pan the map so the A marker goes to top centre of screen.
Hyde Hall is lower left of screen, in Buckhatch lane.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hyde+hall+garden&sll=51.787382,0.135956&sspn=0.615034,1.090393&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=51.665768,0.576096&spn=0.019272,0.034075&z=15&iwloc=A

Ive hundreds of photos of each of these gardens, plus, a man with a nice camera I met at Coton sent me a CD with the photos he took.
Still trying to find time to do a WPG project for each

Kew Gardens
Kew Green
Richmond, Richmond-upon-Thames, TW9
020 8940 1171
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kew+gardens&sll=51.665868,0.576396&sspn=0.002409,0.004259&ie=UTF8&ll=51.482312,-0.290033&spn=0.004837,0.008519&t=h&z=17
I dont have any photos of Kew
I hope to visit this summer
Photos anyone?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:08:29 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
We have used Google Earth for the following for our holidays in Spain and Portugal.

1 Booking a property for a holiday, you can see what the area is like before you book.

2 We have found many good bird watching areas by looking on GE, for instance, look for a road crossing a river, is there anywhere to park nearby, has the river edges got reeds or trees where birds may be. Having identified a place, note down the coordinates of latitude and longitude, and enter them into a Tom Tom car gps, and use it to take you to that place.

3 We have also been able to plan walks from looking at an area on GE. On the high resolution pictures we can see track/paths, and again take lat and long coordinates at every change in direction, and enter them into a hand held gps. Run the gps when you are on holiday and it takes you on the walk.

4 Great for looking at the roads to get out of a big airport, we have flown into Madrid several times, the first could have been a bit hair raising, as a new terminal had been built, talk about spaghetti junction, glad we had looked on GE and also used the Tom Tom.

5 While on a walk, you can press a button as you walk, on the hand held gps, which logs lat and long. When you get home you can feed those lat long positions into GE and they will show up on the GE image, great to see where you walked.

6 We mark on GE where we have seen particular birds, and the date. These points are saved as a .KMZ file, and can be shared with other birders who have GE, it also reminds us where we have seen the birds from one year to next.

7 I sometimes use GE for my work. The other day I had to go to a mobile home park. I was able find where the car park on the site was, amongst the tangle of roads in the park. I have also been able to find the nearest car park to a job in towns.

The combination of both GE and GPS is invaluable.

An example of the out of the way places we seek for a holiday. The property is in the centre of the picture, the owners above. This one in Extremadura Spain.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.207467,-6.172176&spn=0.002847,0.003905&t=h&z=18

The area and the roof amongst the trees  ;D

The Property

Hope that was not too boring.

Malcolm  (Mr Gadget)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:01:12 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
Good applications there Gadg!

Is that Lyn basking in the sunshine in that piccy?

Is your Tom Tom in this list:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1&TT=16a8b1fe-baba37bd-16a8b185-baba37bd-00000002-l0p6kr8jual6k90rds0l7k7tm0

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »

George said
Is that Lyn basking in the sunshine in that piccy?

Yes it is, basking while I was on a walk.

Ours is the original TomTom One version 1, bought back in the days when you had to pay £220 for it.

But it did come with an SD card slot, the card holds the map and all waypoints, POIs and add ons like voices and speed camera. Can easily be copied for backup onto another card or computer. And what is handy, is that you could have a card dedicated to each country.
So if we were off to Spain for instance, all the waymarks etc we had entered on previous trips, would be on a dedicated card.

I use the Tom Tom for work as well, mostly for the speed cameras. A trip into Bournemouth and back, a journey from here of only 6 miles, can mean I pass through up to 10 cameras. Three mph over the limit and you can be caught. We have one just 20 yards away from our front gate.

I am am not conversant with the newer models. so can't give any advice.

I was not long ago asked to set up a MIO gps for someone who is not technically minded, it was awfull, the operation of it just wasn't logical.
I advised against it, and he took it back to the shop, he doesn't have a gps to this day.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:08:12 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
I have a tom tom xl ireland and britain, bought it last year and used it when we went to uk at easter time, when we lived in the uk i used to travel down a certain dual carriage way all the time, now they have put in a roundabout and jane  (as i call the tom tom) was mooiing as we came across speed cameras in this particular place she mooed about 6 times in half a mile, thanks god i live over here and wont get any speeding tickets  ;D  ;)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »
I know this thread is a year old but I have just been introduced to Google Street View. It is fascinating but a little bit frightening like being spied on. I discovered that they have even been round our Common and down our rough track which is not even a public road. What is strange is they must have come on two separate occasions because they came round the common on a beautiful sunny day and the track down to our house is all overcast.
I expect you will think it a bit of a waste of time but I got hooked and used "print screen" and Adobe Elements to produce a series of fourteen shots from about 1/2 a mile away until you reach our house. Played as a slide show you get an uncanny feeling of driving home. I won't bore you with all of them but I will post the last few to give you the idea.

West side of the cricket pitch

North side of the cricket pitch

Turning into the home straight

The home straight

Us (The hedge looks neater now  :))

Our little car outside our gate!

What to you think of Google Big Brother?  ::)

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
Well Eric, I have to say that Google Earth has been invaluable in our search for houses in Norfolk/Suffolk areas.

We've viewed various properties online, then gone to Google Earth to look at the actual location.  This has proved extremely useful and has enabled us to eliminate certain properties from our 'wish list' as unsuitable for different reasons, that were not stated on the property web site/s.
For example, one property that sounded ideal actually backed onto a VERY busy main road.  Another one had a main road going past the front with an enormous lay-by and a filling station next to it.

We wouldn't be without this bit of technology for our current situation.

You have already mentioned the street view feature of it (and shown us some great examples here), and this is also very useful.  Some people have said it's like snooping on everyone, but it only gives you front house views in still images, nothing that you wouldn't see if you were to drive past it yourself.  You can't zoom in on people's houses in 'real time' so I don't think it presents an invasion of privacy issue.

Anyway, I'm all for this piece of technology which has been a life-saver for us.  :D

Laurie.