Author Topic: The Native plants of Western Australia (published 1st April 08)  (Read 3623 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
It took untl the 1st April 08  ;)  :) - but I finally got to publish some of the many photos Col sent me - all taken on his "block" in Western Australia.
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/ColSmith/Nativeplants/

Like Col signed his CD - Enjoy   :)

NightHawk

Re: The Native plants of Western Australia (published 1st April 08)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »
Nice one George - we're guessing 'April Fool'.  8)

The other alternative (after 12 noon today of course) which works just as well, is a play on the Australian theme of them being 'down under, that the photos are emphasizing this by being deliberately placed upside down.

P.S.  Have you caught anyone out yet.  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
Phew! Glad you spotted that!
I was beginning to think that was a damp squib!

I sent the link to one of my ex-colleagues - she emailed back to say that some of the photos were upside down.
I emailed back to say "They are taken in Australia, silly"
"Oooooooo" came the reply

I sent the link to Col and I see he's logged in earlier (Aussiecol on the forum) , and sent me an email to say he will look at the photos later. I explained in my original email that they might be OK in " a couple of days".

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
It's just a pity more people weren't on the Forum this morning - it would have been fun to see the different responses.  :(

Also, it's amazing how some people can take photographs for face value, and believe they must be right, because of the old adage that 'photographs can't lie'.  But in this digital age they CAN indeed lie.

Being a graphic artist I have done this myself, altering images of people, adding things to landscapes, etc.  All done just for my own amusement.  Photographs that I present for other people to view and comment on are 'real' and unaltered (apart from any colour, brightness, or sharpening enhancements for example.)

I am now purely digital in the photographic work I do.  This ties in nicely with my passion for computers, and the two mediums can marry up to create a truely wonderful result, which can be shared with other people more easily.

There is a third passion I nearly forgot to mention - gardening  :o  I can now get some beautiful close-up images to capture our most precious plants for eternity.  I have shown some of our plants already on this forum, and hope to get a lot more as they begin to blossom and flourish.

Anyway, I'll leave my photographic ramblings to another time and in another Topic, because once I get started I can't stop  :D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:41:19 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:05:46 PM »
Oh yes, photos can most certainly lie, depending on the skills of the manipulator.

We are very fortunate. Plants are fantastic subjects for photography. I look forward to your photos this season Kathy and Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »
I did some work last night, trying to turn the earth right way up so we could see those plants as they should be in the Northern Hemisphere. I'd better get a new upload done tonight!

I got absorbed in my research into Col's plants. The Flora of Western Australia is very well documented on the web.

Heres a very authoritive one:
http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/

I recall Col saying he had some help from Calm when studying the plants growing on his 3 acre block. Its quite amazing the number of species he has!

Today, Ive been keying the plants mentioned on the CD he sent into the Master Database, so I can link up his photos. I'm trying not to Google off - its difficult :)
The RHS button is great in IG Pro, as I can look up to see if there are suppliers for his plants in the UK. Many of them are Orchids, and absolutely beautiful flowers - be sure to revisit to see the updated web site.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:06:18 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:46:18 AM »
Web site is now "corrected".

Ive added many more of Cols photos. There are some beauties.

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »
Web site is now "corrected".

Well, I thought it was more fun standing on my head to view the original web site photos  ;D

Good job with the corrections though George.

There are indeed some beautiful plants here.  Col certainly has his job cut out tending all of these.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
Yes, I was getting used to "down under" :D but didnt want to dangle too long on that chandalier  ;D

I'm amazed that someone can walk around their "block" of 5 acres, and just discover such beautiful plants, without having to plant them! Arent they really cute? Theres more to come. I'm processing them alphabetically from a CD packed with photos, and about half way there. A "spare time" task.

I have my job cut out researching them! I need to get a Plant type for each one, and that has been a bit slow. Col has sent me a link:
http://www.lullfitz.com.au/cat/view/searchgenus
To quote Col:
This guy is a Guru on WA plants and a bloody nice bloke also.
Ive had a quick look, and it has useful info.

It would be great to get Col's review on each plant.

To avoid ambiguity , WA in Australia is Western Australia, WA in USA is washington state. My poor head!