Author Topic: My gardening assistant  (Read 3437 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
My gardening assistant
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:38:40 PM »
Meet James.
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/images/rimg0010.jpg

My (almost) 2 year-old grandson. He's a great help in the garden. He loves digging in soil, helping me pick dandelions from the lawn, and from a very early age he loves smelling flowers  8)

He liked this Hydrangea so much he pulled a bloom and presented iot to me , so I thought I'd take a little snap of weeguy with this plant which took his fancy.

It took a few attempts to get this lad to pose, but oblige he did  ;D
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/images/rimg0009james.jpg
I couldnt believe it when he stood still for all of 10 seconds for that snap!!

As you can see, the loss of one bloom want noticeable  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:42:27 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: My gardening assistant
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »
I think, but I can be wrong of course, I know the grandfather.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »
You could be right  ;)
Thats my orchard in the background. The apple tree on the immediate right of the Hydrangea is Lord Lambourne. I didnt notice how much it had grown at an angle to get away from the "big blue" plant until I looked at that photo.
Theres a lesson to be learned there!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:14:27 PM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:07:47 PM »
He's a great little fella!  Obviously, he takes after his Granddad.  Lovely Hydrangea as well - mine are all pink (alkaline soil here in Redditch!).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:18:06 PM »
He's great company in the garden Chrissie. I'll have to make the most of it while the going is good. Too many more interesting things for kids on the go nowadays.

I reckon I have slightly acidic soil, Rhodos, Azaleas and Magnolias grow well for me as well.
That particular Hydrangea was given to me by my sister. Her husband dug it up because it never flowered for them. Its in full sun in that spot (if we were ever to get full sun   :'() What a "summer" it has been.
Problem is, it was infested with bindweed. I have to work hard to keep it in check or it would smother that plant.

I also have pink Hydrangeas, so acidic soil doesnt make pink hydrangeas go blue.

Ive read that alkaline soil is "sweeter", so I think you would probably be able to have more success with the plants that dont do so well in my garden - my roses are very poor. Mind you, I should give them more attention.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:22:49 AM »
Cute little fellow  ..watch it ..kids grow too fast..enjoy them as much as you can.

I am longing for mine, but both girls doesn't want to settle down so soon. :(

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 09:38:56 PM »
James was 2 yesterday, Jessie. We had a birthday party at his home today- a lovely family get together.
He was in great form and we took lots of photos. I'll post one of the birthday boy later (I'm going to watch the footie on TV)

Dont rush those girls of yours! Enjoy feeling young Jessie. Grandchildren will come along soon enough!