Author Topic: Dahlias  (Read 4543 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Dahlias
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »
Its that time of the year when I ALWAYS wish I had more Dahlias. Other plants are on the wane, but the Dahlias are reaching their peak, and will continue right up to the sad day when we wake up to find there has been a heavy overnight frost.
The disappointment at that time is the fact that they are ALWAYS looking absolutely fabulous at that time of year.

In the UK, that has been arriving somewhat later (some years) so lets be a little grateful to global warming wetting.

My wife kept a good eye on the calendar to make sure we didnt miss an event that was advertised in our local newspaper - The Annual Show of the Northern Ireland Dahlia Society.
It was held in a village by name of Hillsborough, a mere 4 miles from my home.

So, heres an account of that event, in our familiar WPG style, of course:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/NIDS/

NightHawk

Re: Dahlias
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
Lovely web set there George and some great photos.  8)

As I was scanning through the list of Dahlias I was expecting to see one of our favourites, which we have in our front garden - Bishop of Llandaff.

No sign of one though.  :(

Do you know if that variety was displayed anywhere?

Laurie.

P.S.  I don't want to make you too 'green' with envy George, but our 'Bishop' is still blooming away merrily and is full of many more buds waiting to open.  It's proving to be a real beauty.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 04:28:27 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:23:28 PM »
Used to grow them in our previous gardens, but they fail utterly here. We get very late and very early frosts, so they never get big enough to flower or are killed before they get that far. shame I really like the pompom ones. We haven't the time to grow them in pots, before you ask.  ;D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »

Thank you George, some lovely Dahlias there.

When I was 14  8) I had my own Dahlia patch with about 50 different varieties growing on it, used to keep the tubers in the pig sheds over winter, covered in straw. Nice and warm in there. Come the spring then I would take cuttings.

Just a wee mistake if I may, numbers 29 and 31 have flowering dates that can't be right, I don't think you meant to put them in anyway?

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:15:05 PM »
A "multi -reply" here.
First, Ive changed the flowering times on the plants - thanks Malcolm.

During this week, I added "a few" Dahlias to the Master Database, bringing the total Dahlias to 2,428.
I do this programatically (source - the RHS on-line Plant Finder database) and in importing, I bring in 4 important bits of info:
1) Botanical Plant Name - the authoritative name
2) AGM (for plants with this award)
3) Classification (The RHS have classifications for both Dahlias and Gladiolus)
4) PBR (Plant Breeder rights information)

Unfortunately, the RHS Plant Finder database doesn't give flowering times, height, spread, or colour.
Ive gone for August to Oct as a blanket flowering period for all Dahlias (I was able to write one line of code and change all the 2,428 Dahlias in the Master Database. Some flower a little earlier, so I need to go back and edit those manually.

Having added all those plant names, I entered the names of the plants I seen at the show.
The Master Database was invaluable. Some of the names were written down quickly at the show (me!) and needed slight correction.
The new "Within" search field in GA100S00 is very useful in such cases, and I quickly found the correct names.

Next: Laurie asked if there were any Bishop of Llandaff on display. I didn't spot any, Laurie.

I learned something VERY important at the show, from Ken Laverick.
Ive tried storing Dahlia tubers in a Frost free shed over winter, and managed to get a few survivors. I recall dividing some of them, planting out in May, when frost danger had passed.
Ken informed me that you get much better flowering by taking cuttings from the tubers.
So, Malcolm, RE:
Come the spring then I would take cuttings.
You learned that trick at the age of 14! Since that marked the beginning of your gardening career, I can now understand how your garden is such a success!
I had a smile when I read about storing the tubers in pig sheds - a very good heat source, to guarantee frost free conditions!

That may explain why your Bishop is flowering so well, Laurie, and mine are "huffing and puffing".
Yours is newly planted this year, isn't that correct?
Next year, I'll take cuttings.

Finally, I have to sympathise with Eric, relating that he cant grow Dahlias in his region. Is it altitude, Eric?

The good thing about Dahlias is you can grow some really nice ones from seed. I agree with Eric - the pompons are beautiful. I grew some from seed and they survived for a few years in the ground, left undisturbed.
I was very impressed with the collarettes (a classification of Dahlias) at the show, in particluar D. 'Ann Breckenfelder' .
Shouldn't narrow it down - they are all gorgeous.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:19:06 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:43:51 AM »
I used to work for a nursery man who grew Dahlias both for selling as small plants from cuttings and as cut flowers for the local florists. He stored his dried tubers under the staging in a very large cold greenhouse (frostfree) then put the heating on in Jan to get them into growth so that he could take cuttings. I have a feeling that once he had plenty of rooted material he threw the originals away , but it was nearly 40 years ago, so it might have been the chrysanth stoools he discarded.
We are actually at quite a low altitude here, but we are in a bad frost pocket. It rolls in off the hills which are all round us. Also in spring we get the most vicious cold winds which do a lot moore damage than frost even. I probably could grow them if I had more time to take care of them, but one cannot grow everything, try as we might!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Difficult growing conditions there indeed, Eric. I notice you have quite a lot of fruit trees there. Ive read that late frosts can cause havoc to the blossom/pollination/fruit setting process. In my own garden, I have noticed a bad fruit year after a spring in which we had high winds. You've got both!
Are some years better than others?

Thanks for the info about the cuttings, Eric, and selling them as small plants.

I forgot to mention - the Dahlias make very good cut flowers! I cut a few blooms from each my own new varieties last Sunday and they are still looking fresh. I bought these at the N.I. Dahlia Soc stand  (the same society) at the Hillsborough Flower Show in June this year. Heres the list:
2 x Dahlia 'Emma's Coronet' (Pink)     (Mistake - meant to buy another variety)
Dahlia 'L'Ancresse' (White)
Dahlia 'Mary's Jomanda'   (Pink)  (My wife was tickled that it had her name)
Dahlia 'L.A.T.E.'   (Orange(ish))
All for £10

Theres a story behind that 'L.A.T.E.' one. More about that later.

At the show on Thursday, my wife bought a lovely bunch (5 blooms) of Dahlia 'Deborah's Kiwi' 
They are huge, and in pride of place in our living room.
They were on offer for £1.50. My good wife gave them a bit extra for their society.
Ive taken piccies, more to follow!