Author Topic: Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers  (Read 7261 times)

NightHawk

Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers
« on: November 29, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »
I would like to hear anyone's opinion about the Apple Macintosh range of Desktop computers (not Laptops) - preferably someone who's either using one now or has used one recently.  I know that George and Lynda (LyndaSpain) own, or have used, Macs, so I would welcome and value their input.

I have always been a Windows user, right from the 3.11 version way back when.

My current Windows PC is a few years old now, which I have fitted a new hard drive recently due to a crash but so far is still performing correctly.

Looking to the future, immediate or otherwise (who knows with computers  ::) ) I have been looking at the Apple web site at their current range.  I have always heard that their Operating System - OSX - is pretty much virus attack-free, mainly due to the fact that the Windows computers are the preferred target at the moment for hackers and virus writers.  The Apple OSX Operating System is reported to be the most stable platform too, being UNIX based, and their latest incarnation 'Leopard' sounds very impressive.  I have also heard that the graphics capabilities are better too.  And as Kathy and I do a lot of this type of work, this is an important consideration.

Now comes a dilemma.  All the software I use is Windows based, and I have a lot of them.  Buying the equivalent Mac versions would prove expensive.  I do know that you can run Windows programs on a Mac by having a dual boot sytem, but I don't want to be constantly re-booting from Mac to Windows, and vice-versa, to use my most favourite programs.

As many of my current programs are graphics-orientated, I need to have access to these on a daily basis.  Some of the programs I use, for example in our Address Labels design business, they are not as yet available in Mac versions.  This is a big minus for me, as they are vitally important.  If the Mac turns out to be an attractive and viable consideration, then I may be able to find equivalent programs that I most need.   :-\

If anyone has anything to offer, both the Pros and Cons, it would be much appreciated.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:36:32 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

NightHawk

Re: Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
I've decided to revive this topic (which sadly didn't spark any response originally), maybe because no-one had any info to offer  :-\

Anyway, I'm still using a Windows-based computer, but have gone away from the desktop PC in favour of a laptop.  Much more convenient in relation to space-saving, less wires running everywhere, and portability.

I'm seriously considering going over to a Mac so I've done a bit of research recently into the Apple Macintosh computers.  I'm a little confused about what's on offer though.  The Apple website mentions a MacBook, which looks like a Windows Laptop, so one of my questions is - is the Apple MacBook the equivalent of a Windows Laptop?

My original concerns of losing all my current Windows software seems to have been addressed through a program called Parallels, which allows the running of Windows programs on a Mac computer.  The next question is - is anyone successfully using the "Parallels" program on a Mac?

Computer use remains the same for me - a heavy workload of graphics design (using Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Illustrator CS5), photo manipulation, 3D character/scene design (using DAZ Studio), and our address labels design service.

These are all expensive versions of software which would be far too costly to replace for Mac versions, so the successful use of Parallels is essential.

Microsoft are about to release Windows 8 Operating System later this year, and reviews of people testing the pre-release version has not been too favourable up to now.

I know the Apple Mac has always had a good reputation for producing and displaying excellent graphics, so this is a big attraction to me for considering the 'change-over' from Windows.

So, if anyone is either using a Mac version 'Laptop' or knows someone who is, I would appreciate some feedback which could help me in my decision to go for one. 

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
I'm afraid the situation is the same in my case Laurie - I don't have much to offer on a MAC.
One of our Ideas Genie Pro users from Canada - MitchM on the forum, ran IG Pro on his MAC successfully.
I had an enquiry from a prospective Bank Genie user who asked about running it on a MAC and I replied to say Mitch was using IG Pro.
By coincidence Mitch emailed shortly after to say that he no longer uses his Macintosh for Windows programs as he needed to buy a separate windows computer for a number of other programs and that they still use the Mac for entertainment programs.
Ive emailed Mitch and told him about this current topic.

To summarise - If your MAC runs Parallels then Yes, it will work for IG Pro, but I haven't seen it first hand.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
Thanks for that George.

We'll see what Mitch has to say, and maybe some of our other members can add some input as well.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
Yes, I hope he can pay us a visit.

Ive read some of those comments about Windows 8, Laurie. My products are dependent on Windows so I hope they haven't shot themselves in the foot.
Apple must be a massive threat. Odhran is only one and three quarters  ;D and he can use his dads iPhone to find photos and display them- its that simple. That finger action is fine on a small device, but please don't tell me we are expected to do that on a desktop monitor :o

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:17:58 PM »
It seems like touch-screen technology is the new innovation that's popping up everywhere  ::)

E-book readers are doing away with the keyboard input in its favour.  GPS units with touch-screen are popular, as are mobile phones.

Apple's new range of iPads are touch-screen.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of touch-screen.  The only technology I have that employs it is my mobile phone.  It seemed like a good idea at the time of purchase, but it is very awkward and fiddly, often selecting screens and options I didn't really want.  If you've got delicate, slim fingers then it's probably a lot easier to use.  I suppose the more you use it the better you'll get at it.

For the moment at least, as long as we have a choice to use a computer keyboard for input, then I'll be happy.

As electrical devices get smaller and smaller, touch-screen technology removes a keyboard and hence makes the units more compact.

I may yet become a touch-screen convert, only time wiill tell  ::)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 11:41:25 PM »
Heres whats in store on the Windows 8 scene:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407801,00.asp
Expensive little items, arent they!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
I don’t have direct personal experience of Apple Macs, Laurie (apart from my ipad) but most of my photographer and artistic friends swear by them. I have been tempted but will keep going until my old computer gives up the ghost. My son, Tom, uses an Apple laptop and his family computer is an Apple too. He is an enormous fan. It is very neat with all the gubbins in the screen and just a small keyboard. I don't know how comfortable the keyboard is to use. Tom tells me a Mac is much more stable than using Windows. When I recently got infected by a trojan which sent emails to all my contacts (enclosing the trojan)  :( he told me that they don't need antivirus programmes either.
About programmes, I have just checked my Adobe Lightroom disc (I think that is one programme you use) and it will install Windows or Mac from the same disc.
Our eldest son, Adam, also uses an Apple laptop which he has had for quite a long time. He uses Windows on it but as far as I know doesn’t experience any trouble with it.
My ipad, as you say, has a touch screen. My main criticism is that you have continually to wipe your finger marks off it. I do have a stylus which helps to reduce the finger marks. It is a wonderfully clear screen for photographs.. The ipad virtual keyboard is large enough to be quite easy to use. I don’t look forward to a time when all computers are touch screen; that is a step to far in my opinion.
I know how agonising these decisions are but I hope that once you have made your choice you will be happy.

Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
Thanks for that info Eric, it's been really helpful.

It also confirms what I've read in various places, that Apple Mac's are much more stable and reliable than Windows PC's, but it's great to have feedback from people you know and whose opinions you trust.

I'm swinging over more towards a Mac now, but like you I'm waiting until my current PC gives up the ghost.

Eric, can you confirm if an Apple Mac Laptop is the same as a MacBook, or are they two separate items?

I know there are mini laptops called Notebooks (of which I have had one for a while now), which is basically a smaller version of a full size laptop running Windows.  I would want a full size screen laptop in a Mac version (i.e. something like a 16 inch screen size - and a keyboard of course), so if the MacBooks are the smaller equivalent then that's not what I would want.

This is where all this confusion comes from, when computer manufacturers make several models and sizes of PC and give them their own unique names  ::)

Also, that was good advice about Adobe Lightroom disc having a Mac version on it.  When I bought my Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 I got them on CD but had forgotten they had Mac versions as well as Windows versions on them. 
However, I've still got loads of other Windows software that I have electronic downloads of and would need to keep using.  This is where the 'Parallels' program would be a saviour.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
Eric, can you confirm if an Apple Mac Laptop is the same as a MacBook, or are they two separate items?
I don't know Laurie, but I looked this up on Amazon and they refer to it as an Apple MacBook Laptop http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MacBook-Laptop-Quad-Core-Graphics/dp/B006009L68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344096211&sr=8-3
It looks pretty expensive ::)
Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »
In comparison to Windows Laptop prices that does sound expensive  :o  Ho-hum  ::)

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »
Laurie:

I have added some text from a Computer Advice Column written by Patrick Marshall. He has been writing this column for the Seattle Times Newspapers for years.

I would look at him as a very capable person that might be able to help you come to a solution to your problem. Not necessarily by the subject matter of this particular letter writer, but more so as the fact that Mr. Marshall might address your problem directly. Since there are several ways to contact Mr. Marshall at the end of the article, I would think it might be interesting for you to make direct contact. If anybody has an answer (at least here in the States) I would think he would!

Q: We have owned a Mac OS X version 10.4.11 for seven years and like it very much. However, since we probably will need to buy a new computer in the near future, we are in a quandary. We are only interested in email, word processing and the Internet, of course. Maybe storing some music. After reading about the new Mountain Lion system with all the features we do not need, what computer or device should we look for? We are dinosaurs: no cell-phones, no iPads, IPhones, tablets, etc. Is this mission impossible?
- Arlette Claussen

A: If you like what you've been using and you can afford the higher cost of Apple equipment, I'd just stick with it. The extra dollars do get you very well-designed and durable equipment. And even if you switched platforms, you'd be buying into an operating system that offers more tools and capabilities than it seems you're looking for.

Unless there's an overriding priority, such as compatibility with equipment at work or a tight budget, what I generally suggest to people when they ask what platform to choose —Apple, Windows, Linux - is to check what your friends and family are using. They’re generally your first line of technical support.

Of course, if your needs are really limited as you indicate, you can save some dollars by selecting the right device, regardless of which operating system you choose.

You might be able to get by with a tablet and a key board, an ultrabook or even a netbook. These don't have  large screens, they're not expandable and they don't offer built-in DVD drives, but it sounds like you may not need those things.

Questions for Patrick Marshall may be sent by email to pmarshail@seattletimes.com or pgmarshali@pgmarshall.net; or by mail at Q&A/lTechnology, The Seattle Times, P.O. Box 70,
Seattle, WA98111.

More columns at www.seattletimes.com/qa.

(I've tried to correct any errors my OCR might have caused, when I scanned the above. If you find any errors that you can't figure out, let me know, I have saved the original copy from the newspaper. - Toby)

NightHawk

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
Thanks Toby for all that info.

I'll keep those contact details handy.

From what I've heard up to now the Macs seem to be very popular.  The only stumbling block for me at the moment is the higher cost of the Macs compared to the cheaper Windows Laptop prices.

I think when the time comes (and my current Laptop breaks down completely) then I would replace with a Mac.

I just wanted to have as much info to hand now as possible, because you never know when technology will decide to jump up and bite you in the behind  ::)

Laurie.