Plant Societies, Plant Associations and Garden Clubs > General Discussion

Hellebores

<< < (2/2)

ideasguy:
Thats a really nice collection you have there, Eric, in a wide range of very nice colours.
I'd love to have those in my garden!

RE:
--- Quote ---H. corsicus is a synonym for H. argutifolius
--- End quote ---
I thought so. Thats cleared that up!
On a search on H. corsicus using the RHS button in GA100S36, the RHS website brings up:
Helleborus
argutifolius  (H4) 55 supplier(s)
corsicus 'Marble' (v) 1 supplier(s)
That does indeed suggest that H. corsicus is a synonmy and H. argutifolius is the "name of the moment"
But interestingly, the species corsicus is still used for the cultivar 'Marble'

Suffice to say, its a lovely plant, with very handsome foliage all year, and absolutely masses of those pale green/yellowish flowers.
I have it planted beside Camellias. I think its a good companion colour for the reds and pinks.

Palustris:
Ours is a bit of a seed weed. I have to pull a lot of them out every year.

ideasguy:
One mans weed would be another mans pride. Funny isnt it!
That being the case, are they easy to grow from seed in the greenhouse?
How long to germinate?

Theres a good range of Hellebores in the Chiltern catalog:
Helleborus orientalis Mixed Hybrids (£3.30)
Helleborus Primrose and Yellow Hybrids   (£3.66)
Helleborus Very Best Spotted Hybrids (£3.64)
Are they worth a try?

Palustris:
With all respect to seed suppliers,  the seeds are as good as dead. Dried seed is very very hard to germinate. And in any case they tend to revert to the spotted pink. If you want seed and you remember at the correct time and you ask me I will try to send you some. We usually have tons.
It is better sown fresh and left to the weather to germinate in Spring. Takes three years to reach flowering size.

ideasguy:
Do you mean to sow outdoors?
I'll take a half ton of those seeds when they are ready, Eric!  :D

I recall from some of my previous orders that Chiltern keep some of their seed in cold storage, so that would be almost like a part of the stratifying process. They advised to sow the ones taken from cold storage immediately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version