Ideas Genie Pro > The Labels program GA048

Testing required - Sample label stock from Ripped Sheets

(1/16) > >>

ideasguy:
For easy reference, EDITED to insert a link to the Project which goes with this topic.
http://www.ideasgenie.co.uk/Labels/RippedSheets/rippedsheets.html

Toby (aka the Boss) has been working with me on the Labels program for a couple of years now.
He has made contact with Avery, Orion and Ripped Sheets (in the US) and has obtained samples.
Ive designed a number of templates to allow him to use IG Pro to produce labels using the samples.
Toby has been doing very practical tests to ascertain if they are good for our horticultural applications.

Toby was impressed with the results of the tests on the Ripped Sheets labels.
The ones which did well in his tests are adhesive backed, suitable for sticking to a number of surfaces (pots, label supports etc)

He made contact with them again, explained about the IG Pro label printing facility, and organised more free samples for us both.
Mine arrived a week ago (in actual fact - before Toby received his!).

I now have 5 sheets and Toby has suggested I let our members have a sheet each to try them out.

We need to record the results and if they prove suitable, I could order a stock (in bulk) for use by IG Pro users on this side of the Atlantic.

The ones recommended are designed for Ink-jet printers, using normal ink cartridges.
Heres the details on the sample sheets:
http://www.rippedsheets.com/inkjet/outdrperma.html

Note this:

--- Quote ---Rippedsheets.com exclusive 104000 Waterproof White Vinyl Permanent Self Adhesive has special chemistry that turns all inkjet inks into waterproof inks in one pass through the printer
--- End quote ---

and this:

--- Quote ---The clear acrylic adhesive is permanent on many surfaces
--- End quote ---

I'm now designing a number of templates for US sized sheets (8.5 x 11 ins), the size of the sample sheets.

Ideally, we would like to hear the results from a number of different (inkjet) printers.

If you have an application for adhesive backed labels, and would like a sample sheet for testing, then please let me know what size of labels you would find useful (as you know, one sheet can produce a number of labels,depending on the template).

Currently "the team" are testing a template with 16 labels per sheet (Portrait Photo, Name above photo, Text to right and text below)
I can do more templates per your specific requirements. Remember, make sure its something of genuine use to you, so there is  practical purpose to the exercise.

bossgard:
I think that we are very fortunate to have received these Ripped Sheets #10400 sample labels to test with IG Pro GA048. It?s not every label manufacturer that will do that free of charge, even paying for the postage to get them to George and myself.

I still have the first Ripped Sheet samples that I tested outside in the weather; the ink (Epson DuraBrite) is just as clear and sharp as the day printed. The color photo is the sharpest and clearest that I have ever seen reproduced on label stock. The adhesive has stuck to all the materials I used for testing; pots of terracotta and plastic, ceramic, glass, plastic potstics, painted metal. The Avery control labels didn?t do to well.

A wonderful lady has been my contact at Ripped Sheets. And yes, she did ask a favor in return.

She would like to have those that are testing the label stock inform her, the results of testing using the various INKJET printers. I told her that I would be happy to comply with that request.

I am starting to pull together a ?score-card? that might help us keep track of that information. So I ask the question; ?What to you, makes a good gardening label?? How long should the adhesive stick? What material(s) are you sticking it to? How long should the printing last? What happens when it gets wet, when it?s splashed with fertilizer, or pesticide, or herbicide? When it?s handled by a dirty garden glove, or rubbed by another container? All of these things would be important to me! What?s important to you?

Also, I would like to have the UK label team discuss among themselves how long of a period it would want to continue the testing? 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, a year?

Malcom, as I understand you have an Epson Printer that uses DuraBrite ink, would you please use that for a ?control? set of labels? The other members of the team could then base their results on how their random inkjet labels are holding up against DuraBrite ink.

Another thing that I have found useful in my testing of the various labels; as part of the data, I would include the label stock number (in this case #10400), the model and make of printer (abbreviated), and the approximate date of putting the label to test.

The GA048 label program and resultant testing has been very exciting to me, and as far as I am concerned, I will continue to use the Ripped Sheets labels! They have worked out very well for me! If the random inkjet inks will adhere to the Ripped Sheets label surface, then we?ve got it made! Good luck!

(I?m testing four different inkjet printers here in the US as I label my Tuberous Begonias.)

- Toby

ideasguy:
Very well written Toby, and many thanks for initiating this project.

The Score Card is a good idea. We can gather the input from replies on this topic and then compile the results.
Should be very interesting, and a good promotion for our Label Printing program (GA048)

roiphil:
If you have a sheet of labels approx size 50mm by 30mm i will try out on my bed labels ussing my kodak printer with normal inkjet ink, its the printer that you see advertised on telly saving x amount of money on ink each year, inkcartridge packaging says kodacolour technology means image quality speed and longevity in every print,

thats if your still loooking for guinea pigs  ;) ofcourse

ideasguy:
Thats a good application Phil.
Need a photo? Might be a bit small!
If not, one Rich text data field would be perfect for your text.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version