Photography > Questions

Very odd lighting

<< < (4/4)

Palustris:
Did this with similar method using PS7

Will post the method when I have remembered what I did  ::)  :-[

NightHawk:
That's a great effort Eric, not a bad result.

I was surprised that all the menu options were not available in PS7 though.  Photoshop Elements (PSE) is a slightly stripped down version of it, so I expected PS7 to have at least those options and more.  Ho hum.  ::)

I don't have PS7, so I couldn't compare it with PSE.

Anyway, you've got a very acceptable result.  You've got rid of that horrible colour cast, which was the main stumbling block.  You can always tweak any other things like the brightness later on to your heart's content, until you're completely happy with it, which is much easier to do.

Just hope you can remember those steps you took to get there.  :)

Laurie.

Lynda A:
I think I will take a photograph with bad lighting, just so i can use your instructions Laurie   :)

NightHawk:
Lynda, if you ask Eric (Palustris) nicely, I'm sure he'll allow you to copy his photo from the Forum and practice on that.  ;D

That way you've got exactly the same conditions to play around with, and to compare your results.

I think Eric has raised a very important point here from the outset by posting this problem he encountered.

It goes to prove that, through no fault of your own, a photo you really wanted could be spoiled by such a silly thing as bad artificial lighting.

But this little exercise has proved that it is not the end of the world.  Software can come to your rescue, as seen here.

Some people may say it's cheating, but you alter your camera settings to cope with all sorts of situations, which is a similar principle.  Cameras are good up to a point, so all you're doing is using software settings to help out where the camera couldn't easily cope.

I hope other members will also see the advantage here.  Of course, not everyone has the graphics software or the necessary experience to enhance their photos this way, but if you do then they all go hand-in-hand to give you that ultimate great shot.

Let's face it, I know professional photographers who end up using graphics software to enhance their photos.  It's no big shame to do that, so if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me.  ;)

Laurie.

Eric Hardy:
I have just noticed this topic and have read Laurie's admirable explanation. I just have Elements 3 on the computer (Elements 5 on the laptop). and I tried to see what the simplest method is using Elements 3. I only used two processes. First I clicked Enhance/Adjust Colour/Remove Colour Cast then using the eye dropper I clicked on what I thought would be the whitest bit of the label. This gave the colour you see below. I then clicked on Enhance/Adjust Lighting/Levels and drew the right hand slide leftwards until it reached the right hand edge of the histiogram. The result was this. Only Eric will know how true it looks.

Hope this helps too.

Eric H

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version