Author Topic: Duplicating Tasks  (Read 3103 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
Duplicating Tasks
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:21 PM »
So when I duplicate tasks the program GAO47S11 won't let me select the same task name. I thought I will outsmart it and just capitalize the letters of the name. Oh well, it doesn't like it either. I don't want to change the name so much, that later I won't be able to remember what my task is. So for now I just figured out I call it instead "transplant onion" -"transplant onion 2009" that it lets me do, but it still would be better just duplicating the whole thing.

Isabell
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:11:14 PM by diegartenfrau »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Duplicating Tasks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:08:32 AM »
Well, youve done what I just suggested in the other topic  :)
I could make the program relax a bit ( ;)) and allow the same name to be used the following year, but not in the same year (two tasks with the same name in a list would be ambiguous)

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:27:30 AM »
Hm,

maybe I don't understand what the duplicating task is supposed to do and what it can't do.

I was under impression I can duplicate a task to then use the same task in the new year.
So I just went through the big job of duplicating each task of Garden 2008, adding 2009 to each task name and I thought when I then, after all is done. I can go to garden 2009, generate my tasks for each month and then it shows me the tasks I just renamed. But there are none. I thought I would just see them in the screen GAO47SO1 but I can scroll through all the months, none are there. So then I thought I have to generate them in Screen GAO47SO2, but they are not in there either. Aside in February it shows on the left side of screen under 'care topics' it says seed indoor >under 'Genus list'  Allium, Apium but then on the right side of screen under' Existing Tasks for this care topic' there are none.

I am confused. Can I not duplicate Tasks from one year to the other. what would you use the duplicate button for otherwise?

Isabell

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:35:46 AM »
Ahh, I think I figured just out what is going on. ::)
I have not put all my plants into the holding area. It just seemed to be so much work yesterday. But I have all my onions, leek and celery in there already. That is probably why those show up and not the other plants. I guess I have to do more work today.

Isabell

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:51:49 AM »
The program only generates tasks for plants that are in Garden Areas, Isabell
Imagine this:
If someone was using the Master database with 36,000 plants and clicked the button to generate tasks, theyd be off-line this forum and pretty busy for a while   :'(
Hence, tasks only for plants actually in your garden.

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:29:13 AM »
So I was right. I have to have plants in the garden.
But now another thing.

So now I am in Screen GAO47SO2 Tasks

Left screen Care topics and Genus List I can generate the care topics and get the plants on the bottom
'plants for selected Genus which may need care this month'
on the right side there is
'existing Tasks for this Care Topic' below that 'Plants included in this task'
I thought I would get the tasks I duplicated in this list, but it looks like I have to redo them all.
There are none what show up. So what does the 'duplicate' do exactly, if I don't see the result in my Garden 2009?

I can go to my Vegetable garden 2008 and on the left side there are the green arrows which let you move through the years and when I move it to 2009, all the tasks show up in there.
They don't show up in 2009 when I do that.

So when I redo each task for 2009 then I also don't have the notes for that task in there. Which means I would have to redo it all. So that does not really save me any time, because the care topics I could generate for this year as long I have the plants in the garden. Am I right?

I am still confused, but not as much as before
Isabell

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »
Yes, I can see your frustration, Isabell.

(1)
So that other members can follow, heres the steps.
In the initial screen (GA047S01) of the Tasks program
First, you select a Task (click) then
Click the Duplicate button
takes you to screen GA047S11

IMPORTANT NOTE: The program sets the Do Year to NEXT year, with respect to the Task being Duplicated
Hence:
They don't show up in 2009 when I do that.
I wonder did that catch you out? Try looking in 2010. If there, you can correct the Data

That screen is holding all the details of the selected Task
You then can then change the Month and/or Year
Note that the program changes the DO date to the same day, but next year
Using the Radio Button, You can also opt to duplicate 1) Same Plants list or 2) I will select plants later
Click Add

That duplicates the task, but in the same Garden and Same Area.
Currently there is no facility to duplicate a task in one garden to another garden or from one garden area to another.

(2)
The Generate Tasks Button in GA47S01
Takes you to GA047S02
When you click the Generate button, the program regenerates a whole new list of plants based on the care definitions in your database,for he month selected - again for plants in your garden, as distinct from all plants in your database.
To define Plant Care, get into the Plant Profile screen GA100S36 (i.e. edit a plant in any program), click Plant care button, then click Define Plant Care.
This takes you to the Global editing screen GA100S30PC
I can tell you that I spent many happy hours developing that suite of screens (to see the full suite, click the Culture and Sizes button at the bottom of the screen)

This may help you.
Open TWO sessions of IG Pro (click the IG Pro icon on the desktop twice)
In session 1,open the 2008 task so you can see your task notes. Copy task notes (usual copy and paste technique)
In session 2 open the 2009 task. Paste into task notes field
One word of warning with two sessions. Dont try to EDIT or DELETE the same task, same plant, same specimen - generally, same record of any type.

Does that help Isabell?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:07:55 PM by ideasguy »

Offline diegartenfrau

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:07:29 PM »
I just followed your last directions. So I now got one of the tasks with all notes and dates in Garden year 2009, but it is weird it numbers the task #93. In the year 2008 it is task # 52. It doesn't make any sense to me because if I really can't generate the tasks in Garden 2009 and have to rename them and copy/paste the notes and dates, then why does the program think they are there? It thinks they are there but won't show them to me?

I just wonder, how many tasks can I put into the program? Is it at some time down the road filled with too many tasks and won't let me add any more, aside I delete the old ones?

Isabell
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:11:43 PM by diegartenfrau »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Every task you add is assigned a new unique Task number, so even if you duplicate a task, the duplicated task will be assigned a new number.
You can add up to and including 999,999 tasks, Isabell, so I don't think you'll run out of numbers.

RE:
It doesn't make any sense to me because if I really can't generate the tasks in Garden 2009 and have to rename them and copy/paste the notes and dates, then why does the program think they are there?

I'm not understanding that, Isabell. Can you explain that in more detail?

So I (and members reading this) can better understand, Isabell, could you detail out the Gardeners and Garden Areas in the database you are working with.

Is this your Vegetables database, with vegetables only? Do you also have the Flowers database,with all the flowers included? 
I know you were setting this up last year.