Author Topic: Using GA100S36 to enter plant data  (Read 2508 times)

Offline bossgard

Using GA100S36 to enter plant data
« on: January 11, 2009, 06:32:25 PM »
George and Other Members:

I?m entering data from seed packets that I have just purchased and I want to make sure that the information on the packet is entered into the correct place on screen GA100S36.

The titles of the info on the packet are: GENERAL PLANT DESCRIPTION which also contains MATURITY, and also these different titles; SOWING, SPACING, THINNING, TRANSPLANTING, GERMINATION, and the seed distribution company owner?s SPECIAL ADVICE containing his remarks about germinating and growing each plant.

I?m trying to match these up with categories on the screen, particularly CULTIVATION, PROPAGATION, PESTS & DISEASES and PLANT or elsewhere.

Is there a word glossary included anywhere in the help or tutorial sections? I couldn?t find anything.

Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

- Toby

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Using GA100S36 to enter plant data
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
Toby i would be inclined to do this
GENERAL PLANT DESCRIPTION- in data for this plant cultivar
MATURITY, -in data for this plant cultivar
SOWING, -in propagation
SPACING, -in cultivation
THINNING, -in cultivation
TRANSPLANTING,- in cultivation
GERMINATION,- in propagation
SPECIAL ADVICE -in plant care
PESTS & DISEASES -do a search and see what you can find if info not on package

i dont see why you could not put all of this info in plant care aswell
hope that helps in any way
Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
Phil, you have echoed my exact thoughts!
I too would have advised putting the data into exactly the same "pockets" you described, and indeed to (additionally) put it into the Data for this Plant/Cultivar!

To Toby:
The Propagation and Propagation fields apply to all plants in the Genus.
Thus if you put your Sowing information into the Propagation field for (say) Begonia 'Aaaaa', then add a plant called Begonia 'Bbbb' the Propagation data will be inherited by that plant. Its one record of text with widespread application.

One thing. If the Propagation notes or Culivation notes are specific to a single plant (i.e. dont apply to all plants in the genus) then you can mention that in your Propagation notes.
e.g. (suggestion)
The following notes for sowing seed were taken from a packet of Begonia 'Aaaa'

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:16:36 PM »
Hey, guess what! I had been doing it that way with those that I entered last year. Exactly the same. However, the real reason I asked the question was I have fooled around with the Global Editing stuff just a littlle wee bit, and thought I had better get 'official ruling' before I continue. The Global Editing looks like real powerful stuff, and I wanted everything to work right! Thanks, Phil and George!

- Toby